• January 19, 2018, 10:12:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pre - Emptive Strike......  (Read 693 times)

Sid

• Learner rider
Pre - Emptive Strike......
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »

So,
I'm not going to get my new bike on the road as such until March, as the weather here is now crap to say the least.

That gives me time to go over the bike and take precautionary action against known issues.

1. Replace the RR. Not 100% sure which route I'll take on this. Many recommend the mosfet kit from the USA, but I'm UK, so will get hammered on shipping charges and quite likely landed with 20% Vat when the parts hit customs, so will be pricey!
I've read somewhere that the RR from the Suzuki LS650 is a drop in fit - same cable plugs etc. Can anyone confirm this? In saying that, I'll almost certainly upgrade the cables to the battery along with a new / better earth strap.
I may leave the stator alone at this stage, as it appears it may be the dodgy RR's that contribute to stator failures. Hopefully in changing the RR, the stator will survive.

2. Upgrade the coils & plugs. Does anyone know of good replacement coils which are compatible?

3. Oil & filter change (obviously!)

Anyway - those are my starting points and I'll keep the thread updated.
Anything else I should be looking at on these? The bike has only done 3900 miles.
2011 GV650

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Pre - Emptive Strike......
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »

Thought I'd throw in a first reply, just to get things started - you'll get some more 'hands on' advice soon I'm sure....

I had 2010 GT650 EFI, and it was completely standard with no problems over the 12,000 miles I covered - so, and even although I didn't do any of these (!), I'd say the RR is definitely a worthwhile upgrade to avoid failure, as is the additional battery cable and maybe even a second earth strap, but whether doing the coils and plugs at this stage is really necessary I am not so sure.......someone will probably correct me shortly!!!

Sealing electrical connector plugs is probably another item to think about.

My side stand switch developed a fault - I bypassed it, but maybe worth checking/cleaning/sealing it?

Check brake calipers - these can gum up quickly and cause the disks to rub, particularly the rear, so keep clean, and maybe look at 'silver pill fix' on this forum which adds an extra return spring in the rear brake reservoir.  Another thing I never did!

Better brake pads too.

The only other problem I had was the connector coming off the back of the main fuse holder, but I think that was just my bad luck.

Otherwise, and I know there are many others who haven't been as lucky as me, my Hyo gave me 3 years faithful service without lots of replacements and upgrades......

Over to you upside-down!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:06:36 PM by AJC650 »

Sid

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »

Cheers AJ,

Good call on the brakes - not checked them yet and apparently the original pads can wear out pdq from what I've read.
Yep, I'll leave the coils. I suppose if they crap out I'll know fairly quickly and they're an easy fix. I may upgrade the plugs to iridium though, in case they've cheaped out on the oem's.
2011 GV650

fredrikrosen

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »

Why change the coils? The rectifier is first priority, if not a genuine Shindengen so buy a better copy Mosfet atleast, the old stock thpe are shit. Also check the cables from the rectifier to the battery and eventually put a extra + cable.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »

R/R upgrade is a wise move. So too are the wiring mods.

Coils should be replaced when and if it's needed. The design of coils changed in the more modern bikes. 2012+ bikes use a very different coil to older models.

Basic maintenance is always wise.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Sid

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »

Why change the coils? The rectifier is first priority, if not a genuine Shindengen so buy a better copy Mosfet atleast, the old stock thpe are shit. Also check the cables from the rectifier to the battery and eventually put a extra + cable.

Already decided to leave the coils at this time buddy and I'll upgrade the cables as a matter of course anyway.
I'm still looking around for suitable RR's, as I don't want to order from the US due to cost.
2011 GV650

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »

Hi Sid and Hello from a fellow UK Hyosung rider. I can recommend the RR from the USA. My original RR failed half way into a 150 mile ride leaving me stranded, I replaced it with a cheap generic, the stator then failed taking that RR with it! I replaced the stator with an original part and fitted the upgraded RR and wiring, it has been proven to be a "fit and forget" system. It also provides me with plenty of power for things like me heated grips which I suggest are a good addition for UK riding. I use my bike every day for work and when the weather is as cold as it is at the moment they are great.

Mine is an old 2006 model and I have put over 12,000 miles on it over the last couple of years.

For UK riding I would look at extending the front mudguard, all the grit on the road is blasted straight into the radiator from the front wheel. My radiator surround has been totally shot blasted down to the plastic by it and the metal cover has been cracked by bigger stones.

Happy riding once you get it on the road :)

Sid

• Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »

Thanks Funky.

Which RR did you get? The Shindengen or the one from Electrosport?
Did you get clobbered for vat when it arrived?
2011 GV650

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »

Most Yamaha liter bikes use a Sindengen r/r. R1, FZ1, MT09, etc. I don't lknow about the FJR's but it's a good chance. You would want the water proof connectors from the wiring loom also though, and most wreckers are hesitant about letting people cut things off the loom.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »

I used the kit from roadstercycle as detailed in Krainium's sticky. I don't remember about the tax as I was quite a while ago. I recall it being around a 150 all in including shipping. That seems a lot compared to a 20 eBay item but I needed the bike to be reliable and robust so I fitted what was considered to be the best available at the time. It also came with an additional wiring loom to pipe the electric direct to the battery bypassing the original sub standard wiring.

With respect to the tax sometimes my items get stopped by customs, sometimes not. It seems to be the luck of the draw or maybe how the shipping company fills out the shipping form.

Pages: [1] 2