• August 20, 2018, 09:27:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 2013 GT650.  (Read 1090 times)

onwingsoflead

• Learner rider
2013 GT650.
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet. Were the electrical issues addressed by 2013? Do I need to go ahead and order a Regulator/Rectifier? Anything else I should worry about up front? Or say screw it and let warranty deal with it? Also, does anyone offer a shorty exhaust for 2013 and up? I've found some, but they all say they fit up to 2012. Are they drastically different?

For the TL:DR crowd, here's my GT650

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTk6VMnCfP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:42:58 PM by onwingsoflead »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

madhatter

• Regular rider
Re: 2013 GT650.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »

I just had to replace my rectifier on my 2013, they only go for $130 anyway,
Electrical issues.. yes some, my speedometer doesn't even work lol can't tell rpms or speed.
Also, I have this exhaust: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ1XKF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sounds amazing and cheap!

onwingsoflead

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »

Interesting. I was looking at the Danmoto as well. Good to hear that it is great. The years mentioned on it makes me think the shorty I was looking at should fit as well.

How many miles do you have on your bike so far?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

All year models of Hyo 650 use the same reg/rec, so if it fits one, then it fits all of them.

That said, I would recommend that you spend a bit more and get one that is not designed to fit the Hyosung. The Shindengen FH020AA. There's a website called roadstercycle.com that have a kit they call the 'super kit'. It works extremely well and use a MOSFET, rather than serial diode design, which essentially means that it will live longer than we will. $130 for the peace of mind of knowing that it's not going to leave you by the side of the road.

As I mentioned earlier though, the FH020AA isn't a direct fit. It's going to need some work, but it's nothing ridiculous.

If you do decide to go down the path of a new reg/rec, do NOT get the Hyosung kit from roadstercycle.com it doesn't address the main problem with the Hyos. Get the super kit and adapt it. You will get a far better result.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

onwingsoflead

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »

I'm pretty comfortable with electronic work. What needs to be done to adapt it? I might go ahead and order it so that I can put it on while I'm off work next week.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Cycles-Exhaust-2003-2012-HYOSUNG/dp/B00M7BBDHY?keywords=hyosung+shorty+gt650&qid=1528984218&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa&psc=1 This is the exhaust I was looking at. Any experience?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »

That exhaust would drive you mad dude. Trust me, having a super loud exhaust gets old quick.

Your ears will faintly ring for days after a long ride, just enough to piss you off. ..and there's no 'stealth mode' for cruising past a cop.

Get an exhaust with at least some kind of baffling.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

bobe7316

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet.

Hi,

Just wondering how you bought a "new", 2013 GT650 in 2018.

I agree with umop-episdn. That exhaust end will be much too loud.

umop-episdn  I thought that the later fuel injected models of Hyosung GV250 had a factory upgraded R/R. My 2010 has 9000KM's on it and has given no trouble so far. I had a look at the FH020AA and it involves cutting and joining the 3 stator wires to a plug. I mean this is really no problem but if I was to upgrade to a better R/R I would be looking for one that would just plug onto the original wiring plugs. Does such a R/R exist.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:36:43 PM by bobe7316 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »

bob,

The 650s seem to be the ones with the more widespread issues. (heat?) The 250s historically have been longer wearing. That said, 9k kms is not a lot.

With regard to the reg/rec, you can pay a lot more for a reg/rec than US$130, but you absolutely cannot get a better reg/rec than the Shindengen FH020AA, regardless of the price point.

To get a product of its quality, you do what ever you can to MAKE it fit.

onwingsoflead

• Learner rider
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet.

Hi,

umop-episdn  I thought that the later fuel injected models of Hyosung GV250 had a factory upgraded R/R. My 2010 has 9000KM's on it and has given no trouble so far. I had a look at the FH020AA and it involves cutting and joining the 3 stator wires to a plug. I mean this is really no problem but if I was to upgrade to a better R/R I would be looking for one that would just plug onto the original wiring plugs. Does such a R/R exist.

Bob
Lol, excellent question. This shop took a couple in from a Hyo dealer that folded. Unsold inventory. They are selling them for 3699 USD. They all had 0 miles on them. Never even had gas in them, or a battery installed.

madhatter

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:00 AM »

Hi,

Bob
Lol, excellent question. This shop took a couple in from a Hyo dealer that folded. Unsold inventory. They are selling them for 3699 USD. They all had 0 miles on them. Never even had gas in them, or a battery installed.
If you're paying 2-4 grand for this bike, I recommend just getting another brand imho, such as honda or a yamaha, I am not hating on hyosung but if I had the choice to switch bikes, I probably would but don't get me wrong I love my hyosung.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5