• December 12, 2018, 08:09:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Returning to Motorcycling after 10 Years  (Read 830 times)

madaz75

• Training Wheels
Returning to Motorcycling after 10 Years
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »

G'day all, Just another Lost Australian here.

As the header bar proclaims. I've been away from motorcycling for far far too long, IMO. Funny how life gets away from you in that regard. A job transfer to a new city with some fantastic motorcycling roads nearby has certainly fueled my keen desire to return to two wheels. So I've been looking at various bikes as an entry point back into the lifestyle.

There's a number of different used bike options I'm considering as a Re-entry point, and a Hyosung GT650r is sitting pretty favourably in that list.
The others being a Kawasaki Ninja 650, Suzuki SV650, Honda CBR 500, CFmoto 650nk. Yeah, sort of a pattern forming here. 2 Cylinder, Sport Touring, Mid-Size Displacement. I previously owned a Kawasaki GPZ500s (AKA EX500), so I make no apologies for wishing to stick to a formula I loved before.

My reasoning for Used is:
1. I can not justify buying a New bike as a returning point
2. I'm probably going to have an 'Old Man Moment' in a parking lot at some stage pretty early on in my return to motorcycling (The thought of what the missus would say when I scratch up a Used bike is bad enough, But busting up a New bike from an 'Oops' is a nightmare I do not want to imagine)
3. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, and not afraid to get my hands dirty in fixing most issues.

Thanks for the opportunity to join in. I hope to learn a considerable amount about Hyosung bikes as I weigh up my options.
Especially interested in knowing of any potential issues that may arise on a bike with 15,000km (9300 mile) to 20,000km (12,400 Mile) under the wheels, or any specific signs to look for that would indicate a lack of maintenance.

Cheers.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Returning to Motorcycling after 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »

Welcome aboard mate.
The GT650R is a nice bike for the money.

There is a section on here specifically for those.
Have a gander through and ask any questions you like..
2011 GV650

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »

G'day madaz,

From Sydney myself, so yeah, lost Aussies are not so uncommon on this forum.

Straight to the issues bit.

Electricals. Specifically the reg/rec. If it's stock, it's broken. The premium after market fix for it is $250 delivered from the states and you will need to do a bit of work to fit it. An hour if you're handy, two if you're not.

Other than that, they're solid.

Expect the battery to be rooted as a result of the poor reg/rec also.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »

I had a GPZ500 for a short while - you'll find all the 650's a lot faster.  The Suzuki SV doesn't have the possible electrical problems of the Hyo, and having had both, I think it is a little faster.

CFMoto engine is a copy of the old Kawasaki twin, haven't heard much about them yet though, quite new to the market - you should get one for a very keen price, maybe even new??

The new Honda 500 twins are very good......I'm now on a CB500X, sorry Hyo chums, I wanted an adventure bike!!

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »

Welcome madaz,

I do not need to reiterate the sound advice you have already been given, other than to say, if the Hyosung is a lot cheaper than the CBR, go for that. If it's not, CBR it is. Factor in the reg/rec cost  + service (unless you can guarantee its been done).

If you do go the Hyosung route, you have some good friends around to help you along the journey.

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

Judging from what your post said, i'm going to hazard a guess that since you listed touring the best bet in that comfort wise would probably be the sv650 out of those bikes. Don't get me wrong here i adore my GT650R but i can understand some certainly don't like the riding position on it as its more aggressive.

Your best bet is to go take a couple for a test ride and tell us what you think

linuxyeti

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

Hi

Well, I have feet in 2 camps !! I have an ST7, love the bike, but I've only put a couple of thousand miles on it so far, no issues though, and I have the CF650TR (same engine, frame etc as the 650NK), I have absolutely no complaints of the CF, nearly 10000 miles on the clock, never had an issue, even still on original tyres & chain. If it's touring you're considering, then TR, or even the TR-G if available in Australia, may be worth looking at, or even the CF650MT (Versys lookalike)

madaz75

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and the replies everyone.

The Touring I'm looking at doing is little more than strap a bag down on the back and disappear for a weekend of Twisty Roads away from Town kind of deal. Nothing too serious... Yet. I do have a Bucket List Item that needs to be ticked off. Where I Buy/Rent some Adventure Touring Bikes, Start in San Diego, CA and follow the 101/PCH (Which ever is closest to the coast) north to Seattle, WA with a couple friends over a week or 2 one Northern Summer. But that's a story for another time.
Though comfort in the saddle for 2 to 3 even 4 hours is high on the list of considerations. Which would instantly excludes Super Sport bikes from my pool of potential rides.

As suggested, Test Rides, yep most definitely. That's next on my path of research. After initially looking through the field, and weeding out the Undesireables, Unreliables, and Unaffordables.
Which brings me to the talk of the 'Lucas-Like' electrics of the Hyosung. While it does seem to be a black mark on the reliability stakes. It's a known issue, and one that has a proven long term solution. I would hate to buy a bike, only to find out it has major design/quality control faults (IE: '83/'84 Honda VF750 Camshafts or Yamaha SRX250 Plastic Oil Pump Drive gear).

Again thanks for the welcome.
I'll be lurking around and studying all I can about the GT650 (Along with any other bike that make my short list)

Cheers.

Andrew Lynn

• Training Wheels
  • Resurgence Gear
    • Resurgence Gear Australasia
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »

Welcome again to the motorcycle-riding world :)
For used motorcycles, there is a section here dedicated to that.

"The skin looks good left on our body than left on the road!!"

Pages: [1]