• February 20, 2018, 02:46:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: My 2010 GT650R + Some Mods + Back Story  (Read 1582 times)

LX_SS

• Regular rider
My 2010 GT650R + Some Mods + Back Story
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:23:56 AM »

Hey Guys,

So I thought i'd share the story of my 2010 GT650R since its an interesting one.
Many years ago i rode when i didn't have my car license, My first bike was a Suzuki Across/GSX250F(god i miss that glove box), also rode a Gsx-r 600 when i shouldn't have. Any who about a year after riding that i got my car license and stopped riding on road. Got into dirt bikes and been riding them for ages.

I decided recently since i still got all my road gear that i will get another bike and get back into it. I looked around at what was available and came across the Hyosung GT650R. The biggest think i liked was the looks and the V-twin motor vs 4 cylinders/parallel motors.
In November 2017 i purchased a 2010 GT650R in white/black, everything at my end checked out and it was for a really cheap price with only minor scuffs. Got my rwc pretty easy the next week after replacing some minor parts and went down to Vic Roads and this is where my saga began.

As i was at Vic Roads before i even had the bike inspected i was informed that i needed to have a VIV on the bike, which kinda put me in a big pickle. I tried to contact the guy i brought the bike off to find a disconnected phone and no longer living at the address where i got the bike. So i went and spoke to a couple of VIV inspectors and pretty much came to the conclusion that i'm pretty screwed to get the VIV on that bike. The things that they can pick to knock is back is unbelievable to the point you'd pretty much never get a VIV done.

So fate put me on another search and i came across a 2013 GT650R frame with clear title and i jumped at it. Used my 2010 for all the donor parts and built the frame up.
Everything fitted quite well, also got to have a look at most the build quality of things and got to know every nut and bolt of the bike. Whilst building the bike i was disappointed when i found the stem bearings were not even packed properly. But other than that most of the rest of the bike was pretty good.
Using my freshly built 2013 frame, i went and got my rwc which passed with flying colors and got my rego done the next day. Was a big relief for me to have it all sorted and able to ride.

So this is the bike when i got it finished for rwc :

The bike when i purchased it came with a stock efi muffler which i still have and a cut down gutted muffler with no core or packing and straight through. So having heard what the straight muffler sounded like (which was mega tough but too loud) i decided i had nothing to loose doing that muffler up since it was basically scrap otherwise.
I removed the end caps of the muffler, made up a new core section, drilled it on the mill, welded it onto the exit end cap and wrapped it in muffler packing i got from my local bike shop. It turned out pretty nicely, not as loud as the straight muffler, but still very noticeable sounds great when its popping.
That was the first part to go on the bike.

The muffler :

After about a week of riding about, i wasn't happy with the gear linkages as mine had plenty of slop in the joints and the lever on the foot peg also had too much slack. So i got myself some grease-able spherical rod ends, machined up a new shaft and a much thicker washer (for the foot peg) in the lathe and that seemed most the sloppiness out of the shifter.

The Gear Linkage :

I rode the bike for a couple of weeks and noticed i had some issues when the bike was hot and i was idling at lights, a small misfire would occur and get worse to the point of stalling. So when i got home that day i had a look over the bike and noticed my stator to regulator connector had melted shorting out 2 of the stator coils and basically fried my charging system. So i did some research on here about it all, and decided to investigate the wiring loom some more. I was pretty disappointed in the main power feed and ground connections of the entire loom. They are such a thin wire for what they need to do. So after reading a fellow member upgraded his wiring in the loom i had inspiration to do it as well since i'm planning to keep this bike for a while. I used 25A wire for a main power and ground feed wire that runs from the rear to the front of the bike, i removed all the factory joins and the oem charge circuit. Using my parts bike, i added the terminals in the housing for the main 30a under the pillion seat so both fuses are being used, one for the main loom as oem and the other 30a fuse for the charge circuit. It makes it look nice and neat tho i'd still like to find somewhere to store spare fuses as i've lost the spare location now.

Stator + Wiring Mods :

As i've been upgrading the loom, i also ordered a Suzuki GS125/GN125 Neutral Switch to give me outputs for all gears and neutral. Whilst this does fit, what you are lacking is a in gear(1-6) wire for the ecu. So with a little fix i got individual 1-6+N wires and an additional wire that gives in gear. So that's all fitted now.

Gear Indicator + Switch :

The display is a unit from Aliexpress as it was the only one i could find that is simple and gives individual gear position wires. Some trick hacking and modifying of items i was about to mount it within the dash.

Other things i've recently done is replaced the clutch perch so it has a working switch instead of bypassed and also replaced the side stand switch with another unit and also added some wires with a switch under the pillion seat so if i ever have any trouble i can just bypass it easily.

