• December 18, 2017, 03:43:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Old bike with lots of problems  (Read 1490 times)

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
Re: Old bike with lots of problems
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »

Photophucket link :(

Hope it stays up long enough for you to see it. If it does, save it ASAP.
I saved that picture, but I'm wondering if, since I live in the US, the bike could be fixed for free? Because while I can do a valve job and or replace the heads, I do not want to do it in a parking lot...

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »

Hyosung no longer actually exist in the USA any more, as far as I know.

Send a PM to forum member beachpitcrew and see if he has any further information. I think he is after them for some sort of legal action thing. 

Perhaps check the heads first to see if they have the dot.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »

Let us know how that comp test turns out.

So the compression tester I got (stupidly) was meant for cars, and since I am on a college budget, I cannot afford to go buy a hundred dollar compression tester im going to use once. Do any of you have good advise about other methods for somewhat accurately testing the compression? Mind you I am working in a parking lot pissing off the college, so I am limited on any fab work (like making an adapter out of the old spark plug).

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 10:16:20 PM »

Hyosung no longer actually exist in the USA any more, as far as I know.

Send a PM to forum member beachpitcrew and see if he has any further information. I think he is after them for some sort of legal action thing. 

Perhaps check the heads first to see if they have the dot.
I definitely will, if I can't get any heads in, does anyone know a good alternative? are there aftermarket valves that are shorter or something? If not it looks like my time with my hyosung was short and bitter  :-\.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:56:32 PM »

Okay, so I just need a couple answers right now:
1. Where is the fuel mix screw on these carbs? its the middle screw on the bottom of the carbs, right?
2. How is the vacuum line supposed to be set up so I get fuel pressure?

The petcock on the tank on other bikes seems to have a second nipple on the bottom, which has a tube on it. Mine seems to have been broken off and then JB Welded, so I only have the fuel nipple coming off of the side of the petcock. Is this okay? can I still get fuel pressure??

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 12:07:23 AM »

As with spit, I also do not have a carb bike, else I would take a pic for you.

I wonder if the workshop manual will help?

http://hyosung.hu/download/pdf/data/service-manual/gt650%20carburetor%20service%20manual.rar

You'll need winrar (or some other unrar utility). You can find it at rarlabs.com
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 12:20:50 AM »

I would have to agree with umop-əpisdn and cut your losses and run . Maybe sell it as parts .
How much did you pay for it ?
That is an old bike and it's not as if it's Triumph , it's a Hyosung .
No good throwing good money after bad.
Anyway , good luck in whatever you decide .

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »

As to the question regarding valves. It's the valve guides that are too long in the older heads, not the valves themselves. They heat up due to excessive friction and eventually stick.

A pair of 2nd hand heads from fleabay might be an option. I don't know how much you have into it, or how keen you are to invest further. If you really want to come out the other end with a working Hyosung, I'll lend what assistance I can. I'm sure others will to. If you find that you do not have the dot stamped heads and you still want to continue, perhaps contact forum member albertinhouston. Presumably he's in Houston. I know he gets reliable supply of all things 2nd hand Hyosung at good prices.

Other things to be aware of with these bikes.

1. The diaphragm in the fuel pump tends to perforate. Rebuild kits are available at whygostock.com at minimal cost.

2. The petcock tends to leak which can cause hydrolock. Not difficult to fix either, nor is it overly expensive.

3. The charging system, in particular the reg/rec tends to fail. Do not replace with stock, as it will just fail again in short order. Suggested replacement is a Shindengen FH020AA, as found in later model Yamaha litre bikes. A brand new one with all the wiring and an auto-resetting circuit breaker can be bought for circa $150 from http://roadstercycle.com

So that's it. If have, or can find dot stamped heads; Clean and tune the carbs back to stock values, or re-jet them if you want to squeeze a bit more out of it. Fix the likely perforated fuel pump. Replace the reg/rec.

FYI, in my time on this forum I have never seen anyone clean the carbs successfully on their first attempt. Not one person. It's always an arduous affair with multiple frustrating tear downs, broken screws etc, only to find a stray speck of dirt on the third or fourth attempt. If you have the carbs apart, then clean them Sheldon-like. Even if it takes a few days.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 01:35:54 AM »

As to the question regarding valves. It's the valve guides that are too long in the older heads, not the valves themselves. They heat up due to excessive friction and eventually stick.

A pair of 2nd hand heads from fleabay might be an option. I don't know how much you have into it, or how keen you are to invest further. If you really want to come out the other end with a working Hyosung, I'll lend what assistance I can. I'm sure others will to. If you find that you do not have the dot stamped heads and you still want to continue, perhaps contact forum member albertinhouston. Presumably he's in Houston. I know he gets reliable supply of all things 2nd hand Hyosung at good prices.

Other things to be aware of with these bikes.

1. The diaphragm in the fuel pump tends to perforate. Rebuild kits are available at whygostock.com at minimal cost.

2. The petcock tends to leak which can cause hydrolock. Not difficult to fix either, nor is it overly expensive.

3. The charging system, in particular the reg/rec tends to fail. Do not replace with stock, as it will just fail again in short order. Suggested replacement is a Shindengen FH020AA, as found in later model Yamaha litre bikes. A brand new one with all the wiring and an auto-resetting circuit breaker can be bought for circa $150 from http://roadstercycle.com

So that's it. If have, or can find dot stamped heads; Clean and tune the carbs back to stock values, or re-jet them if you want to squeeze a bit more out of it. Fix the likely perforated fuel pump. Replace the reg/rec.

FYI, in my time on this forum I have never seen anyone clean the carbs successfully on their first attempt. Not one person. It's always an arduous affair with multiple frustrating tear downs, broken screws etc, only to find a stray speck of dirt on the third or fourth attempt. If you have the carbs apart, then clean them Sheldon-like. Even if it takes a few days.

Well I have good news! I got her to run. I had to REALLY richen the carbs (around 2 turn each) and I connected a hose coming off the box that the line from the fuel tank goes to (mounted on right side of bike) to just underneath the rear carb where there was an open nipple. The vacuum that hole had seems to be (poorly) pumping the gas, which wasn't happening before. I am thinking about getting a connector and putting another hose on the other carb for more steady fuel flow. She starts at half choke, and I no longer need carb cleaner.

One thing to note, though, is the nipple at the top of the front carb, pointing to the left, was open and started leaking gas, like a lot of gas. So I plugged that (probably bad idea) until I figure out where it's supposed to go. I assume it is an overflow and I need to get another hose to go up to the tank. I'm having trouble starting her right now, but she ran for five minutes earlier, but leaking fuel out of that hole.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 01:38:45 AM »

I don't know how much you have into it, or how keen you are to invest further.
I currently have about 460 to 480 invested in her, and I really only need her to last me a little bit. I'm not looking to restore a bike to tip top condition, just basically a throw away bike that I can do stupid shit on and not worry if I lay her over. As long as she runs and looks legal ish, I don't care.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4