• September 21, 2018, 12:55:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engine swap  (Read 581 times)

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
Re: Engine swap
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »

It's in.

Just plumbing and electrics to do.

Then trying to resolve the differences between the two engines.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »

Tips for fitting:

Work from the back forward. Fit the bolt through the back of the engine first. Fit the rear header first.

Remove the radiator completely. You probably won't put an exhaust manifold through it, but are you feeling lucky? The only metal parts not made out of Korean bluetac/chewing gum alloy are the bits that will be protruding from your radiator. Remove it, place it in a safe. ..not a safe place. ..I mean an actual safe.

To remove the magneto, all you need is an M20x1.5 bolt. (or is it 1.25?) Removing it is ridiculously easy, just use an impact wrench to tighten the bolt into the magneto. If you do it by hand, you will fail. It needs a bit of rattle.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »

Fired up the replacement engine last night.  Started first time and seems to idle smooth and steadily. Just waiting for a new chain and sprocket cover to arrive then hopefully I will be mobile again :).

I have found the engine number and it seems to be from  a GTR. The biggest issue is that the breather from the rear cylinder fouls the exhaust pipe. I have rerouted it but the heat from the exhaust may burn and melt the hose as it it very close.

I am also struggling to source a chrome stator cover. The old one is cracked in 3 places. Can this be welded or glued? All ideas welcome.  For now I am using the painted one that came with the engine.

Cheers for all the advice, I don't think I would have attempted this without the knowledge from this forum.

Munky

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:53 AM »

Good on ya Munky!

I agree with spitty.

I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Funky_Munky

• Regular rider
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 07:11:19 AM »

Finally got to go out for a ride on it last night. The result is pretty epic, the engine seems sweet and way smoother than the one which broke. That makes me suspect there has been something wrong with the old for some time.

I did suspect the head gasket of the new engine had blown as there was oil in the coolant system.  I have flushed the system a couple of times and this seems to have cleared up.

My plans were to sell the bike once it was fixed as I have had reliability issues of late (I already have a replacement GV250 in the shed that I purchased yesterday). However, the GTR 650 engine seems so nice I may keep it.......until it breaks down again!

When I get time I will try and post a few photos.

Cheers All.

Pages: 1 [2]