• June 19, 2018, 09:30:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2013 GT650.  (Read 346 times)

onwingsoflead

• Training Wheels
2013 GT650.
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet. Were the electrical issues addressed by 2013? Do I need to go ahead and order a Regulator/Rectifier? Anything else I should worry about up front? Or say screw it and let warranty deal with it? Also, does anyone offer a shorty exhaust for 2013 and up? I've found some, but they all say they fit up to 2012. Are they drastically different?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

madhatter

• Learner rider
Re: 2013 GT650.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »

I just had to replace my rectifier on my 2013, they only go for $130 anyway,
Electrical issues.. yes some, my speedometer doesn't even work lol can't tell rpms or speed.
Also, I have this exhaust: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ1XKF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sounds amazing and cheap!

onwingsoflead

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »

Interesting. I was looking at the Danmoto as well. Good to hear that it is great. The years mentioned on it makes me think the shorty I was looking at should fit as well.

How many miles do you have on your bike so far?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

All year models of Hyo 650 use the same reg/rec, so if it fits one, then it fits all of them.

That said, I would recommend that you spend a bit more and get one that is not designed to fit the Hyosung. The Shindengen FH020AA. There's a website called roadstercycle.com that have a kit they call the 'super kit'. It works extremely well and use a MOSFET, rather than serial diode design, which essentially means that it will live longer than we will. $130 for the peace of mind of knowing that it's not going to leave you by the side of the road.

As I mentioned earlier though, the FH020AA isn't a direct fit. It's going to need some work, but it's nothing ridiculous.

If you do decide to go down the path of a new reg/rec, do NOT get the Hyosung kit from roadstercycle.com it doesn't address the main problem with the Hyos. Get the super kit and adapt it. You will get a far better result.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

onwingsoflead

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »

I'm pretty comfortable with electronic work. What needs to be done to adapt it? I might go ahead and order it so that I can put it on while I'm off work next week.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Cycles-Exhaust-2003-2012-HYOSUNG/dp/B00M7BBDHY?keywords=hyosung+shorty+gt650&qid=1528984218&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa&psc=1 This is the exhaust I was looking at. Any experience?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »

That exhaust would drive you mad dude. Trust me, having a super loud exhaust gets old quick.

Your ears will faintly ring for days after a long ride, just enough to piss you off. ..and there's no 'stealth mode' for cruising past a cop.

Get an exhaust with at least some kind of baffling.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

bobe7316

• Learner rider
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet.

Hi,

Just wondering how you bought a "new", 2013 GT650 in 2018.

I agree with umop-episdn. That exhaust end will be much too loud.

umop-episdn  I thought that the later fuel injected models of Hyosung GV250 had a factory upgraded R/R. My 2010 has 9000KM's on it and has given no trouble so far. I had a look at the FH020AA and it involves cutting and joining the 3 stator wires to a plug. I mean this is really no problem but if I was to upgrade to a better R/R I would be looking for one that would just plug onto the original wiring plugs. Does such a R/R exist.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:36:43 PM by bobe7316 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »

bob,

The 650s seem to be the ones with the more widespread issues. (heat?) The 250s historically have been longer wearing. That said, 9k kms is not a lot.

With regard to the reg/rec, you can pay a lot more for a reg/rec than US$130, but you absolutely cannot get a better reg/rec than the Shindengen FH020AA, regardless of the price point.

To get a product of its quality, you do what ever you can to MAKE it fit.

onwingsoflead

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »

My old trusty daily driver (97 Honda Rebel) is starting to get old bike temperamental. So, I'm heading down this weekend to buy a brand new 2013 GT650. Has never even had gas in the tank yet.

Hi,

umop-episdn  I thought that the later fuel injected models of Hyosung GV250 had a factory upgraded R/R. My 2010 has 9000KM's on it and has given no trouble so far. I had a look at the FH020AA and it involves cutting and joining the 3 stator wires to a plug. I mean this is really no problem but if I was to upgrade to a better R/R I would be looking for one that would just plug onto the original wiring plugs. Does such a R/R exist.

Bob
Lol, excellent question. This shop took a couple in from a Hyo dealer that folded. Unsold inventory. They are selling them for 3699 USD. They all had 0 miles on them. Never even had gas in them, or a battery installed.

madhatter

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:00 AM »

Hi,

Bob
Lol, excellent question. This shop took a couple in from a Hyo dealer that folded. Unsold inventory. They are selling them for 3699 USD. They all had 0 miles on them. Never even had gas in them, or a battery installed.
If you're paying 2-4 grand for this bike, I recommend just getting another brand imho, such as honda or a yamaha, I am not hating on hyosung but if I had the choice to switch bikes, I probably would but don't get me wrong I love my hyosung.

Pages: [1] 2 3