• September 21, 2018, 12:55:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: changing clutch and alternator cover  (Read 294 times)

bobe7316

• Learner rider
changing clutch and alternator cover
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »

Hi all,
I have just bought a 2010 Hyosung GV250EI Aquila motorcycle. It only has 7,720 Km's on it so has not done a lot of work. The motorcycle runs well and I am happy with it's performance. I am 65 years old and it is just the right weight for me to handle. One problem is that there is a lot of chrome lifting off the clutch cover and the alternator rotor cover. I am buying 2 new covers for it and I am wondering if I have to take the engine out of the frame to change these covers or can this be done with the engine in the frame. I have a manual that I downloaded from the net but it does not tell me this piece if information. The clutch cover seems to run close to the bottom frame tube and I thought that it may not come off without taking the engine out of the frame. Hoping that you can help me.
From old Bob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:19:06 PM by bobe7316 »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

cruiser13

• Learner rider
Re: CHANGING CLUTCH and ALTERNATOR COVER
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »

Hi all,
I have just bought a 2010 Hyosung GV250EI Aquila motorcycle. It only has 7,720 Km's on it so has not done a lot of work. The motorcycle runs well and I am happy with it's performance. I am 65 years old and it is just the right weight for me to handle. One problem is that there is a lot of chrome lifting off the clutch cover and the alternator rotor cover. I am buying 2 new covers for it and I am wondering if I have to take the engine out of the frame to change these covers or can this be done with the engine in the frame. I have a manual that I downloaded from the net but it does not tell me this piece if information. The clutch cover seems to run close to the bottom frame tube and I thought that it may not come off without taking the engine out of the frame. Hoping that you can help me.
From old Bob
Hi there.
Im not sure about the gv250 but I don't need to take the engine out of the frame on my ST7 to take either covers off.Granted that its quite close to the frame on the lower side but the bolt is easily accessible using a box spanner.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bobe7316

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I have been getting rid of surface rust today and it has turned into a big job. Even the chrome that has been applied to plastic has rust pits all along it. I polish them out with auto-sol and then I am waxing them with auto wax hoping to keep the air out to slow the rust pits from forming. Something in the chrome is causing these pits to form. I have been able to have a close look at the clutch cover and the alternator cover and they will come off with out taking the engine out of the frame. These motorcycles appear to be fairly well made and if they just made it a little bit more rust proof and put a better black paint on the engine then it would be a much better motorcycle. My last motorcycle was a Royal Enfield 350 and this 250 Aquila is streets ahead of that. This is the same weight as the Royal Enfield but the Royal Enfield could only go along at 50-55 MPH where as with this Aquila I can go at 65 MPH easily and I am not holding the traffic up any more. 65 MPH is the top speed limit where I live and so I am a happy old chappie now.
Bob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:19:28 PM by bobe7316 »

cruiser13

• Learner rider
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I have been getting rid of surface rust today and it has turned into a big job. Even the chrome that has been applied to plastic has rust pits all along it. I polish them out with auto-sol and then I am waxing them with auto wax hoping to keep the air out to slow the rust pits from forming. Something in the chrome is causing these pits to form. I have been able to have a close look at the clutch cover and the alternator cover and they will come off with out taking the engine out of the frame. These motorcycles appear to be fairly well made and if they just made it a little bit more rust proof and put a better black paint on the engine then it would be a much better motorcycle. My last motorcycle was a Royal Enfield 350 and this 250 Aquila is streets ahead of that. This is the same weight as the Royal Enfield but the Royal Enfield could only go along at 50-55 MPH where as with this Aquila I can go at 65 MPH easily and I am not holding the traffic up any more. 65 MPH is the top speed limit where I live and so I am a happy old chappie now.
Bob
Yes, after 5 yrs, rust on the frame is indeed a problem.The last time I was home, I bought rustoleum paint off amazon.Got all the rust off the frame.most of it was at the welding seams.then gave it a few coats of rustoleum grey and then covered that with black.

bobe7316

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »

Yes rust and flaking chrome from the alloy covers. I will use this motorcycle for now but if the rust comes back I will sell it next summer and buy a Honda. I do not like the under bucket shims on this engine as they are hard to get to if they need to be adjusted, but on the other hand they stay in adjustment for a long while once they are done. The Honda still has adjustable tappets which are an easy adjustment. The main thing that I can not stand is a crummy looking motorcycle. I live in Australia where the climate is very good and usually once a motorcycle is clean it should stay that way for 6 months at least before the next clean. We never have ice or snow to worry about but this Hyosung may start to look bad just from getting caught in the odd rain shower. Any way I will soon know and it really is a very good motorcycle to ride around on. Thank you for your messages back to me.
Bob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:19:50 PM by bobe7316 »

cruiser13

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »

Yes rust and flaking chrome from the alloy covers. I will use this motorcycle for now but if the rust comes back I will sell it next summer and buy a Honda. I do not like the under bucket shims on this engine as they are hard to get to if they need to be adjusted, but on the other hand they stay in adjustment for a long while once they are done. The Honda still has adjustable tappets which are an easy adjustment. The main thing that I can not stand is a crummy looking motorcycle. I live in Australia where the climate is very good and usually once a motorcycle is clean it should stay that way for 6 months at least before the next clean. We never have ice or snow to worry about but this Hyosung may start to look bad just from getting caught in the odd rain shower. Any way I will soon know and it really is a very good motorcycle to ride around on. Thank you for your messages back to me.
Bob
Over here in India, I live 100 mtrs from the Sea so fighting off rust is a way of life..Also the bike lying dormant in my parking for 8 weeks at a time without so much as a dusting does not help either...
So washing and chrome polishing is the order of the day every time I get back home from sailing..I do manage to get it shining with a bit of elbow grease..Still looks like a hot babe...Don't be in a hurry to give up on her..

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »

Weather that allows a motorcycle to stay clean for 6 months - what a dream, here in Scotland even summer riding usually means cleaning after every trip!!

Pages: [1]