• December 18, 2017, 11:18:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Old bike with lots of problems  (Read 1491 times)

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
Old bike with lots of problems
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

A bit more organized:
1. Bike problem overview: idles low, rough, and dies soon after. Only runs on carb cleaner, not gas and at full choke (too lean??). Has new spark plugs.
2. Carbs: Need to find air fuel screw, need pictures. Possible vacuum leak?
3. Hoses: This is a cluster f*kc. Need lots of labeled pictures!! Most likely lots of vacuum leaks and who knows what.
4. Gas: Does this bike use a fuel pump? If so is it electric or vacuum?

More Detailed:

I bought a 2005 Hyosung GT650 off of Craigslist about a week ago, and its been a s**t storm since I met the sellers. First off they lied to me about almost everything, first it was a 2011 Hyosung gtr, then when I went to look at it "if you look at the carbs you can tell its bored out", and finally "yes, it runs, and we started it up yesterday!". Long story short my policy went from "I won't pay until I see it run" to "I'll give you half the price if you let me take it home and try to fix it". I know these questions have probably been asked hundreds of times but every bike is different and I want to get this right instead of spending hours trying to find little scraps of what I need.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After about three days of working over wiring and getting the engine off, ignition, and finally start wires together and working (no key, I have to hot wire it), 3 liters of new 10-40, and new spark plugs, she runs on carb cleaner (it's horrible I know, I cringe every time I do it). I have one quick question, and one very long question.

The actual problem I am having right now is that (besides having to run it off my truck battery because the one it has in it holds charge for about half a second) the bike runs very weak and then dies a few seconds later on carb cleaner. This is with full choke. Now I have turned the idle screw down all the way, which seemed to help at first, but no she only runs for a few seconds either way. (probably f*cked the carbs up with all that carb cleaner). I really need to know where the air/ fuel mixture screw is. I have seen people say it is on the black cap on the front and back of the respective carburetors, but the only thing under there is a very thin membrane and a plastic screw, which another thread said was the sync pin, and I do NOT want to **** one more thing up on this bike. So a great picture of where that is would be AWESOME, but a description would work too.

Secondly, and most likely causing part of the first, ALMOST EVERY F*CKING VACUUM LINE ON THIS BIKE IS OFF OR PUT IN THE WRONG SPOT!!!!!! I cannot stress the anger this has caused me, seeing as I built the engine in my truck from the ground up (well, all three engines that have been in it, I run them very hard :P). This includes carb lines, case breather lines, two lines that look like they should go into a box under the air box and shoot oil everywhere if i don't put them there, what seems to be empty nipples in some places, each carb has a nipple on the side towards the top right by the black box (the rear carb points to the right) and I can't tell if they are vacuum lines or what? Also, something tells me I am not getting enough fuel to the carb bowls, and was wondering if these bikes have a fuel pump, and if so, are they vacuum or electrical? If vacuum, where is the hose supposed to go? There are two wires going to the rear of the fuel tank into a little plastic box looking thing, I think they are yellow and black? I basically need someone that has a picture of about every angle of the bike engine to send me the pictures so I can piece this engine back together.

It has been raining today, so I am going to test the compression tomorrow. I hope someone can get me the answers I need. I also will post some pictures for more clarity.

On a lighter note, this is my first post, so hi everyone!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:15:24 AM by furrykedrian98 »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Old bike with lots of problems
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »

Heya Furry,

Just as well it's NOT a 2005. Those featured a problem with the valve guides that made them extremely unreliable. Explosively so.

If it is indeed a 2011, it should be EFI, not carb. Got any pics of the throttle bodies?

If it is indeed EFI, do not touch any screws on the throttle bodies.

Stock charging system tends to die after a few years (sometimes months?).

Let us know how that comp test turns out.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »

Heya Furry,

Just as well it's NOT a 2005. Those featured a problem with the valve guides that made them extremely unreliable. Explosively so.

If it is indeed a 2011, it should be EFI, not carb. Got any pics of the throttle bodies?

If you read his post , it is indeed a 2005 model . He says they lied about it being a 2011 model .
If I had a carby model , I would get pictures for you now mate , I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:08:49 PM by spit051261 »

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

Heya Furry,

Well that's not good.... It is a 2005, I looked up the VIN number, and it confirms this. and definitely carbed, unless they make fuel injectors that look just like carbs!

Those featured a problem with the valve guides that made them extremely unreliable. Explosively so.
And could you explain this? since its valve guides it could be causing a loss in compression.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:31:39 PM by furrykedrian98 »

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »

If you read his post , it is indeed a 2005 model . He says they lied about it being a 2011 model .
If I had a carby model , I would get pictures for you now mate , I feel your pain.

yep, carbed. Ill get pictures today, it was around two or three in the morning when I posted the original message.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:32:45 PM by furrykedrian98 »

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »

Another thing, there are two hoses coming out of the case right before the piston at full down stroke (I assume) and I think these are case vents. They go up to a box under the intake air filter and shoot oil EVERYWHERE if I don't plug them into that box. They shoot air out before the oil comes, and it feels pretty strong. If these are indeed the case vents, then are they supposed to be blowing that hard? The only time they shot oil out of the box was when I first filled her up, and I'm assuming I overfilled her, even though supposedly she takes 3000 ml (3 liters, right? or am I an idiot?). Could this mean the piston rings are worn down? I am compression testing her today, and I will put oil in the cylinder to test the rings. I will post my findings in a little bit.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »

[img]http://Bike shit https://imgur.com/a/zsAQ6[/imgpictures of the Ike wires and engine. Lots of holes.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »

Ah, I read the years part arse about face. I thought they advertised it as a 2005.

first it was a 2011 Hyosung gtr

Sorry to say it, but if it's 2005, cut your losses. It's not worth any effort at all.

The valve guide issue is well documented here:

http://korider.com/index.php?topic=18064.0

Basically the valve stem guide sticks to the valve stem, valve touches piston, most often while the bike is being ridden and the engine catastrophically fails.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »

On further reading of the thread I posted, I realise that there was a recall in the USA, but not here in Australia.

Some of the affected models have had the heads replaced. Heads with the corrected valve stems are stamped with a dot on them. I'll search for a picture.

** edit **

Found a picture:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:37:27 PM by umop-ǝpisdn »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »

Photophucket link :(

Hope it stays up long enough for you to see it. If it does, save it ASAP.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4