• December 18, 2017, 11:44:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Throttle Position Sensor  (Read 712 times)

Plantpot

• Learner rider
Throttle Position Sensor
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »

Bought a new TPS and know it couldn't possibly be one bolt and your done, I'm sure it has to be set properly and a multimeter is involved.
Can anybody walk me through how you set up the tps on a 2010 Efi, or point me to where this info is, many thanks in advance.

Cmon guys I even bought the manual and even that doesnt tell you how t set the frigging thing up, someone must have replaced a tps. :o
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:52:02 AM by Plantpot »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Throttle Position Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »

I have done it on a 650 only, but I assume that they're similar.

Hot tip: Bike should be hot when you measure the TPS voltage. If your bike does not start and idle at this point, then you might need to take two bites and set it up cold just to get it running and have another go with a warm bike if perhaps the result was not what you were expecting.

Suggestion: Add T-Taps to the wires you are measuring resistance between, then make a pair of short wires to attach to the T-Taps with blades connectors at each end. The male blade connector goes into the t-tap and  the female blade connector makes it very easy to get a reliable connection on your multimeter probes. Make the wires long enough so that you can get the meter and the probes well out of the way so you don't keep bumping stuff.

Work with a fully charged battery.

Remove all fairings.

Unbolt the bolt that holts the fuel tank in place.

Carefully lift the back of the tank and make sure you are not putting tension on the fuel pump hose. Jam a plastic bottle under the tab that secures the fuel tank so that it lifts the tank away from the frame, giving you enough room for hands.

Do all of the prep work with the wires and t-taps etc and attach the probes to the wires, then start and warm up the bike.

Remove and replace the TPS. Replace the bolt also with an allen headed screw instead of a philips head screw/hex nut, as there is no hope in hell you are going to be able to fit a socket over that nut and not foul the plastic cover over the TPS and knock your adjustments to hell. Similarly if it is a philips head screw, then you can't torque it well enough without stripping it. Allen headed bolt for the win. M5 I think. Might be M6. Circa 20mm long.

Plug your wire extensions into the t-taps and turn the ignition on, but do not start the bike.

As you tighten the new TPS into place, the more yoiu tighten, the more the TPS voltage will drop, as the torque on the bolt will slightly move the TPS. Adjust your TPS so that it is about .15V high and then as you tighten it, watch it creep downward.

If the tension is sufficient as the voltage reaches the desired number, then job's done. If not, loosen and increase/reduce the amount by wich you offset the initial voltage setting.

Caution: You are on a clock. That headlight is draining your freshly charged battery. 
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Plantpot

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »

Thanks for all of that. I really appreciate it.
You say adjust your tps so that it is .15v is high, high from what, what should voltage be when it is considered "set" ?

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »

I have the PDF manual that has all these settings. Obviously you have an older one.
Download this one and look at section 4-1-25 on page 40.
http://banici.pl/bam/Tom/GT250/Instrukcje/GT250FI_Service_Manual_US.pdf
The section relating to error C14 has the TPS settings.

The sensor should produce following voltage.
0.1 V =< sensor voltage =< 4.8 V
Without the above range for 2 sec. and more, error C14 is indicated.

Throttle valve is closed Approx. 0.3 V
Throttle valve is opened Approx. 4.5 V

There are other manuals here http://banici.pl/bam/Tom/GT250/Instrukcje/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:34:15 PM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »

As I do not have a GV250, I am unfamiliar with the fiddly details.

Like Hylife said, get the manual and have a read. From what he said above, it looks like the voltage you're after is 0.3V, ergo make it 0.45V and it will creep down.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Plantpot

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »

Thanks guys for helping.

Pages: [1]