• December 18, 2017, 11:13:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hyosung GT250R wont start!  (Read 250 times)

manuviswan

• Training Wheels
Hyosung GT250R wont start!
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »

Hey Guys,

I have got a Hysong GT250R (2007) - Has been in good condition, done around 59,000km so far. Has been regularly used up until two months ago including a full service by authorized dealers after which there's only been very minimal activity - one was a 90km one day ride, and then 3 or 4 small 15km rides. The bike has been well covered preventing it from rain and occasional hail. Now, started the bike two nights ago, took it out - no issues at all. Last night, tried to start again, and then -  absolutely no response.

So, I turn on the ignition, lights show up on the display, indicators work, headlights work, horns work, turned off the kill switch, put the bike in neutral, take the side stand off and press the ignition - absolutely nothing happens. tries it in gear, same thing. have got enough petrol in the bike, and the battery is only two years old - and was in really good condition considering the amount of usage its had over the last two years (never gone flat). Now, I tried to push start the bike and after several attempts, it worked - I kept it running for 15 minutes on neutral after which it automatically turned off, and now when I try the ignition again, the same thing - nothing happens.

My bike knowledge is probably of beginner level, but I have heard much about this neutral switch causing issues (due to which sometimes my bike don't recognize am in neutral when it clearly is). Also after the recent service, the mechanic had turned off the side stand switch (the bike would start if it's in gear with the side stand on), and I asked him to turn in on coz I find that safer - he said it might have some issues in future.

I wanna see if I can fix it myself rather than paying 200$ to a mechanic, If you guys can provide some help, point out obvious things that I should check/rule out or redirect me to some articles that can help, it would be amazing. Thanks a lot for your valuable time - much appreciated. (and really sorry for the long post)

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:24:11 AM by manuviswan »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
Re: Hyosung GT250R wont start!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »

Sounds like a side stand switch (SSS) issue. Works just like a kill switch.
However, if it were the SSS, you would be unable to push start the engine.
In any case it is still worth cleaning the SSS.
Spray some degreaser on it and give it a good blast with a water hose and work that plunger in and out a few times then try starting.

If that doesn't work it may be that the starter solenoid or the handlebar starter button that triggers the solenoid that has a fault. Disassemble the right hand handlebar switch block and check for loose wires etc.
To test the starter solenoid for issues, First ensure the bike is in neutral with the ignition key on, then use a length of wire (test leads with alligator clips are good) and jump from the heavy duty wire bolt connector on the solenoid that comes from the battery positive, to the small trigger wire connector that comes from the handlebar switch. The solenoid is just a heavy duty relay designed to handle approx. 80 amps that the starter motor draws.
If the solenoid functions when you jump it with the test lead but not when press the handlebar button the fault lies with the button.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:16:30 AM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

manuviswan

• Training Wheels
Re: Hyosung GT250R wont start!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:19 AM »

Hey man,

thanks for the reply. I have just tried jump starting the bike, but no response from the bike. The battery shows a 12.5 volt charge so am assuming it does retain the charge, and it might not be a complaint with the battery. Based on what you said, it does make sense that if its caused by a faulty side stand switch, it wouldnt let me push start it. but yeah worth a try to clean it up. Also the ignition switch and starter selenoid. Thanks for your assistance, will look into it.

Have a nice day.

Pages: [1]