• December 18, 2017, 03:35:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: gv650 aquilegia charging  (Read 511 times)

pau2756

• Training Wheels
gv650 aquilegia charging
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »

Hi all
I'm new to forum and Hyosung.

Just got a 2007 Hyosung gv650 Aquila after being off bikes for a decade.

What can I say other than its fab and great value.

I do have an issue that I hope someone can advise on.

I don't think it's charging as over a few days the battery gets flatter.

The battery after a charge is 12.8v. When running it remains the same.
The resistance on the stator is 1. 7 ohms a cross all 3 yellow wires at the multiplug beside the rectifier.
There is no leak on any of the 3 wires to earth.
When I check for an output from the stator all 3 yellow wires output zero volts ac.
Zero sounds strange but explains issue.
Is the multiplug were it joins the rectifier the correct place to test?
Does anyone know how to test the rectifier?
What is the best price to expect to pay for a stator?

Thanks for reading g and hope someone can help?

Paul

Faults'n'all still love the bike.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: gv650 aquilegia charging
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Hello pau2756,

It does sound like the stator is an issue.

http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/hyosung/gv650-aquila/stator-hyosung-gt650-st7-06-on.html

In addition to this, I would suggest a gasket as well for the stator cover.

http://www.whygostock.com/crankcase-stator-magneto-flywheel-cover-gasket-for-gv650-gt650-gt650r-gt650s-and-st7-gv700/

...and some Permatex ultra grey silicone gasket cement.

If you want to fix all your problems in one, then I wold strongly recommend replacing the reg/rec as well, but not with the stock one. Get a better one.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/ <-- I use and recommend the FH020AA 'super kit'. Do not buy the Hyosung specific adaptor. Waste of money and not in your best interests anyway. FYI - Not a direct fit replacement, but not difficult either. You will need to trim some plastic.

Write if you need wiring instructions.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

pau2756

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The stator is a fair price and I can get same one on eBay in the UK so for a few dollars less (in ) so save the long postage.
Would be nice to be able to buy a kit with both parts and the gasket.
Will save the pennies and get one soon.

Paul

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:14 AM »

Electrosport do make a good stator.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Do the test properly before you go wasting money on parts you don't need.
The stator output is "AC", not DC.
The stator is a 3 phase unit so think triangle and measure the AC voltage between 2 wires on all three combinations.
eg, label the three yellow wires 1, 2, and 3, then measure 1 & 2, 1 & 3, and 2 & 3.
Start engine and disconnect stator from RR and then bring revs up to 5,000rpm. Output should be at least 65volts AC and each phase. If not, replace stator.
Despite many stators being replaced by owners, most replacements are subsequently found to be unnecessary. It is rare for them to fail, and usually it is because the owner failed to test it correctly.

The RR rectifies the AC over to DC and regulates it down to something around 15volts DC (sh!tty OEM RRs). The wire diameters in the harness in Hyos are all way under size and the OEM RR relies on approx. a 0.8volt drop to deliver a little over 14 volts to your battery at 5,000rpm.

Charge your battery overnight on an external charger before testing the RR output as the results will otherwise be skewed.

Best upgrade is to install two wires (red & black) of decent thickness direct from the RR output directly to the battery incorporating a 30amp self resetting circuit breaker in the positive wire close to the battery and to also make your own decent earth strap from the battery negative to a decent frame bolt nearby.

Second upgrade is to p!ss off that cr@p OEM RR and buy a MOSFET RR. They are rock steady at 14.4 volts DC and run cool.
Visit http://roadstercycle.com/
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Pages: [1]