• October 21, 2018, 11:13:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cold start idle miss/clunk.  (Read 1487 times)

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Cold start idle miss/clunk.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »

Well **** me if mines not making the same noise now!
Maybe I've not noticed it before, but when it was fully up to temp today it sounds exactly like CR's, clutch engaged or not. Doesn't make the sound when cold though. I'm now dubious about taking it for a hoon tmrw.. >:(
Can a duff / weak coil really make these have a knocking sound? Coil (s) can't be completely duff as its deffo firing on both cylinders.
2011 GV650

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »

I dunno. Honestly, I wouldn't think that a coil would cause clunking.

Is it in time with the beat of the engine (as in clutch basket assembly, or water pump, etc), or is it half the speed? (i.e. cam/timing chain).

Are you sure it's not something external to the engine, as in a header knocking against the rear suspension (if the noise isolates to the rear of the engine), or a loose radiator (if it's rom the front)?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »

The only reason why i mentioned the coils is when mine had an idle misfire, at the exact point of the miss i could hear and feel that exact knock you guys are talking about however it wasn't as pronounced or severe.
Now i only got this knock once things were fully hot (thermo kicking in), since i've changed the coil pack i haven't had the issue reoccur.

I don't see why it would be viable in a cold engine, but coils + plug check certainly wouldn't go astray.
I do see this a bit more viable in sid's issue tho.

When that occurred for me also, i noticed since i had the AIS removed, i was still getting a lot of popping through the exhaust, now it pops less with the better coil.

Coils are a cheap part that is always handy to have around. In fact the actual coil's im using right now are GT250R items that have double insulated plug caps vs the GT650R single insulated ones.

CR

• Learner rider
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 10:58:46 PM »

I've known faulty coils to play up when hot. Mine runs sweet when hot. Flawless. Thats why I've been looking everywhere else first.

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »

Well I've just come back from a short 10 mile jaunt, without hammering it even slightly - just a gentle ride. And....the noise is now not there on idle?? - how odd? Mind you, this had been garaged since October, just being started now and then to keep lube around the engine and the battery charged.
Only thing was, at the very end of the journey as I slowed to turn right into our property, the F1 light came on. It was only on for a second or two and then went out. Didn't come back on when I was messing around on the drive and getting it back in the garage.

Anyway, how are you getting on Chris - any more news / tests?
2011 GV650

CR

• Learner rider
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »

Considering emailing dynatek with my coil measurements to see what they have to offer. 2012 delphi. Been meaning to do it for ages.
Only thing that really gave me grief on this bike was the fuel pump got that white chalky build up and wouldn't pump but a trickle. Sorted that with a vinegar bath but wondering if it could be somehow related. Seems to pump ok at prime up. Is there a low fuel pressure cut off on this bike?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »

Not unless it’s internal to the pump. There’s definitely no external sensor. You would think that it would throw an FI light if it sensed something was off.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

CR

• Learner rider
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »

No fi  light and no error stored as of Sunday morning.
Still think its something ignition related seeing as how its gone from a slight miss at random intervals to a slightly bigger miss accompanied by the clunk. The same random pattern. Possibly enough to release and pick up the slack in the timing chains?

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »

If you can get your hands on a 03-05 i think it is SV650 coil(not the dual spark ones) that you know works they work great.
With mine the miss got progressively worse to the point it actually caused the motor to stall.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:30 AM »

Nah, the SV coils won't work on Delphi bikes. They're the wrong resistance.

CR, any chance you could measure your resistance on the primary winding? I am expecting the value to be between 0.5 and 0.7 ohms. Definitely under 1 ohm though.

The Dynatek DC9-4 is 0.7 ohm, single output.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6