• October 22, 2018, 12:36:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 2006 GT650R Engine Knock  (Read 1327 times)

TheEhTeam

• Learner rider
2006 GT650R Engine Knock
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:22:55 AM »

What would you guys make of this? Pretty heavy engine knocking, there's also been a metallic ticking around for some time now (seems to be coming from closest to the crank case). The only mechanics shop that will look at my bike in the area are saying nothing is wrong.

https://files.fm/u/4y55qdmh#/

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: 2006 GT650R Engine Knock
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »

G'day eh,

Definitely not normal.

I would be hoping that it is the rear timing chain tensioner.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

TheEhTeam

• Learner rider
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 01:09:00 AM »

Thank you, that'll give me an idea of where to start.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 02:53:59 AM »

Maybe get two tensioners, one for the front and one for the rear, just in case.

Consider getting gaskets as well. Oil leaks suck.

Don't remove the locking tab (it's a piece of red plastic) until they are in place, otherwise it's a bit of a PITA to wind them back up.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »

That sounds quite nasty - kinda bottom end.
How many miles on the bike?

It's been known for a dodgy coil to cause a bottom end noise due to slightly uneven firing. I can only go by the vid, but that don't sound like cam chain / valve gear noise to me..
2011 GV650

TheEhTeam

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:54:36 AM »

It has only 23,000-26,000 kms. Two previous owners, dropped by both a couple times. My girlfriend knocked it over with her car once. Ran good for a month or two after I bought it and replaced brakes and a dead battery. Last owner lied to me about it being serviced and 'good to go' for the season. Lots of problems. I've spent the last two seasons only pulling things apart and fine tune adjustments on carbs fuel and air lines and taking it out to find if the problem dissipated it would only be for a week at most and return. Listening closely I feel umop-ǝpisdn is on to something with the timing chain and tensioner. When the bike starts cold there is that hard knocking until it warms up then RPM's raise a small bit and the knocking 'quiets' a becomes more natural. However after she's hot after 20 minutes of riding, anytime I hold a steady throttle it misfires and hunts and kicks all over unless I gas the sh*t out of it. I had replaced the ignition coils with SV650 ones as suggested. Once again about a week later problem surfaced. It's been frustrating and I keep giving up. I found the SV650 coils were very close to the top end resistance of the service manual and when heated would surpass the suggested amount. I later cleaned up and switched around some boots and cables to get the resistance back to mid range. Yet the problem persists.

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

Ok,

So you've ruled the coils out.
However, listening to the video it sounds bottom end. I have cam chain rattle on mine at the moment and it doesn't even remotely sound like the video.
Chains & valve gear rattle - that's a knock.
2011 GV650

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »

Sid,

Yeah but is the knock 270 degree phased?

It woulds to me like the noise is double the RPM.

Sid

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »

Sid,

Yeah but is the knock 270 degree phased?

It woulds to me like the noise is double the RPM.

Possibly mate,

Mind you, he's also saying it's missing and running rough, which can sometimes make it sound like there's a bottom end issue.
Wonder if the carbs need setting up and syncing?
Get rid of the rough running and go from there??
2011 GV650

TheEhTeam

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:25:34 AM »

Hey Sid

She only starts to misfire after a good 20 minute ride when warmed then if the RPM is held constant for a minute or two usually lower speeds it will start misfiring badly. If I do not throttle excessively and rapidly or drop a gear if the road speed isn't in my bad zone; where revs are high in 1 but really low in 2 (which is just about every street). I always felt the carbs were the culprit or fuel restriction/worn air lines at least. I have removed them countless times and ensured they were cleaned thoroughly and the float height has not needed adjusting. I adjusted the fuel mixture screw a few times enriching and and leaning trying to find the sweet spot. Never could get to adjusting them with the bike running unfortunately, even with the Motion Pro carb adjusting tool. I found it ran better rich as lean would cause the issue sooner. The carbs have been synced via a bench sync and with a manometer. Granted the manometer was home made but as air tight as I could tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5