• December 18, 2017, 03:33:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Solar Challenge 2017 - Race starts Sunday 8th of October  (Read 1334 times)

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
World Solar Challenge 2017 - Race starts Sunday 8th of October
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »

As some of you may know, I am a long time supporter of the Western Sydney Uni, Solar Care team.

WSC2017 starts tomorrow morning. 17 hours from now.

https://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/dashboard/timing

Unlimited 2.0 is the Challenger class entry from WSU, which is the one I am cheering on, but there's a whole bunch of remarkable teams out there. All eyes are on Nuon's Nuna9, last year's winners. The Japanese university teams of Tokai Uni and Kogakuin, both with previous podium finishes, have extremely exciting cars.

Easily the most expensive car in the field, the Tokai University car features brand new Panasonic solar panel technology said to be almost 25% efficient and radical new aero design! ..I just hope it is more stable than it looks in a cross wind. Tokai are seasoned veterans in this race and they certainly have an enviable history to prove it.

Speaking of radical aero, Kogakuin's 'Wing' wins the crazy cool aero award. I don't think there's even a 2nd place getter.

..and here's Unlimited 2.0, the WSU entry: (FYI, the nose end is on the right. Nuts yeah? Looks like a platypus!)

I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: World Solar Challenge 2017 - Race starts Sunday 8th of October
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

End of the first day.

488 kms travelled!

Tokai lead, Nuon 2nd and WSU third!! Only 10 minutes separate 1st and third.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »

I read this article and remembered your post last time on the WSC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41486526

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:05:29 AM »

Yeah, it's a pity that they crashed.

Without knowing anything about the specifics, I would guess that most likely a 'road train' zoomed by and they got thrown around by it's draft.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:25 AM »

Day two - overcast.

WSU still managed to maintain an average speed of 78km/h though, but they lost ground and got overtaken by several cars. Dutch entry Nuon Solar Team have a commanding lead. Uni of Michigan flew by and stormed ahead. Another entry from the Netherlands, Solar Team Twente also loved the overcast conditions. Tokai fell a couple of spots, surprisingly. Punch Powertrain and Kogakuin also overtook and crept ahead of WSU.

Day three - gigantic thunderstorm.

Still waiting for the teams to settle and camp. Information is scarce, but definitely Nuon running away with it at this point. Michigan has a shaky second. Michigan, Twente, Tokai and Punch in that order. Stuff all between them. Kogakuin and WSU some way back camped for the night in the same rest area, along side the Stuart Hwy. So WSU presently 7th, but with nothing between 6th and 7th.

I don't know about other teams, but WSU had it very tough today averaging under 30km/h.

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »

Theres some very cool looking designs. You can tell this is a massive event by the interest from big name sponsors plastered on them.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »

Meh. It's the redheaded stepchild of motorsport. The nerd Le Mans if you prefer. Finding sponsors is hard work. When it started, in 1992, the top speed for one of these types of cars was only 23km/h. Now, they do more than that in the pouring rain and can hit top speeds of 120km/h. In the last two events, the speed limit has started to be an actual issue! Some segments of the Stuart Hwy have no speed limit, but some do and where there is one, competitors are made very aware that they are not to exceed it and that the Police will be enforcing that limit.

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Meh. It's the redheaded stepchild of motorsport. The nerd Le Mans if you prefer. Finding sponsors is hard work. When it started, in 1992, the top speed for one of these types of cars was only 23km/h. Now, they do more than that in the pouring rain and can hit top speeds of 120km/h. In the last two events, the speed limit has started to be an actual issue! Some segments of the Stuart Hwy have no speed limit, but some do and where there is one, competitors are made very aware that they are not to exceed it and that the Police will be enforcing that limit.

I did not know that. Having said that, I would imagine if it was manned at 120km/h, something that size would be borderline Red Bull Soapbox Solar Race. If that happens, you read it here first and it was my idea.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »

1 to 5, same as yesterday, but with Tokai dropping a spot to 5th.

Nuon have a two hour lead from 2nd, and they will comfortably reach Adelaide in time for lunch tomorow. Michigan have just 3 mins on Punch. Twente and Toki are about 5-10 mins back.

Here's a surprise, a good dozen or so Cruiser and Advenure class cars passed WSU and Kogakuin yesterday. They're allowed to use mains power to top up their much larger batteries, so the overcast conditions didn't really affect them as solar isn't their primary power source. ..unlike the Challenger class cars that use solar exclusively! Cruiser class are all two seaters and must carry a passenger. Advenure class cars seat 4-5 occupants and are scored based on people kms. i.e. the distance they travel is multiplied by the number of people they carry.

The sun came back out again in the late afternoon and tomorrow's forcast is clear skies! ..I am thinking that WSU who have a slim lead on Kogakuin are going to catch the tightly grouped Cruiser / Adventure class cars some time tomorrow mid morning and end up 6th overall.

I'd say that they're in range of Adelaide (the finish line) tomorrow, but it'll be tight.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »

What it takes to make things cloudy in the outback.

This NEVER happens. ..unless you plan a solar car event. Drought for six months and then boom.

Pages: [1] 2