• June 24, 2018, 02:21:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smart Turn System  (Read 902 times)

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
Smart Turn System
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »

Going to fit an indicator unit .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:52:49 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Smart Turn System
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »

I for one would like to know how (and if) they work.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:55:09 AM »

Both units just arrived but I have to fly out to work this arvo .
I will get on to it when I get back .
Wiring seems pretty straight forward . The difficulty is finding a good place to mount both units .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:05:21 AM by spit051261 »

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

Right ...Brake module (gives you a flashing or constant brake light as you are changing down) which is basically an engine braking display module . Alerts boneheads on the road behind you that  you are slowing down.
WE mounted it in the rear "luggage space" . We used Velcro,silicon and zip ties . The wiring is easy . There is a 3 core plug from your tail light and you just need to splice into the RED for brake light , WHITE for +12V and black for GROUND. Make sure it's parallel with the ground. You'll see the plug just behind your brake light.
Smart Turn System is a bit trickier but not bad .
WE found it easier to break into the indicator switch through the headlamp and run a cable back to the "luggage space". I used their poxy connectors but they did the trick . Also had to use a stack of OUR own .WE used a 7 core cable  to go from headlight to "luggage space" (had it laying around) but you just need 6 cores .WE covered it with convoluted tubing for protection .
Cut the indicator wires , put your cable in between them and and connect it back at the module . You only need just over a meter.
In the headlight , you will see a 9 core connector and you have to cut 3 cores to put module in between (in and out to module). You will need to cut the light blue (feed to flasher) , a light green color cable (right side indicator) and a black(left side indicator) . They are in the top row together. See pics.
WE picked up the feed and ground off the same connector as the brake unit (the unit only takes 250mW) and WE are using LED indicators which take negligible current.
WE also drilled a couple of holes in the "luggage space" so WE could also cable tie them down to make them solid. You will also have to insert 2 foam washers into the indicator switch so it doesn't latch . When you take the 2 screws out to open it , you will see where they have to go . WE used long nose pliers and it's pretty straight forward . Drop the switch and you will see...as you operate it while it's open , each one pushes into either side...you'll see, it's easy.
This is the way WE did it but you may find a better place to put modules or better way to do it. A worthwhile mod that works and could save your life.....and OUR life too ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:56:26 PM by spit051261 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »

I think we would all like to see a picture of the inside of the switch block if you took any.

How's it go in practice? Does it work well?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:47:07 AM »

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »

Should you give you some idea of cable run and where to connect it....good luck and this could save you life .
i mounted the brake module on one side of the "space" under the pillion seat and the smart turn module on the other. I used Velcro and cable ties to fix them to the plastic sides .
The wires you have to cut in the head light connector are Lg (light green) RH ind. , Sb (light blue) LH ind. , B (black) feed . These connectors are in a 6 or 9 pin connector behind headlight .You can see connector in pic .
The brake module you will have to tap into the brake light  ( (Wb , white with black stripe if I remember correctly  :D ) under the pillion seat and then pick up an ignition feed and ground . I got my ignition feed from the tail light  and you can get the ground form a million different places  ;) .

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:13:52 PM by spit051261 »

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »

Has anybody had a go at this mod yet ?
It's pretty easy to do , especially after you can see what is involved and both these mods (smart turn and brake mod) could save your life .
I really think this is the best investment you can make for your bike and it's dead easy to remove and put back to standard when you come to change bikes.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »

Verdict .
After giving it a good run today , I can say that the system works.
The brake mod worked perfectly (my mate was behind monitoring the bike).
The smart turn system worked great .
There is one slight hitch and that is if you are overtaking and only do a small turn , just blipping past a car say  , it won't cancel the indicators straight away but will cancel after 15 seconds (set parameter) so no biggie there (I know I have left my indicators running for minutes before after realizing and cancelling them  :o) . If you do a slow overtaking maneuver and then accelerate , it will cancel .It is like it does not see the small turn to zip past a car but it will see you accelerate if you see what I mean . Roundabouts and all other turns worked fine . Any turn worked fine in fact  :).
Everything else about this system worked without a hitch . I can say I am more than happy with it and glad I fitted the system .
Anyway guys , big thumbs up from me and I honestly believe both systems could help stop something unfortunate from happening  :)
Edit ... Just had a thought , the only time it would not cancel ( it did cancel automatically after 15 seconds pr-set anyway  ) was when I was overtaking a car and practically stayed in the same lane so thinking about it , there was no this could be registered with only a few degrees of turn . Makes sense now .
You have a guide how to fit them , they are not that expensive so what do you have to lose ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:52:56 AM by spit051261 »

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 05:29:19 AM »

I am surprised nobody has fitted one of these yet  :o
It does not cost mega bucks and it's pretty easy to fit with a guide here for it .
What do you have to lose , except 99 Euros but it WILL work .

Pages: [1] 2