• December 18, 2017, 03:38:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Big happy hello  (Read 1758 times)

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Big happy hello
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »

Welcome Yeti,

Sounds like you've got/had quite the collection!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

linuxyeti

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »

Hi

I've had a fair few bikes over the years, currently settled on 4, the ST7, CF650TR, also a Mash 400 (Shineray XY400) and a Honley Venturer (Zhongshen RX-3). The only 1 I have any problems with is the RX-3, electrics are a bit iffy, so, may sell that in the new year. Once the range has increased, considering an Electric bike to replace the CF650TR once the time is right. I just need to have a bike, that has a range of at least 130 miles at motorway speeds, with luggage(enough to fit my laptop), even in the cold. At the moment an improved Zero SR is looking most likely for that.

Bikerjohn90

• Newbie to Hyosung and loving every second of it
  • Learner rider
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »

Well yeti that is true and from my house it's a beautiful ride. Spent many a time at the ponderosa cafe and as soon as I sort my little electrical fault out on my Hyo I'll be back up and ready for more fun times at many bike meets a cross the uk. I'm thinking of a Welsh coast run from top to bottom. I'd like to do it over 3 days so I can visit some local places of interest/sight seeing. Toying with the idea of doing it for charity but not sure what charity. I'll be posting details on here in the future for anyone to join me if anyone's interested.
Bike + petrol x twisty roads = 😃😃😃😃
Basic maths

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »

Yeti,

I'm hanging for a decent electric bike at a realistic price!

Saw an article touting the virtues of a new battery chemistry dubbed sodium glass. Ordinarily I wouldn't pay it much heed, since there's an article sprouting nonsense about the latest and greatest advancement every month or so, but this article had an important name on it. John Goodenough. The inventor of the lithium ion battery chemistry.

Sodium is dirt cheap. Sea salt basically. Glass is literally dirt, but importantly can be infused with basically anything and shaped into almost anything. It's the anode. It can be made ridiculously thin and even woven.

Storage gains are modest, but the recharge rate makes it interesting. Impressive stability in adverse situations as well. A proper step forward in battery tech that can be used in a high load, high risk environment, such as bikes and cars.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »

Ah, electric bikes, the clean alternative......or is it? 

How is all the extra electricity going to be produced, and how do they make and dispose of the batteries??  It's a messy, polluting business, long live petrol!! ::)

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »

Ah, electric bikes, the clean alternative......or is it? 

How is all the extra electricity going to be produced, and how do they make and dispose of the batteries??  It's a messy, polluting business, long live petrol!! ::)

I'll always be a petrol head, even if it does have a slight whiff of two stroke.

linuxyeti

• Training Wheels
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »

The sodium/glass battery technology does look interesting. For those still wanting petrol, if you're still around, in 2040 in the UK & France the sale of new petrol & diesle vehicles will be banned. I suspect in plenty of time before then, electric, or even possibly some other alternative fuel powered vehicles will be the norm anyhow.

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »

For those still wanting petrol, if you're still around, in 2040 in the UK & France the sale of new petrol & diesle vehicles will be banned.

Of course it will happen well before with companies rushing to be the very first all electric manufacturer. That being said, parts will still be available for existing petrol engines. I do worry about the electricity grids. Power outages have been on the increase for years, that surely will get worse with people demanding more and more electricity, especially with a car added to it.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

I'm not worried about the 'green' aspect. I'm a studied engineer; I know that presently, the energy used to power these 'green' cars came from burning coal. I also know a thing or two about transmission and generator losses. To me it seems obvious and untenable. Clearly your roof space is going to matter more and more over time and a distributed energy grid is going to be a more realistic thing. It's already happening in Australia where a solid 10% of houses power themselves during the daylight hours.

The reason that I am excited by electric is that it is just simply faster!

I offer Pikes Peak as an example. In only a few years, already the best overall time for bikes is held by an electric. Cars will follow suit soon.

For those that care; I am part of a university team that competes in the World Solar Care Challenge. In three weeks our new car will be competing in the Darwin to Adelaide race. It's an all new car and it's a peach!

linuxyeti

• Training Wheels
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »

Hi

Yeah, we too have solar panels, and also a gas flow minimiser, which does save us money, even here in the UK. Also have a shed in the garden, completely off grid, with solar powered main lights etc, and solar powered usb chargers, for things usch as phones, mp3 players and bluetooth speakers. Once electric storage takes the next step, in the next few years, I'd hazard a guess, we'll be less reliant on fossil fuels. Actually on at least 1 day this year, all of the UK's electricity was generated without any coal burning fire stations supplying the grid.

Pages: 1 2 [3]