• August 25, 2019, 12:54:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hyosung Suspension Adjustments?  (Read 1737 times)

Croakie

• Learner rider
Hyosung Suspension Adjustments?
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:55:44 AM »

I have a 2008 Hyosung Gt650s (Carb Model)

I would like to know if it is possible to adjust the front/ rear suspension? And if so, how so?

The bike feels very unsettled and very unwilling to lean in to most corners. I have been told this is usually suspension/ tire pressure related.

Also, i did a general search and came up with very general answers - what should the tire pressure be?
1up and 2up?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Hyosung Suspension Adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »

Here's a bit of info to get things started, although I have to say my bike is as set up when I bought it (!) - tyre pressures in handbook are front 33/rear 36psi for both solo and dual riding.

Suspension is adjustable, screws on top of fork legs, rotating collar on back fork - mine is set S (soft) on both fork legs and rear shock is on middle of 5 settings, and I find this feels fine, although I'm not a 'flat out' on corners rider.  Others report changing oil in forks makes a big difference too.

Tyres might also have an effect - I hated the Dunlops on my SV650S especially in the wet, and the original Hyosung tyres (maybe 'squared off' with wear?) felt odd in corners and 'white lined' a bit too, so I replaced them with Continental Conti-Motions which are great, bike handles really well,  safe and predictable with these tyres and suspension settings in all conditions.

Croakie

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

thanks for the reply I will have a look in to those adjustments. I will have to google what 36psi is in bar though haha.

I am not a flat out rider either, but I don't like chicken strips and the handling seems to be getting more worse than good over time. The handling right now is the opposite of confidence inspiring so instead of going into a corner and maintaining line and speed etc, I usually find myself very unsettled and the bike not quite going where it needs to.

There was a time when I had no chicken strips on the back tire and breakfast runs used to be fun, but as of late I feel very intimidated going around corners. I go around corners much faster on my ZX250.

Oh and the tires that are on are still stock tires that came with the bike. Haven't put too many miles on it since theres always some problem or another with it.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »

2.25/2.5 bar (kg/m2 in handbook) - I was losing confidence in the bike's handling until I changed tyres last year - it was transformed, and now feels brilliant!!

More expense though..... ;)

thunderrun53

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »

Tires play a huge part in rider confidence.  However, do not use "chicken strips" as any kind of assessment of your riding skill.  Putting a tire on edge on the street is gambling a bit too much.  If you are at the point of using the entire tire, you need to start adding body position adjustments. 
If you are at the edge of your tire and you have no where else to go, what happens if you . You have limited grip and your traction patch is going to be about half the size of a credit card.  Moving some of your body weight out will reduce the lean angle and keep you from losing all traction and you'll go faster.

Adjusting suspension is an art form as well.  You need to set your static sag on the front and the back.  Sag is pretty easy to set, but you need a friend to help out.  Sag is generally recommended at 30mm for street riding and 25mm for track.  Stick closer to 30mm for the Hyosung.  Once you get sag set, you can start making compression and rebound adjustments.  There are dozens of guides online that can help with what adjustments will address handling problems.  You can also make some adjustments on the Hyosong by dropping fork ride height for quicker turn in speed.  Some folks forget about the fork height. 

If you want to really discover what your bike can do, go to a track day/lapping day. 
ASMA #118
2014 ASMA Sportsman's Cup Champion

The Stable
2015 Hyosung GT650R
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 - the Skunk
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2004 Kawi EX250 - the Banana of Doom
2012 Ducati 848 Evo

Croakie

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »

Ok, so i took a stab this weekend when I had some time to look at the suspension set up. The fronts were already set on "H", not equally though. I set them all the way up and they still feel soft, so I guess fork oil replacement is in order.

As for the rear shock, it was already set on the hardest setting and it is also very spongy. So either a recondition or something aftermarket may be in order. I can already tell sag is more than 30mm though when I sit on the bike

I will start with tires before I look at a replacement shock though

vivtsingh

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

Front forks are adustable .. top screws for preload and bottom for damping
ride it like you stole it..

Pages: [1]