I also replaced the rear brake caliper with the newer model one, i wasn't happy with how it felt previously and after trying a few different masters which made no difference to the feel, the new caliper option should hopefully be an improvement (single opposing pistons vs twin piston on one side).

The speedometer on my bike was out by 10%, i noticed when doing 110 on the highway, getting passed left and right that something was up. So i tested it against a gps speedo and found doing 100m/h was actually 90km/h, so i got myself a speedohealer unit and set it up for 8% correction, least it gives me a small gap if i'm sitting at say 100 i'm doing 98. Made a world of difference and was a direct plug in unit, extemely easy to setup.

I have got myself a spare set of fairings and tank, which im looking to do up for the bike, however im not too sure what colour or graphics i want to get done for it. Its a shame you cant get some of the Hyo graphics as some do look nice, but i'm possibly going to either go with a full red or full white and break it all up with some graphics. Tho this is an idea for the future, not sure when.

I had to replace the coolant bottle, i noticed this suffered from heat and had gone brittle since its directly above the rear cylinder exhaust. So i wrapped it with some heatshield material. I also made a new cap for it too.

Also got a new clutch on the way (EBC Kevlar), this one is showing its signs of age, original clutch im guessing too. I'll replace the clutch cable and such items at the same time as well as do an oil change.

Thats about it for the moment, i got other things i want to do such as a steering dampener and a few other minor things but when the time arises, for the moment i just want to ride and enjoy it.

Also to do a few things, i got a gt250r that i came across for the right price for some spare bits and pieces, i.e. fairings, levers, etc.... So i've got a GT250R motor 2011 EFI thats in good condition and runs well that i'm willing to part with.

This is the bikes most recent pics (without the new rear caliper).

I've also got a spare gear indicator display the same as i used in my cluster if anyone i wanting one, i could be persuaded to let it go.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:17:26 AM by LX_SS »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
Re: My 2010 GT650R + Some Mods + Back Story
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »

This is my sort of thread. Excellent work and write up. I might have to borrow that gear linkage idea  ;D.

My only addition would be the use of what looks like electricians tape to wrap the harness's back up. It tends to go gooey after a while and flake. It could be that you have used plastic harness wrap (without the glue) in which case thats good but you might be interested in something like cloth harness wrap over the top (nicer to look at). I can see your use of shrink wrap on the connectors *thumbs up*.

Any reason you didnt put the rear grab rails back on?

Great stuff and nice to read. Keep us up to date on the progress.

spit051261

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »

WE would be very interested in the gear display you have .
A write up on that would be excellent  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:53:12 PM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650EFI  in black.
2010  GT650R     in red

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »

Bravo LX_SS!

Some amazing work here. Love the dash. Love the linkage. Excellent wiring.

Agree with Joss. My kind of thread!
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Christo7

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »

Awesome job and write up.

Also would love to see a step by step on the gear display and wiring.

Again, great work!! :)
2013 GT650 Naked

LX_SS

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »

Joss,
The rear grab rails i don't have on either my bike or my parts bike so that's the reason they are not fitted and also i will never have a passenger on it.

A few people are asking for a write up which i will do and either post it in here or in another thread. I've got some pictures of doing it but not all documenting it. As when you get started its kinda hard to just stop and take pics, you kinda just get in the zone.

Cheers all for the kinds words too  :)

spit051261

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »

Excellent thread  :) :) :)
One of the best I have seen .
BTW the best tape to use is rubber self amalgam tape . WE use it all the time , it is practically heat shrink in tape form. Very good stuff . WE find it does the job .
http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/EMD_APAC_CI/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/~/Scotch-Rubber-Splicing-Tape-23-19-mm-x-9-15-m-Black?N=5428952+4294852156&rt=d
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:42:02 PM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R     in red

LX_SS

• Regular rider
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:39 AM »

I added pics of the new rear brake caliper.
It is so much nicer and quieter than the old 2 piston unit (that i found rattled a little when not in use).

The tape i used was 3m hi temp stuff, i also go the plastic insulators in the harness too and when i get the chance will probably add some plastic outer sheath as well.

spit051261

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »

Excellent job  :)
Where did you put all the soldered connections for the diodes ? I imagine they would have taken up a bit of space if they were behind the display or was there enough room ?
Wonder if you could get an IC to do the same thing ?
When I was an apprentice , we used to use blank circuit boards and acid etch our conductor lines then mount and solder our components on the board . Could save space .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:25:09 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R     in red

LX_SS

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »

The diodes are on the neutral switch side of the plug, as this goes into the plug as a single in gear wire. The display diodes are on the loom on the other side of this connector.
They are small 1A diodes so just run inside the heatshrink.

You could probably get an IC to do it but i got plenty of these diodes on hand and like to keep it simple, think it would be more hassle trying to mount an IC.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11