• October 18, 2017, 12:08:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bike is not charging, but stator and RR is good. ???  (Read 271 times)

smoulding

• Training Wheels
Bike is not charging, but stator and RR is good. ???
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »

This thing is not charging at the battery. The stator is putting out the 60 to 75k AC or so at 5k rpm, so I checked the RR with the ohmmeter, and that's fine. Even checked the RR at the plug, and have 14 or so DC volts coming out of it, yet the battery stays flat at 12v. ???? What am I missing? Is there anything left? Maybe I should just splice a wire in there to the batt. The diagram looks like the wires from the RR terminate into the wiring harness. Thanks. 

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Christmas

• Regular rider
Re: Bike is not charging, but stator and RR is good. ???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »

Check the voltage at the connections to the battery

If it's fine there then dead battery?

smoulding

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »

Battery new and is good, 12v. According to the wiring diagram, I don't see anything left in the system. Good AC going into the RR, and 14v coming out of it at 5k rpm. At first I thought a fuse, but don't see one in the diagram. It only has 2 fuses, and both are good. Maybe a resistor or something that's inline. I thought I saw one in a wiring cluster under the seat that's plugged in. Looks like a white rectangle of white chocolate, but I am not getting a short from that plug to the one at the RR.   

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »

Upgrade your wiring.

Cut the power output connector off the reg/rec side.

Run a pair of wires direct from reg/rec to battery. Use 4mm2 wire (12G) with a fuse on the +'ve wire and ring terminals on the battery side.

Make another pair of wires that go from the battery to the original loom charge point. Re-use the connector you cut off the reg/rec if you like, or cut both sides and join them for least resistance.

With this method, the loom no longer charges the battery. Load on loom is therefore significantly reduced.

Extra style points for making an extra earth strap to the chassis.

I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

mrcrum

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »

Sounds like good advice, my sons bike has a fusible link coming from the fuse (a length of wire that will fail, much like a fuse, as a last resort).  These are used a lot on cars.  If that failed and you have to replace it any way you might as well do it right as umop-ǝpisdn says.  I would also recommend the extra ground.

Pages: [1]