• October 18, 2017, 03:00:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is proper way to start GV250  (Read 1458 times)

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
Re: What is proper way to start GV250
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »

Sorry Dojy-biker but maybe you had better go back and read that circuit diagram properly.

It is an ECE design requirement on ALL bikes that there is a kill switch and a side stand switch and they are required to ground the coils.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »

Well when I did my learners course.. twice! (Never progressed onto provisional before my Ls expired).. both times they tought us that the way to stop a bike is killswitch then key (unless the owners manual explicitly states otherwise).

I can understand wear on the switch as a reason for not using it though.

Every state has their own procedures, but in Victoria (Oz), the trainers must follow the VicRoads curriculum. In Vic there is a requirement for them to teach (and test you) on how to 'correctly' identify all the bike controls, describe their functions and to instruct and test you in their proper use. This includes how to start and stop your bike by using the key switch only. Usually, the final part of the riding test is pulling up next to the instructor turning off the engine, placing the bike onto a side stand and dismounting (or centre stand after dismounting). Everyone starts with 100 points, and during the test, infractions result in points being deducted. Loosing too many points results in a fail.
The training curriculum views abusing the kill switch as a major safety issue, similar to stopping a car engine by deliberately stalling it whilst in gear.
Using the kill switch has a mandated high penalty of points to be subtracted. For a struggling new rider it can mean the difference between a pass and a fail.

I know for a fact that the two biggest training companies (HART and Stay Upright) also make a very big deal of NOT using the kill switch because their training bikes are stopped and started up to 50 times every day.
Add to that, tip-over-switches, forgotten side stands, and abuse of the kill switch, means they constantly have to replace dead and dodgy coils and that increases their running costs.

Besides, why introduce another step into the process, why not just use the key, rather than the kill switch and the key.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:22:03 PM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Christmas

• Regular rider
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

Hmm, that is interesting. Maybe it is different in NSW? One of my courses was done through stay upright and the other ride it right and both times we were told never to use the side stand to kill the bike but to always use the killswitch then key so as to never take your hands off the bars as long as the bike is running.

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 12:26:28 AM »

Sorry Dojy-biker but maybe you had better go back and read that circuit diagram properly.

excuse me...You sir are a fool!
i do this for a living. it is my profession.
Now before you go all keyboard warrior , go do some research, learn to read circuit diagrams and educate yourself.

here u go, ive made it easy for you to follow with pretty colours.  ive even used the aquila wiring diagram.

• start at the battery
  • go through the main fuse
  • through the ignition switch
  • through the sidestand relay (controlled via the sidestand switch)
  • into the engine stop switch
  • and out into the shared positive voltage rail for both coils (and other things like fuel pump etc. )

the engine stop switch makes contact to allow power to pass through. if you use the switch it will cut the power feed and engine will lose spark and stop, and obviously the sidestand relay can also perform this function as it is part of the same circuit. At no point are the coils "shorted to ground". The other coil wires go directly to the ECU without interruption or deviation.

to everyone else, I'm sorry, i dont suffer fools that call me out. My hope is that this helps & educates anyone that needs it.
(be sure to click the image, zoom in and have a good look)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:14:44 AM by Dojy_biker »
***Solution looking for a problem***

Christmas

• Regular rider
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »

Interesting,  bit harsh on Hylife, I'm sure he is only relaying information he knew to be true!

Thanks for the diagram through, very clear.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 01:41:56 AM »

This escalated. ..and that's unfortunate.

Back to the topic at hand. How do you start a bike?

IMO, the sequence you use is less important that being in the ready position.

For me, it's key on, front brake applied, side stand up, into neutral, left foot down, rear brake applied, clutch in, thumb the kill switch, then thumb start button.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »

This escalated. ..and that's unfortunate.

Back to the topic at hand. How do you start a bike?

IMO, the sequence you use is less important that being in the ready position.

For me, it's key on, front brake applied, side stand up, into neutral, left foot down, rear brake applied, clutch in, thumb the kill switch, then thumb start button.

I have had a few moments in the past when, all geared up and ready to go, the bike wouldn't start and the gloves had to come back off to find out what was going on........

To this day, I start the bike THEN put my gloves on......just in case!!!  :o :o

mrcrum

• Learner rider
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »

It's good to know that AJC650 is of good character.  Someone who would think to steal a bike would always have his gloves on.

mrcrum

• Learner rider
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »

My son has a carbureted GV250 but I also have the schematic for an EFI GV250 and they are both different than the one shown above that appears to be for a GV650.  That one may well be safe to stop the bike with the kill switch but since the ECU is in total control of it and I don't know what it does exactly behind the scenes, I can't tell.  It's certainly possible that it could since it is monitoring both sides of the coils as well as the stop switch, kick stand switch, clutch and gear position switch.  The carbureted GV250 though, would be safer to use the key switch since, as well as providing 12v to power the coils, it also shorts the pickup coil, as well as it's input to the CDI, to ground when it is turned off, thus preventing any errant signals to the CDI that could trigger a spark.  A spark is created by a change in state in the primary coil of an ignition coil (or more accurately an ignition transformer).  On the carbureted version, the coils are grounded so by removing the 12v provided by the kill switch you are changing the state of the primary which will create an errant spark unless the input to the CDI is also grounded as with the ignition switch.  On the EFI version of the GV250, the ECU provides the grounding of the coils but the removal of the 12 volts would still likely create a change in state.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:50:27 AM by mrcrum »

Dojy_biker

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »

is this the carburated gv250 diagram? (google suggests it is)
***Solution looking for a problem***

Pages: 1 [2] 3