• July 16, 2018, 03:10:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bike died middle of a drive in the middle of nowhere  (Read 174 times)

eliross

• Training Wheels
Bike died middle of a drive in the middle of nowhere
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »

Engine just gave a soft stutter and quit on a highway. Thought I might have a broken gas gauge and run out of gas (no sloshing when I shook the tank so gas gauge probably is broken). Threw some gas in it. Starter wouldn't turn over. Thought I had a dead battery even though the lights and instruments seemed strong. Had to push it full of camping gear on the edge of a narrow fenced highway for a kilometer. Tried to push start it down the off ramp and it turned over fine but wouldn't fire. Starter won't even click. Caught an expensive taxi home and found the battery to be at 12.55v. So I can't make heads or tails of a wiring diagram but hoping it's the 30 amp fuse (do the instruments panel and signals still work with the 30 amp fuse blown?) or, less likely, the kickstand switch or engine switch broke middrive? Any other suggestions before I taxi back out there tomorrow(and hope my bike is still there!). Thanks you guys are great!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Bike died middle of a drive in the middle of nowhere
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »

Take a 30A and a 15A fuse with you, just in case.
May be an idea to take a multimeter and test light too.
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Hylife

• I ride & I vote.
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »

Step one, check you have not accidentally flipped the big red kill switch.
Happens to the best of us, LOL.
Next I suggest you put the battery on a good charger overnight and see if it will start tomorrow.
If your bike is not at home to do this, try using a car battery to do a jump start.
If it does then you have just experienced the well know issue of a failed regulator rectifier.
If not then check the two fuses (30A and 15A).
Then check the solenoid by selecting neutral gear (very important), ignition key on, kill switch off and use a stout screwdriver to "momentarily" short the two large connectors. Do not be alarmed at the surprising amount of sparks as you make the bridge.

The RR takes the 60 to 90 volts AC from the stator and rectifies it to DC and then regulates that output to approx. 15 volts to the wiring loom. Because the wiring is so shit using undersized wire you only get approx. 14 volts to the battery.
The cheapo RR that Hyo uses generate masses of heat and they fail prematurely.
Measure at approx. 5,000rpm the three yellow wires from the stator at the RR input connector. Should read approx. 60volts AC. Think triangle. Any 2 wires at a time to measure. 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. All three phases should have roughly the same output.
Measure the RR output at the connector as approx. 15volts DC and at the battery as approx. 14volts DC.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:39:30 AM by Hylife »
2011 GV250 - 2011 GV650C - It's not 'what' you ride, it's 'that' you ride.

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »

Don't know if the fuse holder is the same as a GT650, but when I got stranded with a dead bike a few years back, it turned out the cable connector on the back of the fuse 'box' had fallen off.

I've also hit the red kill switch any number of times.....and felt such a twit every time!!

eliross

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 05:15:31 AM »

Yeah, I thought it was the kill switch at first as well. That's what it feels like but I toggled it multiple times. The battery was fully charged when I brought it home. So I think it is something like the kill switch or a fuse. I'll head back with my meter and check the fuses and clean the switch.

eliross

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

It was the kill switch. What are the chances of that failing while driving? Seems the spring that holds the contact was worn out. A quick and dirty fix until I got it home.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:51:31 AM by eliross »

spit051261

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »

Well done, good spotting.
It is a hyosung so anything is possible electrically  :)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Pages: [1]