• November 22, 2017, 12:04:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Intermittent FI light and reduced power  (Read 1886 times)

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
Intermittent FI light and reduced power
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

Good day all, I recently did the R/R + charging system upgrade with amazing results but I still have an intermittent issue with my 2012 GT650i... The bike will start just fine and runs very strong but every now and again the FI light will illuminate and my bikes power will be reduced to what feels like a 125cc scooter. The first time it happened it felt like I was lugging the bike in way too high of a gear. It almost feels (and sounds) as if the bike is only running on one cylinder. Most of the time it clears up on its own. Last time I was able to pull the code I got a c32 and c33 which I believe is an issue in the injector/ ignition circuit. I was supposed to take the bike on a weekend tour this weekend but I'm thinking I will end up doing it by car instead. Where should I start here?

Also, special shout out to the esteemed member "upside-down" for his help getting my R/R squared away. Fantastic results and a wonderful improvement!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:10:53 PM by Robbygt650 »
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like its got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Intermittent FI light and reduced power
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »

No worried Robby, glad it worked out for you.

That it's both the front AND rear injectors is suspicious. I doubt they would both fail. My suggestion is that it's a spotty connection. Find the largish, rectangular plug under the tank that goes to the TPS, injectors, IAT/IAP, etc and unplug it. Have a good poke around for loose pins and then plug it back in again.

If this works, then there's something wrong with that connector, or one of the other ones further upstream. Unplugging and then plugging back in it not a valid solution to v-twin electricals, as it will just shake loose again.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »

I wonder if this was what was mucking things up for me? Hmmm

http://i.imgur.com/RfSf05h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uO6GO7a.jpg

The K&N Air Filter was completely clogged up by a squirrels home furnishings and unfinished dinner. Little bastard!
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like its got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

Nah! You could fit at least another two or three in there before it became an issue ;)

Honestly though, I am surprised it could even start!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »

Not to break tradition with this machine, just when I thought I'd finally got her running well, I was reminded just how wrong I truly was.

After removing the wild squirrel nest from my airbox yesterday morning, I took the bike on a short ride and it ran very well. No hiccups, felt strong, no FI light. I took this as a decisive victory! Flash forward to this morning as I get ready for work. I put on my helmet and gloves, climb aboard and start the engine. Bike runs fine on the secondary roads as I approach the interstate. I get to the stoplight right before the highway when all of a sudden the idle starts getting mucky and the red FI light comes on and I'm once again running on one cylinder!! ARGH!!

The hunt continues for the cylinder dropping issue! I'm wondering if having my Electronic Jet Kit set too rich across the rev range may  be causing this terrible run condition? If not that then I am suspecting a bad coil. The funny thing is, once I got off the highway, the 2nd cylinder picked back up like nothing happened. Not ONCE was I running on 2 cylinders while on the highway... thoughts? Comments? Prayers?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:56:11 AM by Robbygt650 »

Christmas

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »

Don't use the highway? Problem solved! ;D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

Piss the EJK off. It's not useful anyway.

If you're not putting the O2 sensor into loopback mode, then the EJK is doing exactly nothing. The O2 sensor will report back a rich condition and fuel will trim.

If you want to use a piggyback ECU successfully, then you're going to need to trick your O2 sensors into reporting back an ideal condition.

Dynojet sell things called O2 Optimisers that perform this task and i have written a thread somewhere about how to wire them. Dynojet have no off the shelf product that will work properly with a 2012 and Bazzaz don't either. What ever you get needs to be re-wired.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:23:41 AM »

Seriously, just revert back to stock. If you want to mess with AFR, either get a real ECU (eg Microsquirt), or contact forum member OLEG about getting an alternate map flashed.

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »

I could remove the EJK but wouldn't that leave me with a lean running condition by way of my current mods? I have a JRE Exhaust can and a K&N filter... I always heard doing those 2 bolt ons without modifying fuel intake can lead to trouble

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »

Still. Better than what's happening currently. Maybe look into getting a map re-flash from OLEG.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4