• August 23, 2017, 08:59:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clutch Went Mental  (Read 366 times)

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
Clutch Went Mental
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

Ok, so I've been having some dragging issues, Most of the time the bike wouldn't go into neutral, though a few times it would, flawlessly I might add. So, I thought I needed new clutch plates, but later. However, on Friday I heard a loud clank sort of noise, right before a stop light, so I got off looking around and saw nothing (duh), thought maybe a stone hit the exhaust hard and made that noise, anyways after the light I went ahead and just about to pass the cars, crank the throttle and vrooom, revving like the wind, but not going like it, it only went forward when I throttle it very slightly, and what I assumed was the plates were rattling like crazy.

Now, since we all like lists:
1- I opened the clutch cover just now, but I can't take out the spring bolts, is it clockwise or counter?
2- I don't have a torque wrench, so how should I go on about the 8 nm re-tightening?
3- When I remove the springs, does the pressure plate just come out?
4- Would the clutch kit have the two washer things that are inside?
5- What else should I keep in mind? My bike has under 21k KM, would I need a new cable or can I just keep it?
6- EBC kevlar clutch plates, why? Why not?

If I seem like I know what I'm doing, it's cause I watched a couple of videos and had a quick search on the forum, in reality, I don't!
Climb the ladder of success!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Clutch Went Mental
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »

Now, since we all like lists:
1- I opened the clutch cover just now, but I can't take out the spring bolts, is it clockwise or counter?
2- I don't have a torque wrench, so how should I go on about the 8 nm re-tightening?
3- When I remove the springs, does the pressure plate just come out?
4- Would the clutch kit have the two washer things that are inside?
5- What else should I keep in mind? My bike has under 21k KM, would I need a new cable or can I just keep it?
6- EBC kevlar clutch plates, why? Why not?

1. Normal. Counter-clockwise to loosen.
2. Finger tight + 1/4 turn. Roughly. ..then get scared and tighten it a bit more.
3. Yes. Removing the pressure plate is simple. It might want some wiggling though.
4. No. The kit will only have the steel plates and the friction plates. Keep the 'spring' and 'washer'. Although they are the strangest spring and washer you will ever see.
5. You do not need to remove the whole clutch cover. Just the round part. Make a pair of hooks from an old clothes hanger to get the plates out. When putting the plates back in, the odd looking one goes in first. Consider a new clutch thrust bearing while you have the cover open. Cheap insurance.
6. They look IDENTICAL to stock. I am not convinced that there is any difference. Maybe stock ones are kevlar? The springs in the EBC kit are however salightly stiffer.

Notes:

1. Definitely a new clutch cable if you use the EBC kit because of the stiffer springs.
2. *Slightly Complex* If you have an adjustment screw in the centre of your clutch, replace the screw with a longish M6 (M6 x 25mm?)bolt and a locking nut(so it doesn't strip when you adjust it). Then adjust your cable to be as short as possible, and zip tie the clutch to be fully applied. Adjust the bolt until you can turn the clutch with your fingers, then bring it back two full turns and lock it in place with the locking nut. Finish by adjusting your cable again. This will give you the longest life possible out of your clutch cable and the best chance for the clutch not to drag.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:18:32 PM by umop-ǝpisdn »
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »

Well, I got them all out, the last two steel plates were quite blue, so I guess it would be the cause of the slipping, but I'm worried as I don't see anything that would have been the cause of the loud clank I heard right before the slipping and rattling.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:42 PM »

Hmmm.

Drop your oil, remove the cover from the sump, remove the mesh screen. Any debris?

If yes. Worry.

If no. Re-assembly and ignore.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »

Welp, time to rattle some change, the oil is full of debris as the mechanic told me, he said it's either the gears or a bearing so he'll be opening the engine tomorrow.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

That's a pity man. Sorry to hear it.

Pics!!

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:53:53 AM »

He called me again and said it's a bearing, forgot which one, but he said some teeth on the gears are scratched, he asked me to come over and see the damage and decide for myself if I want new gears or just put in a new bearing and take the bike, new gears would take a month and a half. Hmm, I'd like to have everything perfect since the engine is already open, and on the other hand I'd like to save money + get the bike back quickly. A conundrum...

I'll take a few pics when I get there.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »

I strongly recommend a good quality output shaft bearing. The OEM one is not reliable. In fact, I would suggest that it's probably that bearing that has failed.

Pages: [1]