• October 22, 2018, 02:13:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help with diagnosis, soft clanging.  (Read 603 times)

JAFK

• Training Wheels
Help with diagnosis, soft clanging.
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:01:23 AM »

I just bought my 2006 GT650R used with 23,000 miles, thereís some stuff I need to do like a retune (itís running a little rich) and a new chain, although the chain isnít TERRIBLE.
Backstory this is my first bike and I am new to motorcycles but am fairly mechanically inclined.
Am willing to do some stuff myself but I lack a lot of tools so Iím mostly trying to get a good idea of whatís going on and if I canít work on it I will find a shop to do it.

Basically the bike will make this soft clanging sound, it closely resembles lightly tapping say your exhaust piping with a small crescent wrench.
It has that metal on metal sound, and by the pitch and all that it sounds like one of the pieces of metal making the noise is long.

Iím having a hard time correlating the noise with anything but I think i only really hear it when I am engine breaking and the bike starts to get to lower rpms,
As I said before itís running rich so the noise comes around the time the bike starts backfiring.
I was thinking these may be related because they are the closest related observations Iíve made.
When I pull in the clutch for the most part I donít hear the noise anymore so I try to stick to clutch and using the brakes. But some times even with the cluTch pulled in it will make a few soft tings.
The noise doesnít have any particular consistency, it doesnít have a hard trigger, and the noise itself isnít timed, the noises come in random speeds.
I havenít noticed the noise on the interstate but I doubt I could hear it anyways. Itís just lower speeds I have noticed it at, 50 mph and below. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I want to source this and get a solution underway.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Help with diagnosis, soft clanging.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:16:24 AM »

Suspicion - the chain guide has come off and the chain is making contact with the swinging arm when the top of the chain unloads.

Simple test - bang on the swinging arm with a crescent wrench and see if that's your noise.

Another possibility is that the cush drive has worn. The sprocket carrier is separated from the wheel by a series of rubber lugs called a cush drive. If one of the rubber lugs has worn and metal is making contact with metal, it would obviously make a noise. Possibly if it was one side of the lug that had come away, it may happen only when the chain unloads at the top / tensions the bottom run of the chain.

If you can safely raise the rear wheel, then perhaps start randomly wiggling/tapping stuff listening for a noise.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

JAFK

• Training Wheels
Re: Help with diagnosis, soft clanging.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 07:14:37 PM »

Well I seriously think the chain could be a high possibility, the chain is slightly loose so I could 100% see the chainguard being the culprit, I will do a few more tests and update, Iím planning on changing out the chain soon anyways, may look at the guard as well

Pages: [1]