• June 19, 2018, 09:27:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Odd Issue  (Read 123 times)

Karl07

• Training Wheels
Odd Issue
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:18:03 AM »

Hi all,

Just had a weird electrical problem which I thought I would ask about...I'm not the best with the electrical side of cars/bikes/anything.

I have a 06 Gt250R, it has LED indicators.

Everything was working perfectly, then the bike was left in the garage for a few weeks while we had our constant rain.
 When I got back on it, I found the following symptoms:
 - LCD screen not working. The light on the tachometer is working and the tachometer is 100%.
 - the front right indicator comes on (solid as normal) but the rear right indicator does not work at all.
 - the front left indicator does not work at all, but the rear left indicator flashes as normal.

Everything else on the bike is working perfect, lights, horn, etc. And the bike runs perfect.

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

Christianleon266

• Crown Service Technician. 80's bike enthusiast.
  • Regular rider
Re: Odd Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »

Some food for thought:

I have an 07 GT250R, and the whole cluster didn't work. The tach did, but the LCD was unresponsive. Further more, when the LCD was connected to the motorcycle, the turn signals would flash at random intervals and some wouldn't work at all. After Disassembly I discovered the zener Diode responsible for sending excess voltage (anything >15v) to ground had exploded, and the IC for the indicator inputs was literally burnt. I replaced the cluster with an SS182, a bit of a pain wiring and calibrating, but at 35 Dollars and plug and play with the speed sensor and the fuel gauge , it made sense to do it. Plus the backlight changes colors.  :)

Unplug your gauge cluster from the bike, should be a blue connector. Use the turn indicators. Anything change? If yes and your good with electronics (component level replacement and debugging IC failures), tear into the gauge cluster and have at it. Or just replace with OEM or aftermarket.

However, if nothing changed while unplugging the connector, I would be eying the turn signal flasher ( found under the seat with a 3 prong connection.) or inside the turn signal housings themselves. It sounds like your cluster took a dump though.
2007 Kawasaki KX250F
1984 Yamaha Virago
1982 Honda V45 Sabre
1996 Kawasaki ZX6R
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna (Favorite)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750E
2005 Suzuki M50
1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2007 Hyosung GT250R
1991 Honda ST1100 (current)

Christianleon266

• Crown Service Technician. 80's bike enthusiast.
  • Regular rider
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »

If your cluster did take a dump, I would just locate a known good one off of the forum or ebay. Rewiring for an aftermarket gauge is possible but requires above average electrical knowledge to get connected, let alone connected correctly with solder and heat shrink tubing. Most of the GT250R gauges are plug and play swappable, but it would be  advisable to stay around if not exactly on the same year, or at least the same style/ look of cluster.
2007 Kawasaki KX250F
1984 Yamaha Virago
1982 Honda V45 Sabre
1996 Kawasaki ZX6R
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna (Favorite)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750E
2005 Suzuki M50
1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2007 Hyosung GT250R
1991 Honda ST1100 (current)

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:09 PM »

Before spending, I would disconnect the dash cluster and also the right hand side handlebar controls to look for evidence of water/arcing.

If it's all burned in the connector, that's not a good sign, but 'white rust' everywhere is easily fixable with some contact cleaner.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »

As upside down said , you probably have dodgy connections.
Like you have been advised , you need to remove the cluster (easy) , unplug everything going to it and clean / check all your connections/connectors . I would then use some electrical grease in connectors and plug it back it . It should work and if it doesn't , you have to go fault finding which is not as difficult as it sounds with the correct drawings and help from the guys here .
Have a go , you are not going to make it any worse and you will probably end up fixing it  ;)
i would probably bet money your cluster is fine and you have lost a feed or ground to it .It will be one of the connectors and there are only a few . It's really not that hard .
If it does turn out to be the cluster  :o , Ebay is your friend .
BTW I did say "probably" and not that I would bet money , not being a gambling man that is  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:39:40 PM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: [1]