• May 28, 2017, 01:53:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2012 GV250 EFI Charging System Fix/Which Roadster Cycle kit is best?  (Read 1479 times)

DannyV

• Training Wheels

Hey all, been a lurker since I got my bike in August 2016, which I think has helped me diagnose my issue thus far but seeing as some confirmation would be good, and the riding season is starting back up here in Canada, I figured I'd join in on the fun.

I stopped riding first week of December and have basically had the bike hooked up to the battery charger in the garage all winter barring a week or two. A few times over winter I noticed the bike wouldn't start but I assumed it was due to the cold/not having it hooked up to the charger for a week or so. When I had it charged up, would start and run absolutely fine, as it has for the past few weeks. But I noticed more so in the past week or so when weather has been good, after I ride it around and bring it back in, within a few days of not riding if it isn't plugged in there won't be enough juice to start it. Plug up to the charger and once it's charged all is well again.

I assumed a week ago it might be a charging system issue from reading so much on here. Finally after the bike died less than an hour after it was fully charged (was teaching brother how to ride in a parking lot nearby), and having to push start (worked the first time!) and get home, I figured I'd look into things.

Using a multimeter on two occasions (my crappy digital and analog multi and then my uncle's proper one) I've found:

Stator yellow wires: Ohm readings are inline with what the GV250 EFI Service Manual says, and the AC Volts from the analog multi shows ~60V at idle and higher than that as I revved the engine.

Battery: Now it wasn't fully charged as I'd been tinkering prior, but on my uncle's multi with the bike off it read 12.6v, once started (on one occasion we measured starting and it quickly dipped to 10.something volts before heading back up) it would read 13.6-13.8v. When revved to 5000 RPM the voltage would drop by 0.2v roughly. Eventually from idle/high revving, the idle voltage creeped up to 14v, but would still drop a little when at 5000 RPM and only show similar idle voltage when at ~10,000 RPM

R/R: unplugging the 3 and 2 pin connector and checking the ohms, I wasn't able to get any readings from most of the pins except for one or two. According to the service manual, I should've been getting them.

My guess has always been that it's the R/R, does this info back that up? I just feel like it's odd that this happened considering the bike has only 5100 km (previous owner only did 2200 km on it) and it functioned absolutely fine from August 2016-December 2016. I should note the previous/original owner installed 2 small led strips along the gas tank and 2 even smaller ones at the rear fender as running visibility lights. There's also two driving lights that are installed to a switch that has been off/I very rarely ever use.

Anyhow, thoughts? Does it look like my battery and stator are okay, and that it's just the R/R somehow? Also regarding the Shindengen R/R from Roadster Cycles, which kit should I be getting? I assumed the Hyosung Link kit but I've read otherwise from certain threads? I just want to make sure I'm ordering the proper thing as it's going to be quite pricey for me here in Canadian $ and being a novice rider and student, I'm all eager to ride without trying to make any costly mistakes.

Cheers, thanks in advance, and sorry for the extra details. I love this bike and just want to get to riding it!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: 2012 GV250 EFI Charging System Fix/Which Roadster Cycle kit is best?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

More likely to be a faulty cell in the battery!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »

More likely to be a faulty cell in the battery!

Ou, interesting, any way I could check this?

It seems that the R/R is shot as well. I've emailed Jack from Roadster Cycle and sent him a picture of the R/R connector which looks discoloured and the data (or lack thereof) from the multi and he says the R/R has seen it's last days. I'm going to be ordering one; as an update, he actually now offers the Super Kit with the Hyosung Stator connector, so that's great.

Cheers for replying, really appreciate it. Through lurking this forum I've learned a lot from you and a number of others!

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »

So a quick Google check leads me to believe that it may not be a faulty cell in the battery?

"Battery: Now it wasn't fully charged as I'd been tinkering prior, but on my uncle's multi with the bike off it read 12.6v, once started (on one occasion we measured starting and it quickly dipped to 10.something volts before heading back up immediately) it would read 13.6-13.8v. When revved to 5000 RPM the voltage would drop by 0.2v roughly. Eventually from idle/high revving, the idle voltage creeped up to 14v, but would still drop a little when at 5000 RPM and only show similar idle voltage when at ~10,000 RPM"

From what I've read this seems like normal battery function? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »

Yes, the voltage drop as revs increase is concerning and is likely to cause trouble eventually, but 13.8V is more than enough to keep a battery charged, if the battery is working.

