• October 22, 2018, 12:22:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: another GT650 '08 not starting  (Read 1169 times)

yeders

• Learner rider
another GT650 '08 not starting
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »

hi guys.
my bikes been running well, the battery is about 1 year old and when bikes not in use it's on a trickle charger.
also fitted with an R1 R/R for a number of years, and charges at 14.3v

diagnosis:
1) in neutral
2) the ignition button is pressed
3) zero noise from the starter relay (usually if the battery is dead you get a series of clicks/ticks)
4) large screwdriver across the relay polls gets the bike running.

is it likely the relay is dead? is there some multimeter measurements across the terminals? could the ignition button fail? has anyone pulled the ignition handle component apart? can I unplug the handle component and trip the wires there to test that component?

I know the bike is getting a little long in the tooth.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:50:57 AM by yeders »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
Re: another GT650 '08 not starting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:09:55 AM »

You can strip the starter handle out to prove that first if you like , pretty easy .
I would probably put a test light/multi meter across the solenoid coil and relay to see if you are getting a voltage .
If you are and it's not energizing , solenoid U/S or start relay U/S.
If you are not getting a voltage there , check the start switch out . Make sure you have a feed into it and when you operate it , you get a feed out .
There are other circuits in place as well though so you need to check out a drawing .
My test gear is in work but if you have a multlimeter it's pretty easy to test by measuring the resistance across the coils . Just check it's not a very high or very low resistance (I would expect a 12v coil to around the 100 ohm mark , give or take 50  but I could be out a bit ;) .
You will know if it's fooked and just post here the values you get but check for voltage first .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:17:53 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »

Maybe it's also something simple like the side stand switch or clutch interlock?
2011 GV650

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »

Maybe it's also something simple like the side stand switch or clutch interlock?
Like I said , there are other circuits involved and if it's not the start switch or relay/solenoid , he will need a drawing .
Start off with the basics and go from there .
Sid , it could be ANYTHING so thanks for coming up with other things IT COULD BE  ::)  but with fault finding , you have to work you way though the circuits .
I tell you what , lets all be smart arses and see who can make the biggest list of THINGS IT COULD BE  and just forget about methodical fault finding  ::)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:55:59 AM by spit051261 »

yeders

• Learner rider
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

You can strip the starter handle out to prove that first if you like , pretty easy .
I would probably put a test light/multi meter across the solenoid coil and relay to see if you are getting a voltage .
If you are not getting a voltage there , check the start switch out . Make sure you have a feed into it and when you operate it , you get a feed out .
There are other circuits in place as well though so you need to check out a drawing .
My test gear is in work but if you have a multlimeter it's pretty easy to test by measuring the resistance across the coils . Just check it's not a very high or very low resistance (I would expect a 12v coil to around the 100 ohm mark , give or take 50  but I could be out a bit ;) .
You will know if it's fooked and just post here the values you get but check for voltage first .

thanks for the info.
when you say "across the solenoid coil and relay to see if you are getting a voltage ." do you mean across the poles on top of the relay, or across the wires on the lead that comes out from the relay? and we are all referring to this right? :-->

and you said "U/S", what do you mean?

thanks

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »

The smaller wires that feed the solenoid coil , the ones in your picture .
You have already proved you have a battery feed in and out of it by shorting it out .
On the smaller start relay , should be pins 85 and 86 .
U/S means "fooked" or in real terms , un serviceable .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:00:22 AM by spit051261 »

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

Like I said , there are other circuits involved and if it's not the start switch or relay/solenoid , he will need a drawing .
Sid , it could be ANYTHING so thanks for coming up with other things IT COULD BE  ::)  but with fault finding , you have to work you way though the circuits .
I tell you what , lets all be smart arses and see who can make the biggest list of THINGS IT COULD BE  and just forget about methodical fault finding  ::)

They are basics Spit - takes seconds to link them out and eliminate them as a possible cause.
2011 GV650

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »

They are basics Spit - takes seconds to link them out and eliminate them as a possible cause.
Sorry buddy but I was taught to take a methodical approach to fault finding ( I do it for a living on Komatsu 930E , LeTourneau loaders , CAT everything and Hitatchi 3600) and I can't just jump around a system and test everything "it could be" .
It is an interesting approach to fault finding mind  ::)

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Sorry buddy but I was taught to take a methodical approach to fault finding ( I do it for a living on Komatsu 930E , LeTourneau loaders , CAT everything and Hitatchi 3600) and I can't just jump around a system and test everything "it could be" .
It is an interesting approach to fault finding mind  ::)

Wait you dont take to everything with a big torch of FIRE. what a boring way to fix things.

I like to burn the shit to the ground then rebuild it 100x better, or in some cases 100x worse. Never sure which it is.

yeders

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »

Okay. i'll check the voltage across it and let you know.
what do you mean 'energizing'?
if the relay is broken, would you still get some voltage out of the two wires?

Further, where is the smaller starter relay that you mentioned re pins 85?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7