• October 18, 2017, 02:49:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Old bike with lots of problems  (Read 1312 times)

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
Re: Old bike with lots of problems
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:55 AM »

An update: after sitting for about twenty minutes I tried to crank her over again, and couldn't. I eventually decided to take the carb off and holy crap the entire front cylinder (or at least the intake to the cylinder) if filled to the top with gas!! I ended up turning the bike on its side and letting the gas flow out and removed the tank. Now I'm wondering if this could be because of the vacuum petcock? Could I just install a manual petcock?

Also, I smelled the Oil and there is a slight smell of gas to it, so I will be draining the Oil and putting new oil in tomorrow, as well as figuring out a way to manually shut of the petcock, even if I just have to disconnect the fuel line and plug it every time it's not running.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:47:50 AM by furrykedrian98 »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »

That's the one! I mentioned earlier that the petcock tends to be a little bit shit.

Either install a manual tap, or rebuild kits are available. whygostock.com is one of the better choices for US based folk, as they are also US based.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Learner rider
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 03:10:08 AM »

Good . Hopefully it's a cheap , quick fix .
If it's flooded , could explain why it's not firing .

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:08 AM »

I know very little about carbies, so take or leave what I say:

AFAIK, the float bowl, once full, should raise the level of the float so that it actions on a needle that closes the flow of fuel. This is in addition to the petcock that should also stop the flow of fuel when the engine is off.

For the engine to hydrolock, both need to not be working.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure the float is getting stuck based on other posts on this website and others, so I will start by tapping the float bowl to see if that helps, if not then I'm going to have to take off the carbs and clean them out. I suppose the only way to get the choke out is to take off the handle bar, huh?

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »

Welp I left the gas tank off and it rained, so there's probably a good about of water in the engine. I'm gonna drain the Oil and take the spark plugs out, hopefully it'll dry, but it's supposed to pour non stop all week... ugh. Maybe I'll take this time out to take the carbs off and properly clean them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:42:43 PM by furrykedrian98 »

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »

Drain https://imgur.com/gallery/K6X9c
So this is the Oil drain plug, is that a lot of metal? It seems to be about as much as when I change the Oil on my 350...

Also, when I thought I smelled gas in my tank, apparently I smelled oil in my gas. This is what came out of the oil pan:

Imgur is being stupid right now, but four quarts plus half of a 6 qt can came out.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:57 AM »

Also, the heads are stamped, so they have been replaced, luckily.

Nowe, when she runs she puts out a variable amount of white smoke and a slight burnt smell, which I am assuming is coolant, especially because I have to top her off about every day. I'm hoping this is just the head gasket and nothing major like a Crack in one of the water channels. Any advise or common fail points?

Christmas

• Regular rider
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:05 AM »

That's the way I used to deal with the choke but now I just unscrew them at each carb and screw them back in once I'm putting them back on. It saves a massive **** around..

Also the manual petcock is a bad idea as you won't be able to reach in with the tank on, l also wanted to go that way.

I bought a rebuild kit from why go stock and it did pretty much nothing to help the problem so I bought a cheap Chinese knock off of the SV650 petcock which is exactly the same as ours and it works perfectly.

My issue with hydrolock/leaking was a combination of shit petcock never fully stopping the flow and the fuel pump pumping the fuel which ended up overcoming the floats in the carbs and forcing fuel through the needle and seat.

Try buying a new petcock and I reckon it won't leak. Sounds exactly like mine.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

That's the way I used to deal with the choke but now I just unscrew them at each carb and screw them back in once I'm putting them back on. It saves a massive **** around..

Also the manual petcock is a bad idea as you won't be able to reach in with the tank on, l also wanted to go that way.

I bought a rebuild kit from why go stock and it did pretty much nothing to help the problem so I bought a cheap Chinese knock off of the SV650 petcock which is exactly the same as ours and it works perfectly.

My issue with hydrolock/leaking was a combination of shit petcock never fully stopping the flow and the fuel pump pumping the fuel which ended up overcoming the floats in the carbs and forcing fuel through the needle and seat.

Try buying a new petcock and I reckon it won't leak. Sounds exactly like mine.

Cool, glad to hear that someone else is experiencing these issues. I currently just clamp a pit if vise grips over the fuel line before I turn the bike off, it seems to work pretty well.

Still concerned about the smoke, I was hoping it was coolant but it has a pretty nasty smell, almost like gas, so I'm wondering with that float being stuck like that, can the gas still push through at idle and up to like half throttle and make one cylinder burn super rich?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4