• July 17, 2018, 12:25:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HOT regulator rectifier.  (Read 255 times)

Rjbez

• Training Wheels
HOT regulator rectifier.
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:44:26 AM »

Hey everyone, I have a 2013 gt650 RC-L

As I was cleaning the chain this arvo I noticed some smoke coming from the regulator rectifier plug connector and it was to hot to touch as well as the rectifier itself. There is evidence of burning and heat on the internal of the plug. I did find a worn cable form the hottest leg of th rectifier, is there a reason why this would be getting hot? Ive tested the diodes and they are all still operational. Or it the heat just Normal for them? 

Cheers
Growing up..
 just means being able to afford bigger toys !

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: HOT regulator rectifier.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »

Hello RJ,

The reg/rec is famously poor quality. So too is the wiring between the reg/rec and the battery.

Try upgrading the wiring, by adding a second pair of wires between the output of the reg/rec directly to the battery. Put a fuse on the positive wire. Use 12 gauge wire (4mm square). 
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »

There is more involved than just diodes in a regulator circuit .
You could have fried transistors or any number of components .
Re wiring is a good idea but I would be looking at replacing it .
BTW it shouldn't get that hot where it starts melting insulation .
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »

Tbh, I don't think it's the quality of the RR that's to blame sometimes. It's more likely the plug connectors. If you get corrosion on the triple pole plug from the stator, that will just cause extra strain on the stator. If you get a slight short between any of the two it can / will take out the stator.

Likewise with the twin connector that goes from the RR to the battery. Corrosion there will cause more strain on the RR, a possible short etc.

The best initial thing to check on these is the connectors. Clean off any sign of corrosion and coat with dielectric grease. Or, if the plugs look burnt / bad - just cut them out and connect direct.
Yes, the cabling they use is just about adequate, but probably not the cause per se.
It's a good idea to fit a mosfet RR anyway, as they are more reliable and run cooler than the standard affair.
2011 GV650

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »

There is no difference between the temperature of my mosfet reg/rec and the fairing beside it. Both are basically atmospheric temperature.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Mastodon

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »

hi, i literally came here because the wire plug coming from the stator on my bike burnt off a wire because of poor connection or quality of connector itself, we eliminated the connector and straight connected it with connecting blocks

Rjbez

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 01:55:17 AM »

Cheers for the feedback guys ! Much appreciated, I will look into the circuit a bit more and monitor the condition now that Ive repaired the worn part.
Growing up..
 just means being able to afford bigger toys !

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »

There is no difference between the temperature of my mosfet reg/rec and the fairing beside it. Both are basically atmospheric temperature.

Depends on the load at the time as well. However, mosfets do indeed run cooler in general than the standard item due to the way they switch. They also cause less strain to the stator, which in turn runs cooler as well.
2011 GV650

lewis

• Learner rider
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »

I'm taking a gamble and trying a $20 regulator from China.  Fingers crossed  ::) on this , I  hope I've found a cheap fix tho I will admit I'm not expecting much-- you gotta try these things just to see the outcome.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »

Hopefully it doesn't melt your stator or worse
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: [1]