• August 23, 2017, 09:12:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ebay Tachometer/speedometer conection!!!  (Read 2434 times)

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Ebay Tachometer/speedometer conection!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »

Those crimp connectors anywhere near those ignition coils is the worst idea ever. Good luck when your stuck at the side of the road in the pissy rain wishing you learned how to heat up a piece of metal and flux a wire. If you desperately want to use a crimp connector then get the ones with the rubber boots not those plastic crummy ones which degrade in a year or two and the plastic falls off.

Take the time now rather than wishing you did waiting for recovery or worse the fire department.

an what exactly is wrong with spade connectors on the input to the coil? Thats how they are from factory on majority of bikes. Besides, its not modifying the factory loom, and the coil signal wire would still have its origional connector , just connected via a piggyback spade . the only thing that would be crimped would be the tacho wire , so if that fell out of the crimp, tacho stops working.... no big deal at all :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:35:27 PM by Dojy_biker »
***Solution looking for a problem***

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »

I hope I finally figured out how to put in photos :)
This is a photo of the speedometer, coil and the wire I'm sure you are talking about:)

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r608/Blaken88/IMG_2009_zpsgsjvgqkg.jpg

yup thats the wire u need. the orange is a shared common positive - so you want the other one

Blaken

• Training Wheels
  • Why is it all so difficult ;)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »

I just fiddled around with a battery and a 12v charger, and now I finally saw the needle jump a little, so now I finally figured out what I need to do, now I just need to figure out where to place the wires 😅

Blaken

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

But there's 3 wires, but I can understand that it's not the orange ??🤔

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

theres only two connections on the coil. one is the common positive (not the one u want)
and the other is the signal from ECU. the reason you have two wires on it is most likely because thats where the factory loom wires the standard tacho to. ;)

Blaken

• Training Wheels
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »

Can it be right that the motorcycle doesn't want to start if I take out the black and yellow wire ??🤔

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »

yes of course. it needs to be on. i feel like banging my head on the wall will be easier then this. im a gonna go do it...........  :P

Blaken

• Training Wheels
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »

Challenge: make the wall bang your head ;)

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »

Those crimp connectors anywhere near those ignition coils is the worst idea ever. Good luck when your stuck at the side of the road in the pissy rain wishing you learned how to heat up a piece of metal and flux a wire. If you desperately want to use a crimp connector then get the ones with the rubber boots not those plastic crummy ones which degrade in a year or two and the plastic falls off.

Take the time now rather than wishing you did waiting for recovery or worse the fire department.

an what exactly is wrong with spade connectors on the input to the coil? Thats how they are from factory on majority of bikes. Besides, its not modifying the factory loom, and the coil signal wire would still have its origional connector , just connected via a piggyback spade . the only thing that would be crimped would be the tacho wire , so if that fell out of the crimp, tacho stops working.... no big deal at all :P

As someone who's said they work in a bike shop as a mechanic you should know the difference between a factory production line crimped connection and that shitty blue plastic one you posted. Plus, the factory ones have the rubber boots on. Along side that, just because a factory produces your loom that way does not mean to say you should stop at that standard. That standard is cheap and efficient, not always the best or best quality. Hence why I suggested buying better quality crimp connectors with boots that you can pack with grease.

Your mentality of whats the worst that can happen if it falls out of the crimp sums it up. My mentality is make sure that's never going to happen, as I said, think about it when your stranded at the side of the road.

What would I know ey.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:26:33 AM by Joss »

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »

not starting an argument here, but IF CRIMPED CORRECTLY They are perfectly fine. yes i agree the fools that use side cutters to crimp and wonder why they fall off are ridiculous , but they are honestly fine. I ran some on my last bike on my coil connections & they we fitted on the bike for 15 years with no problems at all. the rubber boots you mention are a good idea if the connectors are exposed to the elements as they help stop corrosion of the connectors and prevent accidental shorts.

Best practice for fitting crimp connectors is always to use the correct size for the gauge of wire you are using them on, if you can : Tin the end of the wire with solder to prevent future wire corrosion (old blackened copper = bad) use the correct crimp tool and fit a protective boot where possible.

There is really nothing bad about crimp connectors, just the people that use them wrong.

if the tack wire breaks or "fall out" due to not being fitted correctly , it is really no big deal, you WONT get stranded because of it. i would rather advise to use a crimp end piggy-back then a inline wire tap. Wire taps are bad on so many levels (damaging & weakening original wiring for starters). and definitely do not advise twist and tape crap either :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:12:16 PM by Dojy_biker »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4