• April 24, 2017, 02:10:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: a note about the headlights  (Read 421 times)

mgordonvegas8

• Learner rider
a note about the headlights
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »

I am not sure if I am the only one who has this problem, it might be so because of the mods I that have been done to the rear tailight.

After finally getting the rear tailight wired up and working, I found I couldn't get both headlights to come on at the same time.  Looking at the hyosung 650 wiring harness, it appears the hyosung does not use dual filament bulbs.  The hyosung high/low beam function seems to be handled by using two separate lights stacked vertically (you can see this on pics of the 650r/650s).  Since the Fisher users two horizontal lights the high low beam only turns one light on at a time.

I attempted to fit some dual filament bulbs but their width makes it really hard with the standard Fisher headlight lenses.

For now my simple solution was to make it so that one headlight stays on regardless (after the bike starts of course) and then the 2nd headlight comes on when the high beam switch is flicked or the passing switch is pressed.

Its pretty simple making this happen, all you have to do is open up the switchgear/riders left hand controls and get the switch out and then make a perm connection via solder on the switch.  The switch is set up so the low beam is a circuit between the top/1st white wire and the 2nd/middle yellow wire.  The high beam is a circuit of the bottom/3rd yellow wire and and the 2nd/middle yellow wire.   I dropped some solder onto between the top/1st white wire and the 2nd/middle yellow so there is always a connection between these two even the switch is flicked to the other setting

NOTE:  The passing switch uses the yellow wire so if you connect the yellow and the yellow w/white stripe you lose the passing switch functionality

Right now the switch works fine, when the bike starts, one headlight comes on automatically and when the hi low toggle is flipped the 2nd light comes on.   I am now looking for some brighter bulbs for one of the lamps so the high beam/flasher will be a bit brighter.

Just thought I would pass along...feel free to shoot me a note with any questions.

Martin

PS  this should be the last little bit of maintenance on my bike, finally ready to ride!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:49:43 AM by mgordonvegas8 »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: a note about the headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:22:41 AM »

The ideal solution would be to replace the projectors with a bixenon setup.

The morimoto products are very famous. http://www.theretrofitsource.com

They're not a straight swap. This is a high level mod.

Bixenon projectors have an adjustable cutoff louvre that flicks open when the high beam is active.

The motorcycle stage 2 dual setup is not cheap at $270 USD but will actually double your light output. ..not just claim to, but actually, properly double it.

This process will be legit full on though, involving putting your rare and difficult to find headlight assembly in an oven and heating up the glue until you can pull it apart, remove the stock projector lenses and retro fit the bixenon ones. It will require careful use of epoxy glue and the creation of new mounting points out of high temperature plastics, ie not acrylic. They would also need to be adjusted so that the cutoff lines match.

Precise work needed.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: [1]