• October 19, 2017, 05:16:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2012 GV250 EFI Charging System Fix/Which Roadster Cycle kit is best?  (Read 1547 times)

DannyV

• Training Wheels
Re: 2012 GV250 EFI Charging System Fix/Which Roadster Cycle kit is best?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »

Well the season just started here in Canada, but I plan to use it to commute to my work/placement this month, which is about 30 km away or so. I understand that short trips can drain it, I think that's how the battery died last week when teaching my brother.

I was just asking if there's any cons to still running it until my new R/R and battery come. Today after spending a day off the charger, it managed to start with some throttle help this afternoon and I took it for a 50 km round trip jaunt. Made sure to stay well above 5000 RPM. About 6 or so hours later, again with a little throttle help and 2 tries it started again, rode around for a few km and went to see a friend. On the return with a little bit more throttle help, it started and ran.

Tomorrow I'll see how it starts after hours sitting. I basically want to see if I can use it on Monday for work at my university campus, as it'll likely be sitting 8-9 hours by the time I finish my shift. I should probably not chance it and wait till everything comes in, but man riding this bike is fun...

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 05:43:54 AM »

How do you use the bike?  If you go on short hops under 5 miles my 2011 was unable to overcome the drain from the headlight and could not charge the battery fully as the system only pots out 100 Watts...

I've read a lot of your posts and your angel light conversion. I'm looking to see/hoping that I can swap up my headlight bulb for an H4 LED headlight bulb. Not found anyone else on a GV250 that's done that however.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 01:17:07 AM »

So I took the bike out for a ride, around 40 km. Just as I was near home, the bike stalled somehow at a traffic light. I pulled over, turned on and off and luckily it started. Got home, turned off, opened garage to put it in and then when I turned the ignition on and hit the starter, everything turned off. Now I can't even turn the ignition on. Lucikly this happened in my driveway. I hooked up my battery charger and surprisingly it showed Charged! But with the ignition on nothing, no lights no dash, nothing.

Is it just the battery being dead? I'm really hoping it's that and nothing else. And why would the charger show that it's full?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 06:27:48 AM »

fuse?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:03 PM »

Sorry for the delay! I checked the fuses the other day, they were fine.

Received the new battery the other day, filled it up and charged it with the Battery Tender Jr. Just hooked it up and turned on the ignition; we're in business!

Still waiting on the R/R from Roadstercycle. USPS had a bit of a hiccup and it apparently went to the UK instead of Canada. Not going to try start the engine until everything is in and hooked up, just in case.

retryW

• Regular rider
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »

Not starting it till your R/R is replaced is a VERY good idea. I can't even describe how quickly the dodgy OEM ones burn out a brand new battery to the point where they are an acid filled paper weight.

DannyV

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »

Not starting it till your R/R is replaced is a VERY good idea. I can't even describe how quickly the dodgy OEM ones burn out a brand new battery to the point where they are an acid filled paper weight.

Cheers, I wasn't sure but I'm glad I waited.

R/R from Roadstercycle came the other day and I hooked everything up. It fits the stock mounting holes on the EFI GV250's, but the connectors have to face downwards for everything to fit. The unit and the wiring is so solid, it looks more robust than any of the other wires I've seen on the entire bike.

Anyhow, hooked up the stator connector (he made the Super Kit with Hyosung connectors for me) and then the R/R power leads to the battery and taped off the pre-existing R/R battery power connector that the old R/R was using. I wanted to throw on the Battery Tender Jr. quick disconnect rings to the battery as well, so having 3 rings on the battery took a bit of help and messing about with to get the battery terminal bolt to catch the nut.

Once it did, fired everything up and all good. I'm getting 14.2v from the battery, seems to stay the same/may slightly go up a little bit when I rev up. Took the bike for a ride yesterday and all good. Looks like I'm in the clear?

Pages: 1 [2]