• September 21, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engine swap  (Read 582 times)

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
Engine swap
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »

Hi

I have a question for the guru's will a GT 650 engine fit a GV 650? I have seen it done the other way around.

I have been running a Why Go Stock chain conversion for a couple of years. However the master link on the chain let go yesterday with explosive results. Long story short the crank case is cracked in a number of places and the output shaft potentially bent.

In the UK I can only obtain a used GT 650 engine, so it looks like that is what I will have to fit.  Are there any unusual or special tools needed to fit or remove the engine? I would like to buy these in advance as to not slow down the engine swap process.......

Every day the bike is off the road is a day on the bus going to work! And I don't like the bus!

Cheers

Munky

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Engine swap
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »

Straight swap, so long as it is EFI era to EFI era or carby to carby.

The difference between an EFI engine and carby engine is ONLY the magneto/flywheel. On the carby models there are 7 magnets for the CDI to do it's crank positioning, while on the EFI engine, there are 13.

You will also have a 6 speed gearbox instead of 5 speed.

One special took required. You will need a T20 torx socket to remove the engine mount bolts. A 12mm hex will just of do the job, but it's likely to be the same sort of price as a T20 torx.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:15:28 PM »

Oh and you can mix an EFI engine with a carby bike and vise versa, as long as you swap over the magneto.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »

Thanks umop-ǝpisdn, that's what I needed to hear. Having 6 speeds sounds like a bonus as I was never happy with the spread of the 5.

This is my first engine change so will be pleased if it just works.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »

Thanks umop-ǝpisdn, that's what I needed to hear. Having 6 speeds sounds like a bonus as I was never happy with the spread of the 5.

This is my first engine change so will be pleased if it just works.
6th gear really makes a difference when cruising and popping along  8) .
Good luck and hope the engine swap goes well .
We expect to see lots of pictures and a good write up on the difference with a GT650 engine fitted .
They are strong engines and pull really well  ;)
BTW 12mm hex worked OK when I took my engine bolts out . I didn't even notice they were were Torx and thought they were Hex . Worked fine so happy days .
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:28:08 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:48:35 PM »

On my bike I am sure it is a hex and not a torx.

I have taken photos, but they are more for my reference when putting it back together. My messy garage is dark and not good for clear photos, but I'll have a go for you.

Replacement engine arrived today. It does not look pretty, but it is not damaged.  It could really do with a coat do new paint, which it will not get!

I am hoping to get my sons skateboard under the engine in the frame and wheel it out. Any bright ideas on the best way to get the old engine out and the new one in?

Cheers

Munky

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »

The old engine is out. I am starting to notice a couple of subtle differences. Firstly the casting for the breather pipe behind the rear head next to the clutch is different. Second the mounting point for the fuel pump bracket is not drilled and tapped. That's another job to add to the list.

Munky

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »

Sounds easy enough  ;)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

Munky,

I am guessing that the engine is an EFI version perhaps. On the EFI bikes, the fuel pump is in the tank, so they cut the cost of tapping a hole!

I've no answer for the breather.

Are you going to stick with chain drive?

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »

Hi all

The replacement engine is all built up and ready to go into the bike. However I'm really struggling to get it back in. Any advice from those that have done it before would be gratefully accepted.

With respect to the chain drive.......at the moment it will be the quickest and easiest way to get mobile as chains are easily available. However I many never use a master link again!

If I keep the bike long term I may revert back to a belt. It has it's own set of problems but probably would not be so risky if it breaks.

Pages: [1] 2