• May 24, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: starter relay?  (Read 376 times)

pumpkin

• Training Wheels
starter relay?
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »

I just put a new battery in last year. By the end of the season it was shot. Sometimes the starter would spin by itself. got a new battery today. When I hook up the terminals the starter kicks on. I,m thinking a short somewhere. Maybe that,s what killed the last battery. Any ideas? 2008 gv650

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: starter relay?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »

It could be a bad relay.

Else, the relay is getting signal where it shouldn't. Check by disconnecting the small two pin connection that goes into the relay. If the bike still tries to start, then the relay is dead.

The way a relay works is that there are four connections. Two connections have thick wire that carries high current. Both of those big wires are +'ve. One is for power direct from the battery, the other is a high current cable to the +'ve terminal on your starter motor.

There is also a pair of smaller wires that power an electromagnet inside the relay. By default, the starter relay is (..or I will say should be) "open", which means that no power goes to the starter motor. When you press the button on your forward control to start the bike, this provides power to the electro magnet and it closes the bridge and allows power to go to the starter motor.

Sounds to me like the mechanism may be jammed closed.  ..in simple terms, I think your starter relay is fuqued.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
Re: starter relay?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:09:55 AM »

What USD said. Starter solenoid (heavy duty relay) is turned on.
Remove little wires from solenoid and see if starter motor still wants to spin when you connect up the battery.
If yes then starter solenoid needs replacing.

If no then wiring from the handlebar starter button is providing power to trigger the starter solenoid. Check for dodgy push button assembly.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Pages: [1]