• November 21, 2017, 11:58:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Intermittent FI light and reduced power  (Read 1884 times)

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
Re: Intermittent FI light and reduced power
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »

At this point it's worth a shot. I will remove the EJK and also poke around for burned up connections/ weak links in my electrical system this weekend. I'll report my findings for those following along at home
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like its got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:52:36 AM »

So, it took a bit longer than expected to get back to my Hyo project, but alas I was able to remove the Electronic Jet Kit tonight and get the back back together. Now, I noticed something funny when I was reassembling the airbox, I noticed there were 2 ports blocked off on the left side of the bike (clutch side) when if memory serves me correctly only one should be plugged. I unplugged the forward most port and reconnected the hose. I took the bike out for a very short test ride and although it isnt throwing a code it doesnt seem to be running very well. It seemed to be backfiring and "popping" quite a bit more than I remember and it also seemed to lack power...

I didnt take it on a long enough ride to see if the original issue was resolved but I thought I could report back to the forum and see where I oughta look next. Many thanks as always
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like its got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:34:12 AM »

The hose in question is for the "AIS" (Air Injection System).

On a bike with a stock exhaust, the AIS function is to burn excess fuel as it passes the catalytic convertor. It injects cold, clean air into the exhaust port, on the head and any excess fuel will start to mix with the clean air. As it passes through the cat, it will react and burn in the exhaust, reducing hydrocarbon emissions. As you roll off the throttle, there is always an excess of fuel in the exhaust. That excess fuel gets to the cat and fizzles gently.

On a bike where the standard exhaust has been replaced, there is NO catalytic convertor. In this case, if clean air is introduced, the reaction is not a slow fizz as it passes through the cat, but a large pop inside the end canister.

It's not harmful, it just makes you look like a tool when you are rolling down a hill toward a traffic light and it sounds like you crashed through a stack of paint tins. You will feel the need to apologize to people for your bike licking its v-twin balls in public.

If you like the sound, revel in it. If you don't, re-block the hose.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

Ok, so since I have an aftermarket can, I will once again plug up that line and then take the bike on a longer test ride where hopefully I can get a better feel for whats going on. It DID feel like it was running poorly when I took it out last night but we shall see

kiwi_steve

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 06:19:50 AM »

Piss the EJK off. It's not useful anyway.

If you're not putting the O2 sensor into loopback mode, then the EJK is doing exactly nothing. The O2 sensor will report back a rich condition and fuel will trim.

If you want to use a piggyback ECU successfully, then you're going to need to trick your O2 sensors into reporting back an ideal condition.

Dynojet sell things called O2 Optimisers that perform this task and i have written a thread somewhere about how to wire them. Dynojet have no off the shelf product that will work properly with a 2012 and Bazzaz don't either. What ever you get needs to be re-wired.

Im sorry, but im really tired of seeing your posts regarding EJK and reporting misinformation to those that have one.
I have an EJK and it DOES work.
your information regarding the o2 sensor and how it works is incorrect.
The o2 sensor is a narrow band sensor, meaning it only works in a very small RPM range. Idle/cruise.
They designed the EJK to avoid interfering with this. I have personally spoken to the tech team in the U.S before i purchased this product as i was skeptical about how it operates.
After having used this said product for around 2 weeks, It definitely works.
Its has enriched the AFR up so it is now running as an engine should with stage 1 mods. My bike does NOT run lean anymore, and i would advise people that want a plug and play solution with out having to muck around with costly ecu modding to look at this option.
Its easy, simple to use and it works.
Ive had no hick-ups, No FI lights triggered and the product works as it should.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »

Then by all means, enjoy the satisfaction of your purchase.

Your experiences are not mine though and if there is some voodoo that it can do that I do not understand, then please, explain it to me.

Incidentally. Narrowband simply means the sensor operates between 0 and 1 V. Wideband, 0 to 5 V. That means that wideband can be more precise. It doesn't describe the range of RPM that signal is sought from the sensor. But yes, idle and the lower range tend to be the extent of what a narrowband sensor can realistically manage. Higher RPM and throttle positions tend to be tuned in open loop. i.e. no singal is sought from the O2 sensor. Well, this is where it must be making gains, right? Um. No. The tune at the top end is already pretty damn good and already a bit fat.

So, at lower throttle positions and lower in the rpm range, input from the O2 sensor results in a compensation. i.e. in the realistic range for most common riding, if your O2 sensor is still in play, then; and this is not conjecture, this is fact, unarguable, a piggyback ECU, regardless of brand, is doing SFA.

At higher RPMs and higher throttle positions, the ECU is in open loop and a piggyback ECU can indeed make alterations to a tune that is already almost ideal.

Now, please explain something to me, as it's a pet peeve. What is this arbitrary 'stage' of mods structure? What precisely are 'stage 1 mods' to a bike that has little or no performance aftermarket beyond three reputable brands of filter and some hollowed out exhausts?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:40:19 AM by umop-ǝpisdn »
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »

All that aside, as per the suggestion of upside, I have removed the EJK for now to try and isolate my issue. The funny thing is this... I took the bike out yesterday and it was running poorly so I thought perhaps it was bad gas. Drove to the gas station, filled up, tried to restart and NOPE, circuits dead. It gave a half hearted crank and then nothing, just a bunch of clicking from the relays in the rear. Seems to be that the battery has kicked the bucket which I find EXTREMELY odd since I just did major work on the grounding and charging systems not too long ago (and verified all my work with a VOM)... I'm going to take the battery to a service shop after work and see if that has been my issue all along. I'm certainly hoping it is bad because I am very much out of options

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »

THIS SAGA CONTINUES WITH A NEW TWIST! After getting stranded with the bike earlier this week I decided to have the battery checked. It turns out that the "battery health" was low and it was due for replacing, ok, fine. Knowing my Hyosungs history I wasnt too optimistic that that would be all she wrote. I hate it when I'm right... I filled the battery, charged it, installed it and wouldnt you know it, now its got a fun new issue. It is stalling out, backfiring quite loudly, and sometimes chooses not too start. I was able to pull a code when she stalled out and I got E41 which means something in the fuel pump circuit. Once again, oh masters of the hyo, please point me in the right direction! I'd like to add my bike is a 2012 with 8000 miles on it... and I will sell it to the first person with $1500, haha

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »

WTH.

OK, so fuel pump circuit.

Is it a dodgy fuel pump, or a red herring? Any signs/smells of leaking fuel?

What's the idle voltage now with the reg/rec upgrade?

Did you add an extra earth strap?

Robbygt650

• Learner rider
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »

Additionally, when I removed the EJK last week I broke the inlet on the fuel pump (for the second time) and had to replace it with a used Fuel pump, I'm wondering if this could be the source of my issues? Is troubleshooting the fuel pump circuit as easy as following power through the components?

After my reg/rec upgrade I had above par voltage all across the rev range so I don't think the problem is there. Yes, I did add the extra earth strap

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4