• June 24, 2018, 02:15:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fuel Starvation / Power Loss  (Read 1388 times)

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Fuel Starvation / Power Loss
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:16:51 AM »

You are probably better off using the lowest octane fuel your bike will safely run at . If it's tuned to 91 from factory , use 91.
It's all to do with detonation if I remember correctly and a higher octane fuel won't necessarily give you more power .
The fuel companies would love you to use higher grade fuel . More profit for them .
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

nickgtr

• Learner rider
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 03:05:36 AM »

I pulled the petcock out of mine and the filter attatched to it was rooted, so theres a fair chance Ive had fine particulates and filter mesh getting into the jets and causing gremlins, so now I gotta find a filter for it or replace the petcock and open up the carbies for a clean. All before the 12th jan ready for superbike school, yay

Grumpyoldman@40

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »

Apparently, Hyosungs only need the cheapest fuel - that is what they are tuned for.

If it has just been serviced, it sounds like maybe something from that - plug gap, air leak, loose connection etc.?  Or that pesky sidestand switch?  Mine caused an intermittent cut out until I disconnected it.  That fixed everything!
I think youíre right - donít think the fuel has any bearing on the problem.

The side stand is a separate problem. Intermittent though and only a problem when knocking into first after starting - sometime it cuts. The clutch switch on the other hand was a nightmare until I bypassed it in 2 minutes after watching a video on YouTube.

Iím hoping for a simple fix - I canít shell out any more money on this bike itís draining me financially and mentally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpyoldman@40

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »

Further Update
I picked up the bike having been re-checked for the same fault re power loss and it again appeared fine. But within a matter of days it has flared up again.

However, I now think I know what the fault is. I have a rusty fuel tank and it was flooded with water late last year due to being left out in the open for period of 2 weeks. Hasnít been the same since. From reading other posts and articles this is the most likely cause for the power loss. Just a visible check when you open the cap I can see pronounced visible rust in the tank. This is most likely getting sucked into the injectors / carbs.

I will attempt to re-seal the tank and clean / change the fuel filter and hope for the best.

If this doesnít cure the bugger itís getting sold - love for this Hyo only goes so far!

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 04:10:35 AM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the tank with either new or a good second tank ?
You could then change filter and mix fuel system cleaner in the tank .
Is the fuel filter full of rust ?

Grumpyoldman@40

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the tank with either new or a good second tank ?
You could then change filter and mix fuel system cleaner in the tank .
Is the fuel filter full of rust ?
Cost for a new tank is shown as £320 with 2nd hand coming in at over a £100.
The cost of resealing the tank is about £50 with all the treatments.
Cost is key at the moment so will attempt to do this myself and will see how it goes.
I can imagine the filter will be full of rust but will let you know.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:34 AM »

That sounds fair enough  :)
I would probably use fuel cleaner and maybe keep changing filters until they are clear of any debris . Just keep flushing until the filters are clean after cutting them up for inspection .
Sounds like you are on the right track though .
If you could put a pic up of the cut up fuel filter others will then know what to look for if they get a similar problem .
In work , whenever we get a bad oil sample off Heavy Earth Moving Gear , the filter is the first thing that is cut up to see if there is metal or debris present .
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:12:09 AM by spit051261 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »

If you can believe it, the EFI bikes have no fuel filter. I shit you not.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »

If you can believe it, the EFI bikes have no fuel filter. I shit you not.
:o :o :o :o
That is unbelievable . I have never worked on or owned any vehicle that did not have a fuel filter (diesel or petrol) . There has been reported issues of contaminated fuel in the past and without a fuel filter , bye bye injectors and pump or at least running like a pig :o . Rusty fuel will defo wreck the system without a filter .
Edit . Just a thought , why did they bother with an oil filter , just could have relied on the mag plug ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:26:27 PM by spit051261 »

Grumpyoldman@40

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »

Yeah, mine is the EFI and after much googling I realised there is no filter apart from that attached to the pump assembly! Itís a strange tea bag style filter. I was going to use brake cleaner to clean it - is this alright? Is there anything better? I will take plenty of pics as you suggest as there are no videos for pics for Hyo filter cleans. Wish me luck will probably do it next weekend.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4