• September 25, 2018, 02:24:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sports Vs Cruiser.......!!  (Read 1200 times)

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Sports Vs Cruiser.......!!
« on: May 05, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »

Well,

As some of you know I bought the GV650 around Jan, and had no intention of getting on the road until around now, as the weather is better.
I've always had sports bikes until this and (to me) the difference is chalk & cheese.
I've not taken it out on the public roads yet, just a quick (slow) up & down on a private road to the rear of our house.
First I noticed the weight and I struggled with the riding position. To me, it just makes the bike feel even heavier than it is. Quite frankly I was crapping myself when I did (a very slow with my feet down) u-turn.... ;D
I really was surprised just how different this feels. I could jump on a sports bike tmrw and hoon up the road with confidence - I feel very uneasy on this though.
Has anyone else felt the same when making the transition?
2011 GV650

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Sports Vs Cruiser.......!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »

As I am fond of saying, I have never ridden a cruiser. ..I've never had herpes either.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »

A few years back I went from a traditional naked bike to a 'lying over the tank' sports bike (SV650S) and hated it from the minute I picked it up.  Only lasted 6 months and swapped it for my Hyosung GT650!

Funny what you get used to.

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »

Its more personal preference i think.

I ride a GT650R most of the time. I find it fine to go fora quick ride, in town etc...

But i recently picked up a GT550 and XV1100 Cruiser, Whilst the GT550 is more a sports touring, the XV is a proper cruiser and i honestly find that way more comfortable than my GT650R. The XV weights in at 240kg so a touch heavier than the GT650R but i find the GT weight more balanced front to rear but a much taller bike. With the XV being a lot lower.

I actually find low speeds lots easier on the cruiser and balance better. No issues with U turns or anything. I can ride around at idle no hand on the throttle with just manipulating the clutch.

I dont mind either but i'm more of a fan of the XV, apart from the having to fix its seat cause when you give it a bit of gas, that torque on the 1100 wants to send you off the rear(you slide on the seat).

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »

Going from a naked to a gtr I find the gtr more precise if you know what I mean.
I seem to have more control over it. Seems like you and the bike are one.
Just my opinion  :)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »

Going from a naked to a gtr I find the gtr more precise if you know what I mean.
I seem to have more control over it. Seems like you and the bike are one.
Just my opinion  :)

I aree. I feel kinda remote from this in a way. Not so much due to the bars, just can't get used to my legs being stretched forwards. Feels really unnatural and kinda iffy, like I have less control.
2011 GV650

beachpitcrew

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »

I think it has something to do with ability.
I rode  sport bikes when I was younger but my feet just
Don't go in that direction any longer. Ha ha
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:09:04 AM by beachpitcrew »
2011 GV250, 2013 IRON 883

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »

Never fancied a "Harley" type bike but each to their own .
My friends have them and they seem fine on them .
I think it's just a case of getting used to it . Almost like learning to drive again .
I imagine it will be OK but you will have to give it time and have lots of practice .
You'll be fine  ;)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »

Just came back from a very quick jaunt - only around 5 miles each way to get a feel for it.
Normal riding is actually fine, although I was constantly aware of the lack of lean angle, but I found maneuvering around tight turns I was bricking it... ;D
You really feel the weight going slow, and it feels much more cumbersome than a sports. I really had to think about what I was doing.
I'll give it a few more rides to see if I get used to it, but if not I'll chop it in for a sports I think.
2011 GV650

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »

If you weren't too far away and decided the cruiser wasn't your thing i'd swap you for my GT650R.
The lean angle is definitely different to a sports.

I think if you persist with it, you will quite enjoy the relaxed type of riding it offers over a sports.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4