• August 05, 2020, 07:27:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2008 GT650R Wont start  (Read 1678 times)

AlwaysFixingIt

• Training Wheels
2008 GT650R Wont start
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:40:34 AM »

New stator new battery. Turn bike on with kill switch set to off. The dash lights up fuel gauge ticks to the proper level. The issue is when you go to hit the ignition switch and try to turn the bike over, absolutely nothing happens. You dont hear the fuel prime, and the starter doesnt click. So the bike will not start or attempt to crank over. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Rangerscott

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: 2008 GT650R Wont start
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:04:59 AM »

'08's are carbed so you're not gonna hear a fuel pump prime since it doesnt have an electric fuel pump.

You can get some jumper cables and go directly to the starter and see if it spins.  If it does than its a bad connection somewhere from the switch to the starter.

If it doesnt spin than the starter solenoid could be bad.

AlwaysFixingIt

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:10:19 AM »

Before getting the new battery i tried to jump it off with cables and with everything off and no key in the bike it would try to crank on its own. When i did it agian with the key it would try to crank but wouldnt start. Would this still mean its the starter or could also be another iissue?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:37:48 AM »

Wait. I'm confused. Why would you try and start the bike with the kill switch set to off?

The start circuit has a few conditional logic switches in it.

1. Kill switch must be set to run.
2. If the side stand stand safety switch reports that the side stand is down, then the gear position sensor must report the bike to be in neutral. If the bike is in gear, the starter will not be triggered.
3. Clutch safety switch must report the clutch lever to be being pulled.

Suggestion: Put the bike in neutral and try and start it. If it doesn't start then the issue is either the clutch safety switch on the clutch lever perch, or the starter relay.

You can bypass the clutch and side stand safety switches by simply bridging them. A pair of male bullet connectors on a short wire is ideal. Don't cut and twist. Headache to undo.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:41:44 AM by umop-ǝpisdn »
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AlwaysFixingIt

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:09:59 AM »

Apologies, basically everything in set for the bike to run, bike is in nuetral, i even have the kickstand up for good measure, holding the clutch, killswitch is off or not activated. And when i go to hit the ignition switch nothing ticks, clicks or shows signs or attempting to do anything.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »

Ok, so then it's a matter of figuring out which bit is broken.

1st, you need to make a pair of these loops. One to bypass the clutch safety switch and the other to bypass the side stand safety switch.

You will need some wire, four bullet connectors and a crimping tool.

Strip the ends off

Crimp:

Finished product:

A firm, but not ridiculous tug on each connector to make sure it's on right.

Next, you will need a multi-meter.

Locate the starter relay. It's to under the seat and to the right.

You must first bypass the two safety switches for these tests to be valid! Be careful, the bike may try and start even when in gear, with the side stand down. Make sure it's in neutral! ..Ideally, to cover all possible risks, you might also take out the spark plugs, in case the reason it's not spinning is due to hydro-locking.

Unplug the connector going in to the relay and stick the probes of the multimeter into the opposite connector, on the wiring loom's side, NOT the relay side. You're looking for a voltage, but only when the starter button it pressed. If there is voltage all the time, that's bad (jammed starter button, or rust inside the RHS forward control), if there is no voltage when you press the start button, that it also bad (cut wire somewhere). If it's working correctly and there is 12ish volts when you press the starter button, then move on.

If the signal checks out, then put the bike in neutral, uncover the two poles on the starter relay so that the wires are exposed, then get a dirty big screw driver, or ratchet and touch it across the two poles, expect a huge spark and many theatrics. If the motorcycle attempts to start, then the problem is the relay and you will need a new one. You WANT it to be the relay, as this is the cheapest and easiest problem to fix.

If the starter motor doesn't turn, then the problem is either the battery, the wire to the starter motor, or the starter motor itself. If the starter spins, but the engine isn't turning over, it could be the starter clutch. If there is an almighty clunk and the engine doesn't turn, or if a huge amount of petrol was just squirted out of one of the cylinders, then your engine may be 'hydro-locked'.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: [1]