I've little doubt that the reg is failing - all stock Hyo ones are - from day one.

Keep the battery in mind if the symptoms repeat a few months or so after the reg/rec swap.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:41:50 PM »

Yes, the voltage drop as revs increase is concerning and is likely to cause trouble eventually, but 13.8V is more than enough to keep a battery charged, if the battery is working.

I've little doubt that the reg is failing - all stock Hyo ones are - from day one.

Keep the battery in mind if the symptoms repeat a few months or so after the reg/rec swap.

Cheers! Now that you've mentioned it, today is almost 24 hours since I've had my charger on the 2A trickle setting on the bike and the charger doesn't show Charged/Maintaining as it usually does. So there might be something up with the battery after all? Last week it would charge up fine on the charger.

Will update on here as I receive/make changes. Still open to new and any insight!

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »

...., today is almost 24 hours since I've had my charger on the 2A trickle setting on the bike and the charger doesn't show Charged/Maintaining as it usually does. ....

2A is OK for the bulk charge but is way too much for trickle charging a motorcycle battery. At that rate you will cook the battery dead inside of a couple of days.
The proper charge rate for a "fully discharged" lead acid battery is bulk charge at one tenth the capacity for 12 hours (eg., a 14 AH battery would be charged at 1.4A for 12 hours).
As lead acid batteries self discharge at a rate up to 1% per day you use a standby/maintenance charge at a rate of no more than 2% of capacity, eg approx. 200 milliamps.
If you are using a smart charger then it must be one that has a motorcycle setting or it will be charging and maintaining at the rate required for car batteries which is way too high.

Some smart chargers now have a high voltage (approx. 20 volts) pulse charge which is timed for a maximum of 1 to 3 hours and is used to de-sulphate the plates of a battery that is not receiving regular use. If yours has this function try it and you may be able to resurrect your battery.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:50:28 AM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »

...., today is almost 24 hours since I've had my charger on the 2A trickle setting on the bike and the charger doesn't show Charged/Maintaining as it usually does. ....

2A is OK for the bulk charge but is way too much for trickle charging a motorcycle battery. At that rate you will cook the battery dead inside of a couple of days.
The proper charge rate for a "fully discharged" lead acid battery is bulk charge at one tenth the capacity for 12 hours (eg., a 14 AH battery would be charged at 1.4A for 12 hours).
As lead acid batteries self discharge at a rate up to 1% per day you use a standby/maintenance charge at a rate of no more than 2% of capacity, eg approx. 200 milliamps.
If you are using a smart charger then it must be one that has a motorcycle setting or it will be charging and maintaining at the rate required for car batteries which is way too high.

Some smart chargers now have a high voltage (approx. 20 volts) pulse charge which is timed for a maximum of 1 to 3 hours and is used to de-sulphate the plates of a battery that is not receiving regular use. If yours has this function try it and you may be able to resurrect your battery.

Cheers Hylife. The charger I have is a 6/4/2A trickle charger, before last week it would go green to Charged/Maintain mode but since then has not. Here's the charger: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-6-4-2a-0111517p.html#srp

In any case, more rigid testing with a borrowed multimeter shows that my stator is definitely fine (ohms and AC voltage check out) and my R/R might be as well. As per testing using the diode setting, I'm getting similar numbers, however under ohms which is what the EFI Service Manual states to check, I get nothing. The battery however, doesn't seem to fully charge or hold a charge. Maybe it's because of the charger.

In either case I have the Roadster Cycle R/R on the way, which while expensive I'm chalking up to saving me future costs and letdowns. I'm also going to pickup a replacement Yuasa battery and the Battery Tender Jr. which seems to be what most people use for their bikes. Will keep y'all posted, thanks so much for the help thus far.

PS: If I charge up beforehand and run the bike over 5000 RPM for the next few days until everything comes in/is installed, is there any risk using the bike?

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

How do you use the bike?  If you go on short hops under 5 miles my 2011 was unable to overcome the drain from the headlight and could not charge the battery fully as the system only pots out 100 Watts. Your charge system may be operating as designed. But you may not be riding it far enough to overcome the loss of charge from using the starter etc. Simply put it on the trickle charge when you get it home.  I found mine needed to run at least 8 miles at 4000 or greater rpm to recover
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »

With the upgraded reg/rec you can forget that your bike has a battery.

Pages: [1] 2