• December 18, 2017, 11:18:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2012 GT650R coil replacement.  (Read 512 times)

kiwi_steve

• Training Wheels
2012 GT650R coil replacement.
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:32:14 AM »

2012 GT650R coil replacement.
So as the title suggest, Looking for A set of replacement coils, prefer plug and play. but open to suggestions that are proven to work.
I know from a previous thread that went on for 19 pages, that the SV650 coils will not work due to them being a different resistance.
Does anyone know or has anyone swapped out their coils on A 2012 GT650R for better ones?

Steve

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

UNdocab

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: 2012 GT650R coil replacement.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »

Sv/ vstrom 650 2002 -2007 ignition coils are perfect fit for gt650.I am using them for 80.000km

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »

The SV coils are only useful for older hyos. Not suitable for 2012+
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

UNdocab

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »

The SV coils are only useful for older hyos. Not suitable for 2012+

Than sorry for my wrong information.
What is the differance between older and +2012?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »

They're a different resistance on the primary winding.

The 2012+ models use a Delphi ECU. This ECU needs low resistance coils.

Earlier model 650cc Hyo bikes used coils that were 4 ohms, with a working range of 3 ~ 5 ohms.

Late model bikes I am unsure about, but they appear to be between 0.5 and 0.7 ohms. This is a complete guess as I do not have one of these bikes and have never measured it myself.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »

The early (pre-EFI) and later (post-EFI) coils will both work even though the resistances are ever so slightly different but you should ensure that both coils are of the same type. Provided the coil resistances are within a "range" that is acceptable by the ECU it will not throw up FI error codes.
Errors only throw up if there is a short or open circuit.

The very latest coils have changed shape and this alters how the coils are mounted onto the frame. If you have the latest shape then you need to consider how you will affix a non-genuine replacement.

Older 250 and 650 range 2000 to 2015

Newer 250 and 650 range 2015 onwards

The front and rear coils are identical for all models however the coils are usually not supplied with the HT leads and the front HT lead is shorter than the rear HT lead. The HT leads and spark plug caps are screw on.

Feel free to use which ever coil you choose for front or rear but the coil mounted in the front must only be connected to the wiring from the ECU that is meant for the front coil and must only go to the front plug.
Obviously you would never connect the front HT lead to the rear coil or you get out of sequence spark and this will lead to engine damage.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:45:40 AM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

cameronda

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »

Hate to say it, but when I built my Hyo, I could not use the older coils with the Delphi EFI

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

Correct. They are incompatible.

kiwi_steve

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:10:59 AM »

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Seems the reason i wanted to change the coils in the first place was miss firing, but later found out the reason it was missing was due to the fact the that stock coil caps are the reason.
The stock caps are made of a shitty plastic and are prone to arcing through the caps to the head, this also happens if there is any crack on the caps. When the bike is full heated it becomes more prominent as the crack will widen, making it even easier for it to arc/short. You can usually see black carbon deposits on the connector from arcing.
Switched them out the the sv650 caps, problem solved. Was made aware of this from Paul at Peter Stevens in Ringwood, hes the Hyosung mechanic. Hes dealt with this problem many times before.
The connector on the sv caps are more thicker and couple with the plug end better, stopping it from arcing. Also the cap material is thicker and alot more resistant to arcing
Since I swapped them last night, the bike has not misfired once, got the bike really hot to try and get it to miss, nothing.
Problem solved.

Would like to add, if anyone else has this problem, they should be looking at their caps first.

Steve

Pages: [1]