• August 20, 2018, 07:51:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FI Lights comes on and bike cuts out  (Read 457 times)

AquilaRider

• Training Wheels
FI Lights comes on and bike cuts out
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »

Hey guys so i just recently purchased a 2011 GV250, only done 13,000. Recently while waiting in traffic ive noticed the revs slowly dip below 2000 RPM and then cut out. I then began to keep revving the engine above 2000 RPM to keep it going. When this happens the FI light comes on just before the bike cuts out. If i dont turn the ignition off and on the FI light will stay. I then have to turn the bike off and on, wait for the fi light to go off and then it will start up fine again fine for a while until stick in more traffic. If i try riding with the fi light on hardly any power goes to the bike and it only crawls. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
Re: FI Lights comes on and bike cuts out
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »

This is a common occurrence and may have many reasons
Start with the easiest to fix .
Check your battery voltage and make sure you are at 13 volts
Next check the connector for the voltage rectifier regullator and make sure it is ok and no wires have become "depinned" next check the connection from the "control signal" that comes from the device near the stator and sends a signal to the computer  this basically supplies info to the computer that the motor is spinning. Both of these are located under the rider seat and you can follow the wire from the ststor on the left hand side of the engine. Sometimes the signal connector makes a bad connection and causes intermittent madness. Sometimes the regular / text connector is cooked. Sometimes the stator has failed. Sometimes the reg rectifier has failed. Look for easiest fix first. In addition. Sometimes an ignition coil is failing. They are located under the chrome plastic cover on the left side. Next make sure the spark plug wires are working correctly and have good connection. Do these things in the order that is cheapest and requires the least amount of parts
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »

I'd find out what the FI light is warning of. Enter diagnostic mode and look for the error code.

The workshop manual is sure to be helpful.

It sounds to me like your bike is running on one cylinder. Ignition coil issue maybe?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »

Losing RPM and power usually means only one thing.
When the engine dies, pull over and stop and immediately look into the exhaust cannon.
Is it glowing red hot?
If yes then you are running on only one cylinder and the excess fuel is burning in the exhaust.
This is usually caused by either a loose HT connection (spark plug or coil end) or a faulty coil.
Do you have an InfraRed Thermometer? Check for one exhaust being much hotter than the other.
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »

Check your battery voltage and make sure you are at 13 volts

You actually should be looking at 13.7 up to 14 volts . Any lower and I would be checking connections/stator/regulator .
13 volts is too low . It may be just enough for a brand new battery but ....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:50:05 PM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: [1]