• December 18, 2017, 11:22:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GT650 S/R Lugging/Power Failure  (Read 3294 times)

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: GT650 S/R Lugging/Power Failure
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:49:19 AM »

Make sure they are the single output type. ie not the twin spark ones.

Early SV650. I forget what year model, but anything pre twin-spark.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

TheEhTeam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »

Hey there, so an update and a query.
My "new" used SV650 coils showed up today so I installed them after work. The boots that came with them were not corroded and looked in way better condition than my Hyo ones. So I took her out for a test ride through some back roads, down the highway and then back home. I want to say I felt a for sure power increase as well as the idle was very steady. However once again riding home on the short bit of back roads the problem arouse and started kicking around again unless I throttled well above 7k any gear. So perhaps are my "new" used ignition coils also faulty or can there be any other possible explanation?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 07:16:19 AM »

The symptom is a perfect match for a bad coil, but I really don't know what to say, two sets of bad coils?? Seems unlikely.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

TheEhTeam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »

I'm not sure how some parts may affect performance but could it be rectifier related? Or perhaps a bad vacuum somewhere along the lines? As stated I can temporarily get past the lurching by revving then engine up which could be increasing voltage to spark plugs or parts and helping or adding fuel and the carbs are running lean?? Is there anything that would cause carbs to run lean while hot only. Could a bad charge appear when engine/parts are hot and resistance is increased causing misfires?

One more possible idea that could be overlooked I guess. I'm using CR8E spark plugs. Should I perhaps switch to CR7E?
Although both spark plugs currently installed are very very new and they look mint and seem to be in a healthy condition showing neither rich or lean; however one of the two happens to have a very slight amount of white dust on the outside tip of the ground electrode. I read that this can mean it's too hot?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:25:33 AM by TheEhTeam »

TheEhTeam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:58:17 AM »

So I've gone and booked an appt. to get my bike checked at the only shop on the whole island that will service a Hyo. Unfortunately they are running out of business and no longer have any staff other than the head mechanic. My appt. is booked literally 26 days from now.

I've done some thinking in the mean time and I'm going to try getting into the air/fuel mixture screws. There's a strong possibility my bike is running lean as it shows all the symptoms. Even if adjusting the screws do not fix the problem in its entirety I feel as though it will help with other symptoms tremendously. Not all is lost if I screw up anyways as I can always adjust back to factory if documented properly on adjustment. I will do this over the next couple days whenever I have some spare time on my hands.

I will be sure to update on how it goes in case one day another Hyo rider experiences such an issue. If all else fails hopefully the mechanic can find the issue with enough time and money and I can update that as well.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »

Sometimes gum and gunk builds up on the tips of the needles and their seats.

Mark a dab of white marker paint (typists liquid paper) onto the mixture screw heads before you make any adjustments and count off and write down "exactly" how many full turns you need to adjust clockwise to get the screws to be completely 'in' until the stop and can go no further.
This way you can put it back to exactly to where they are now, before you fiddled.
Now screw anticlockwise outwards from fully in position to return them to the current pre-adjustment settings.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

TheEhTeam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 05:07:45 AM »

UPDATE:
 I pulled the carbs out because I couldn't find/see where the welch plugs were located while attached. Turns out there were no welch plugs because someone has already gone and removed them. I'm not sure how I overlooked this when I first cleaned my carbs. Possible because it was the first time I've ever touched a carb in my life let alone remove them and clean them. So this time I turned the idle screw inwards and counted the turns, the front carb was 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns in and the rear carb was 2 turns. So already they were out of adjustment from each other which is probably why it was so hard to try and carb sync them before. I couldn't find the factory setting for the screws anywhere as I've seem to lost the ability to track down a service manual as I have in the past. I have a workshop manual as useful as it is it seems to lack what I had before. I decided to do 2 turns out for both after a quick cleaning as the front is the cylinder that appears lean. Threw it back together (gently) and took it out for a ride. The idle seems to hold itself alot more stable than before with as little as what I could only imagine is less than 20RPM fluctuation if that (apposed to almost 100 before). I have not done a carb sync since the adjustment though as I'm not sure that 2 turns is where they should be at. Most seem to 1-3/4 turns out everywhere else I have read. As for the test ride I went for alot longer than the test before hand and the problem did start to arise once again almost home. I ran in 2nd gear at approx. 60km/h (more likely 53km/h as my speedo is 7km off) at around 5,000RPM which is usually when the surging happens. I tried pretty hard doing that at steady throttle for a while and eventually it did show up. However a lot more subtle. At one point after further pushing for the problem throttle response was lost for a small period which then kicked in after increasing it too far. Made it home though without it shutting off or surging too terribly. There was quite a bit more decel pop than before and louder which does that not mean it's lean? As well as  a small amount of idle popping.

Since the idle screw is very easy to rotate do you think that through the vibrations over time the previous adjustments from the previous owner could have un-adjusted itself? Or does the spring provide enough tension to prevent that?

Also could anyone shed some light on where they like to have their idle screw adjusted to or what factory recommends.

What does one plug the holes with to prevent the screw form un-adjusting?

Has anyone also adjusted it while the bike is running? I would like to do that to achieve the highest stable RPM and back set a 1/4 turn. It almost seems impossible to get anything in there to adjust with carbs attached let alone see it properly to document the turns. Even needle nose pliers with a small flat head bit would appear impossible to get the angle right.

Any help or previous experiences or suggestions and all that is fathom ably appreciated. Or any comments of "you stupid idiot stop ruining you're bike" helps too.
I just want to ride! I miss the rumbling roar of sexy horsepower gliding me across the open road!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:11:38 AM by TheEhTeam »

retryW

• Regular rider
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »

I can't really help with much of that because I am the furthest thing from mechanically sound...  BUT

I do know that you are MEANT to change the idle screws while the bike is at running temperature.
The Service Manual (or Owners Manual, I forget which one) says to wait until the bike has warmed up to normal running temperature before adjusting the screws.
My guess is so that it is already idling at the peak idle before you start modifying it.

TheEhTeam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:55 AM »

I do realize that is the proper procedure. I have yet to find any possible way to adjust the mixture screws with the bike fully intact and running. If any one person in the world can provide any information on how they got their tiny little hands and tiny little wrench set into the adjuster screws and were able to adjust them and turn the wrench or flat head attachment with the dammed thermostat in the way and never the less not burning your hands then please provide me with some guidance! Sweet masterful guidance. I'm more than willing at this point to take down your ZIP code and get on my knees and provide oral release.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 03:07:17 AM »

Korean hands?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4