• December 17, 2018, 02:24:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clutch Went Mental  (Read 931 times)

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Clutch Went Mental
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »

This was before summer so the bike is all good now, I replaced the transmission and bearings already, the mechanic said I could use the old one but he can't guarantee how long it would last, could be a couple of months, could be a couple of years, but I should take it easy, which I don't hehe so I just replaced it. The debris are probably the exploded bearing, the gear damage is just mildly deep scratches and just second gear.

The other day after I replaced my chain and sprockets the mechanic mentioned this old problem and said a tight chain could cause this because it would put constant pressure on the shaft which would obviously put pressure on the bearing.

I'll sure keep an eye on the GT for this, obviously!
Climb the ladder of success!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »

Agree there , my new chain is pretty loose and almost touches the swing arm which means about 25 to 30mm play which is fine . I could have made it tighter but there you go . Best be a tad loose that too tight . Bearings are expensive to replace .
I am sure your gears would have bedded in and would have been fine , I would have just went with it .
If it was first gear , different story  ;).
Bearings were either shit quality or starved of oil . Quality bearings can normally take heaps of punishment . Saying that , there did not seem to be any blueing of them so heat was not apparent . Who knows eh but where I work , if we get transmission bearing failure (on very big things) , there is normally a stewards inquiry  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:03:51 PM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »

Yep, replaced with quality bearings, I also prefer keeping my chain on the loose side, though when replacing the chain it was on the tight side, but I left it as is so it can stretch and I wouldn't need to re adjust, now it's just fine. Yes, you'd assume I've learned my lesson, but I figured one time won't blow things up again  ;D

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »

Hope you changed your sprockets at the same time  ;)
I would prefer to start the chain off loose then tighten it up if need be rather than the other way around  ;D
When I just changed my chain , the old one had maybe 60 mm in  it  :o and still ran fine .
If you check my posts , I put a pic up of the rear wheel right at the end of the swing arm .
No more adjustment lol .
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:10:25 PM by spit051261 »

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »

Yup, both sprockets changed. Make sure you don't leave it loose enough to slip  :D

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »

Yup, both sprockets changed. Make sure you don't leave it loose enough to slip  :D
It didn't slip at 60mm so should be fine at 30mm  ;D
Just make sure yours not too tight and knacker the main bearing in the trans  ;)

Death666wish_

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »

Nah it's fine now, won't have it tight again, it wasn't completely tightened when the new chain was on otherwise I wouldn't have left it.

Pages: 1 [2]