• November 20, 2018, 12:51:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery charging issue 2011 gv650 aquila classic  (Read 689 times)

Jim77

• Training Wheels
Battery charging issue 2011 gv650 aquila classic
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:11:40 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the motorcycle world but I do love it!!
I have a 2011 Gv650 classic that seems to be losing battery charge, it's fine after a few hours on a trickle charger for a couple of days but then I need to charge it again or it wont start!
I have no idea about how to check or what to check, any ideas would be great, thanks in advance!!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Christianleon266

• Crown Service Technician. 80's bike enthusiast.
  • Regular rider
Re: Battery charging issue 2011 gv650 aquila classic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Hello Jim.
Your Regulator/Rectifier , stator, or wiring in between has kicked the bucket. Google is your friend when searching for the location of these Items and what they look like. Essentially, Your stator generates AC power, your Regulator/ Rectifier ... well, rectifies AC to DC and then regulates that DC to around 12 - 14 volts. You will need a multimeter, basic electronic skills and know-how. If you have neither of those things you'll be wasting your time, and potentially damaging your bike if you prod the wrong things with the wrong settings.

That being said, generally speaking you check your stator by disconnecting the 3 yellow wire plug leaving the left side cover, running the bike and checking the voltage in between each yellow wire leading to the cover while reving a bit. The voltage should rise from ~30v AC to ~100v AC ( You DID set your multimeter to AC, right?) and not significantly differ between the 3 wires. If one wire shows differing AC voltage then the rest, you have a bad stator or a bad wire leading to the stator.

You test your REG/REC By checking DC volts on the battery positive and negative, with everything left connected. You should see 12 -14v DC on your batt. terminals, with that number increasing closer to 14v DC the higher you rev it. If you 12v or less no matter what the RPM, AND you have verified you have voltage at your stator, then I would replace the REG/REC.

Sadly, replacing parts with the same brand (Hyosung or china) will only hold you off for a few years at best. The charging circuit on these bikes is garbage, and prone to failures on all associated parts. Mainly the Regulator/ Rectifier but when they fail they occasionally take the stator with them and fry any wires in between. The only permanent fix is to modify an aftermarket or OEM REG/REC from another bike, replacing as much of the under-gauged wire in the process as possible in said circuit. I used a 94 ZX600 Reg/Rec which happened to be pretty much plug and play with my 07 GT250R. Your experiences will differ.
2007 Kawasaki KX250F
1984 Yamaha Virago
1982 Honda V45 Sabre
1996 Kawasaki ZX6R
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna (Favorite)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750E
2005 Suzuki M50
1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2007 Hyosung GT250R
1991 Honda ST1100 (current)

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »

As above.....

I fitted one of these to mine which is a mosfet - much more reliable than the oem part, or even non mosfet rr's.
I can confirm it's a direct fit except the plug which supplies the battery, the 3 phase one from the rr is fine. I just cut the other one out and connected direct.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=rr85&PN=RR85%2ehtml#SID=439
2011 GV650

Jim77

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »

Hi guys, thanks so much for your info and feedback, i have had a bit of a look at the stator plug end with the multi meter but time got on top of me, will spend more time on it on the weekend, thanks again for your detailed responses Christian and Sid!!!

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »

Hi guys, thanks so much for your info and feedback, i have had a bit of a look at the stator plug end with the multi meter but time got on top of me, will spend more time on it on the weekend, thanks again for your detailed responses Christian and Sid!!!

No prob buddy,

Get back to us if you're unsure of anything.......... ;)
2011 GV650

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »

Late to the party, but yeah, Christian's post has all the info you need.

1. Test the stator.

2. If the stator passes, then that isn not your problem. Test the reg/rec by testing the voltage at the battery when the bike is idling. The number you are looking for is at or above 13.5V. If that passes, then test at 5,000 rpm. It doesn't matter that much what the number is, as long as it is higher than at idle.

If your stator fails, it will problably mean BOTH the stator and the reg/rec are dead, as a failed stator will destroy the already fragile reg/rec.

When choosing replacement parts, avoid stock. They're a waste of your time.

Which parts you choose matters less than the wiring upgrades. The wiring upgrades are very important.

As to recommended parts, the reg/rec I use and recommend is the Shindengen FH020AA. Found as an OEM part on all Yamaha litre bikes. FZ1, R1 & MT10, maybe the smaller MTs as well, don't know. You can also buy a brand new one in a kit from http://roadstercycle.com

As to the stator, Electrosport make a good one. The model is the ESG112.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Jim77

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »

Hi umop!!! Thanks for your feedback too! Its great to know there are people out there that took the time to respond, hopefully all will be rectified (pardon the pun) shortly, ill let you all know how I get on, thanks again!!👍👍👍

Pages: [1]