• August 21, 2018, 11:13:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Starting issues  (Read 246 times)

Magnusy

• Training Wheels
Starting issues
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »

Hello again,

Recently I had 2 occasions where my bike failed to start. I put the key in,turn it, the pumps and everything went on (they made that "HUMMMM-ing" noise, but when I press the button, the engine in not cranking but making the same "HUMMM" as long as I hold the button. I think that's the sound of the fuel pump but I'm not sure.

The issue is solved by removing the key a few times and moving the bike on neutral a little (or maybe is a placebo). Sometimes it starts just by tapping the button a few more times.

Anyone encountered this?

Thanks!

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
Re: Starting issues
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »

Are the instruments showing? or does it say 'che' (check) which suggests an electrical fault, like say the side stand switch.

Might be related to the starter or sprag clutch (if moving the bike a bit 'releases something') or the big red button - someone recently had that button fail......do you use that to switch the bike off?  Some say you shouldn't use it except in emergency, so just stop the bike with the key.

Alternatively if just pushing the starter button a few times makes it eventually turn over, could the starter button have a fault?

If it starts eventually, hopefully it's not too hard to fix..... ???

Magnusy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »

Hello,

As an update, today it happened again. It took 10 second of tapping the starting button to make the bike start.

I never turn it off using the emergency button.

While riding it, the FI light came on and off multiple times but the bike was running OK.

I listened the bike while trying to crank it and indeed, under the tail i could've hear a clicking sound when the "HUMM-ing" sound was made by the bike.

I was thinking it could be the battery at fault. What do you think?

Thanks!

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:45 AM »

Could it be the spark shorting to ground?

Loose plug cap? Bad spark plug? Maybe a damaged high voltage lead?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Magnusy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »

Hey,

Spark plugs are new.

The coils I think are ok as the mechanic checked them when he changed the plugs.

Thanks!

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »

Starter button fault
To see what code you get whilst riding run a 2 core cable from the ECU plug to a switch on handle bars and switch it when you get the fault. It will then display fault.
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »

I think you have another post about fuel smell - could one plug not be firing and leaving unburned fuel to be sent out the exhaust?  Would that suggest a bad plug, cap or coil?

Check the voltage at your battery - the 650 has a charging/rectifier problem which is well documented, including an easy cure, not sure about the 250's, but a voltage check would maybe help see if the battery is not holding/getting enough charge.....

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »

I had the same thing with the FI light that turned out to be gear position sender.
No big deal but I changed it when I did the gear display mod and fault gone.

Galacticaone

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »

Hello
If you press the starter button and the starter does not engage, you have a problem with the starter selenoid.  If it is not the starter solenoid, there are a couple of sensors that will prevent the starter from engaging.  You have to check all the possibilities, from the switch to the ecu, the various safety cutouts and the solenoid.
Martin

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:48:59 AM »

Hello
If you press the starter button and the starter does not engage, you have a problem with the starter selenoid.  If it is not the starter solenoid, there are a couple of sensors that will prevent the starter from engaging.  You have to check all the possibilities, from the switch to the ecu, the various safety cutouts and the solenoid.
Martin
Not really Martin .
Could be the start switch which sounds more likely .
A tip on fault finding....always start with the basic stuff before diving into complicated ECU / sensor problems etc . because 9 times out of 10 , that is what it will normally be .
As far as his FI light , it is likely the Gear Position Sensor playing up .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:59:39 AM by spit051261 »

Pages: [1]