• November 19, 2017, 09:34:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Headlights only when bike runs?  (Read 407 times)

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
Headlights only when bike runs?
« on: October 25, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »

So I have an 05 Gt650 and I've searched a few places and it seems that some people's headlights work when the key is turned, and some only work with the bike running. I was wondering if anyone could help with some input and some tips if there is something wrong? Oh, one more thing, the bike does not have a key, I start it by touching the hot to the start and ignition wires, and then leaving the start wire hot. If there is another wire I should have connected let me know. Again, the headlight does turn on when running, but it would suck if I ran out of gas on the highway or crashed on a country road and the bike died.

also, I am missing the cluster. I am not sure if the 05 model came with the digital cluster or the two dials for tach and spedo? If anyone can input on this as well that would be great, and if you have an extra in the US, even better.
Thanks!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Headlights only when bike runs?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:15:49 AM »

furry,

Ask albertinhouston about parts. He usually has something of some kind that will work.

As to running the lights only when the bike is on. Is this because you don't want the light to be on when the starter motor kicks over, or is it because, since there is no key, that the light won't turn off?

Some thoughts:

The headlight circuit has a relay. Relays typically have four pins. They're called pin 30, 85, 86 and 87. Pin 30 goes direct to the battery. Pin 85 works with pin 86 to action an electromagnet in the relay. Pin 87 is the positive wire that goes to the headlight.

Magic happens on either pin 85 or 86. Doesn't matter which one you pick. I was thinking you might add a toggle switch. That way the light can be on when you want it to be or off when you choose.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »

furry,

Ask albertinhouston about parts. He usually has something of some kind that will work.

As to running the lights only when the bike is on. Is this because you don't want the light to be on when the starter motor kicks over, or is it because, since there is no key, that the light won't turn off?

Some thoughts:

The headlight circuit has a relay. Relays typically have four pins. They're called pin 30, 85, 86 and 87. Pin 30 goes direct to the battery. Pin 85 works with pin 86 to action an electromagnet in the relay. Pin 87 is the positive wire that goes to the headlight.

Magic happens on either pin 85 or 86. Doesn't matter which one you pick. I was thinking you might add a toggle switch. That way the light can be on when you want it to be or off when you choose.

I was thinking along the same lines. As far as the toggle switch. And, well I got the bike used so I am not sure what the previous owner did to the bike, but the wiring is all poorly redone. As far as I can tell it's like the headlights aren't hooked up to the battery at all. The only power they have is through the magneto when the bike is running. I will look at some wiring diagrams and figure out the pin 85 and 86 stuff. I mentioned the key because (i need to look at the wiring diagram again) I have no clue if the key has a wire for the headlight and cluster power, or if it all runs when power is provided to the start wire?
I have a lot of school work to do so it will be a while before I can look this up, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

So I have an 05 Gt650 ......, the bike does not have a key, I start it by touching the hot to the start and ignition wires, and then leaving the start wire hot. ........ the headlight does turn on when running, .......also, I am missing the cluster.

So someone has butchered all the electrics  that revolve around the missing dashboard.
My guess is that is why things aren't working properly.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »

So I have an 05 Gt650 ......, the bike does not have a key, I start it by touching the hot to the start and ignition wires, and then leaving the start wire hot. ........ the headlight does turn on when running, .......also, I am missing the cluster.

So someone has butchered all the electrics  that revolve around the missing dashboard.
My guess is that is why things aren't working properly.

Not only that. As far as I can tell from what I've been told by different people, the entire wiring harness has been replaced by three separate people who didn't know or talk to each other. I'm positive the wiring is gonna be screwy. But hey, it runs and the lights work when it's running at least.

spit051261

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »

Hi ,
The coil connections on relays (pin 85 and 86) are sometimes polarity conscious due to the use of blocking diodes on some relay circuits . Pin 85 should ALWAYS be connected to ground (negative) and pin 86 is positive .
Pin 30 is the feed , pin 87 is N/O and pin 87a is N/C . Sorry about clearing that up but connect some relays wrong and you will blow a fuse due to short circuit if a diode is used .
Sounds to me like you have a wire missing or disconnected .

furrykedrian98

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »

Wouldn't suprise me. Met the original owner again to get the title and bill of sale (finally), and he said his friend put a new wiring harness in. Since they are not exactly experts in mechanics or wiring, I'd say they could have missed more than a few things.

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

It sounds like somebody depinned a connector and maybe got the positive and negative backwards when they repinned the new connector. or somehow got it pinned into the emergency stop switch if you have bypassed the emergency stop switch turn it on and see if the headlight comes on normal. There is a silly reason for sure because 12 volts should be there if the ignition is on. I smell foul play at the emergency kill switch
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

Pages: [1]