• December 18, 2017, 01:48:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ignition  (Read 496 times)

Chronic.turtle

• Training Wheels
Ignition
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »

New to the forum thing . I tried searching for my issue but nothing showed up.

I'm currently customizing my 03 gv250.

I want to replace both my key switch and starter switch (on the hand controls) with an aftermarket chrome ignition/ starter switch in one, so that the bike will start with a turn of they key.

My concern is how to go about wiring in the new key ignition/starter switch. Because the current key switch has 4wires plus a wire with a fuse that bi-passes where it connects to the harness.  And I have the kill switch and starter button on the hand controls. How would I go about wiring this to my new four prong key ignition/starter switch

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Ignition
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 11:56:28 PM »

What are you going to do about the "kill switch" I hope you are not going to eliminate it. Turning a key to make the starter go may be unsafe as you will need to take your hand off the bars
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

Chronic.turtle

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:49:40 AM »

I'm not concerned about safety , especially since I run the bike without even being on it everytime before I ride it . I hadn't planned on what to do with the kill switch because it being in the same controls as the starter switch. I need to figure out how to wire the ignition before I can decide what to do with it.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 03:07:15 AM »

Does the new key assembly come with a wiring diagram?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Chronic.turtle

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:18:48 AM »

No wiring diagram. But it's marked; BAT, ACC, IG, & ST on its four prongs.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »

OK, so then Bat is pretty obviously constant power.

Acc is what I would suggest is what goes to pin 86 on the main relay. The main relay then of course lights up everything else.

IG has be a bit puzzled. Obviously it's for the ignition, but how is it wired? At a guess, I want to say (or maybe I want to hope) that it's like the kill switch rocker in that it's inline with the ignition circuit and when cut, then it kills power to the coils. The problem with that is that there has to be a line in and a line out for this to be the case. The only way I see it working with a single wire, is joining BAT to IG to power the coils, when the key is turned past ACC. i.e. bike running.

Problem: I think the kill switch rocker cuts the ground wire, not the live wire. Obviously, the consequences of crossing these without checking first could be ... spectacular. I suggest studying the wiring diagram in the workshop manual carefully.

ST is another curly one. Again, there should be a line in and a line out for it to match the standard setup. Again, I suspect that the stock loom cuts ground. I know this sounds ass about face, but think about it, the less live wires you have in your switch gear, the safer they are in an accident. This is why I think they choose to cut ground, rather than the more obvious option of providing live when you want the circuit active. The safety aspect is irrelevant here, as I presume that the key is safely buried in a region less exposed.

If what I suspect is correct, you're going to need to make significant changes.

First things first. You're going to need to have a play with that switch. Do you have a multi-meter? Can it test 'continuity'? If not, then test resistance.

You want to put one probe on the BAT wire and the other on the IG wire, if the continuity tester now beeps, then we know what the story there is. Same for ST.

Ooooh I just had a bit of a brain wave. ...if the stock loom is cutting the ground wire and not live, then all you have to do is run the BAT wire to the -'ve terminal of the battery!

All the outputs from the key then connect to the return lines on the stock loom, which might be a mission to identify. The wiring diagram on the workshop manual will help.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »

You should probably have a think about how committed you are to that key idea, because the more I think about this, the more complex this may get, because the ACC is going to want +'ve and the starter/igniton are possibly going to want -'ve.

Pages: [1]