• July 17, 2018, 12:21:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2007 GV650 stuck in 3rd gear  (Read 322 times)

nathan8752

• Training Wheels
2007 GV650 stuck in 3rd gear
« on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »

My last ride on my GV650 this year was back in October, and on the way home it got stuck in 3rd gear, I think while downshifting on an off ramp coming off the highway.  I limped it home like that.   It's on my lift in the garage right now, still stuck in 3rd.  I do have a maintenance manual with some info in it, but I thought it would also be a good idea to pick any brains out there willing to be picked.  So if anyone has any thoughts on where to begin, what to check first, etc, please chime in. 

Thanks.

--Nate

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
Re: 2007 GV650 stuck in 3rd gear
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »

Could be poorly adjusted gear lever linkages but more likely that a gear selector fork has probably jammed.
Mostly caused by bad oil. Bad oil gets too thin when hot, eg, car oil and not designed for the high temp of bikes, or just old and past its change distance of  max 6,000km (4,000 miles).
If you find that when your engine is hot it is hard to find neutral and/or changes are clunky, that's a sure signal you are due for an oil change.
Sometimes the gear forks can be freed up by gently tapping the small pulley end of the drive shaft with a hammer.
See figures 19 and 20 of the parts catalogue.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »

My last ride on my GV650 this year was back in October, and on the way home it got stuck in 3rd gear, I think while downshifting on an off ramp coming off the highway.  I limped it home like that.   It's on my lift in the garage right now, still stuck in 3rd.  I do have a maintenance manual with some info in it, but I thought it would also be a good idea to pick any brains out there willing to be picked.  So if anyone has any thoughts on where to begin, what to check first, etc, please chime in. 

Thanks.

--Nate

So,

Did you have a look as advised? Any update?
It always helps others if threads are updated.
2011 GV650

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »

Thanks.

--Nate

So,

Did you have a look as advised? Any update?
It always helps others if threads are updated.
He has got his help and now he has run away .
His card is marked  ::)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: [1]