• July 19, 2018, 02:35:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: a good ride today ,but and there always is a "but"  (Read 179 times)

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
a good ride today ,but and there always is a "but"
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »

Had a good ride today up at Toodyay and the weather was very nice but....
After a few hours after riding , the thing just cut out and once happened when I was doing about 155 and it was safe , good road and no traffic . I had to drop a gear and bump started it to get it going which was scary at that speed but there go , what can you do and fook pulling over  :o
It happened a few times after at much slower speeds and did the same thing to get it going .
I am thinking side stand switch but will have a look when it cools down .
Anybody had the same or you got any ideas ?
Here is a pic of my bike and a buddy and his Harley out at Toodyay today and it was beautiful . Bit hard keeping up with his Harley mind  ;D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:40:12 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: a good ride today ,but and there always is a "but"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

I reckon you're right. Sounds like the SSS.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »

Yea and all I had today was a leather-man so thought just carry on riding , get it home after and have a look then .
I will take the cover off and short it out .
It's not a good thing to have in my opinion when it can cut your bike out if the switch goes open .
Worst that will happen with it shorted out is you'll drag your side stand on the ground , realize , think what a Numpty and put it up .
The way it happened today , cutting my engine could have been very dangerous  :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:36:57 AM by spit051261 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »

Both are dangerous.

A side stand can pole vault you.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »

Yea and all I had today was a leather-man so thought just carry on riding , get it home after and have a look then .
I will take the cover off and short it out .
It's not a good thing to have in my opinion when it can cut your bike out if the switch goes open .
Worst that will happen with it shorted out is you'll drag your side stand on the ground , realize , think what a Numpty and put it up .
The way it happened today , cutting my engine could have been very dangerous  :o

This is why i have my bike setup with the stock switch and in the tail i have another switch i can flip to bypass the stand if i suspect its an issue in starting the bike, its not something thats to be used all the time, just to get me out of trouble if the side stand is stopping my bike starting.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »

Both are dangerous.

A side stand can pole vault you.
Side stand will normally be pushed back though .
I can understand if they incorporated electronics to tell the system you were not moving but to have it operate when you do X (fast) amount of speed is crazy .
I'll be shorting it out so end of story .

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 05:29:47 PM »

I've had this twice - first time it was the sidestand switch, which I eventually bypassed and left that way until I sold it.  I never had a switch on my many older bikes, so wasn't too worried about riding off with the stand down.  I did tell the dealer when I traded it in though!

The second time the connection at the back of the main fuse came away, which was a puzzle because the fuse looked fine - but that was a permanent power cut, and the bike had to be recovered and taken to the dealer!

Unfortunately having to get the bike recovered, and a few times standing by the road, scratching my head at a dead bike, means this was always on my mind when I was on a long rideout...... :-\

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »

I've had this twice - first time it was the sidestand switch, which I eventually bypassed and left that way until I sold it.  I never had a switch on my many older bikes, so wasn't too worried about riding off with the stand down.  I did tell the dealer when I traded it in though!

The second time the connection at the back of the main fuse came away, which was a puzzle because the fuse looked fine - but that was a permanent power cut, and the bike had to be recovered and taken to the dealer!

Unfortunately having to get the bike recovered, and a few times standing by the road, scratching my head at a dead bike, means this was always on my mind when I was on a long rideout...... :-\
I know what you mean .
I just can't take a chance on it happening again .
Imagine you are overtaking and you have to get past quick and then pull in to avoid oncoming traffic and it happens . Not good .
Just had a look at it and what a cheap and nasty set up for such an important safety switch . I firmly believe I would be better off without it .
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:21:25 AM by spit051261 »

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:50:57 AM »

what year are you frames ?

i think i read that 2013+ had the side stand switch mount modified from previous versions to prevent this happening.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:04:35 AM »

My bikes are 2010 so that explains it .
If your spring loses tension , the stand could "bounce" after hitting a bump and come away from the switch which would cut your engine  :o
See below in "bikes" I own  ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:08:34 AM by spit051261 »

Pages: [1]