• October 23, 2018, 03:19:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Newbie introduction and question regarding alternate carbs for GV250  (Read 200 times)

Airman

• 2005 GV250 survivor
  • Training Wheels

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the board due to my recent purchase of a GV250. The great Google matchmaker led me to Korider and I'm hoping to contribute as much as I borrow. Except for a brief love affair with a Yamaha 850SEL back in the 80's I've ridden dirt since I  could walk, and do most of my own maintenance. That said, this 2005 GV250 was sitting outside covered for couple years before i found it. I started by removing all the rust from the tank, changed the oil / filter, new fuel pump, new fuel lines, new battery, disassembled and cleaned the petcock and fuel sending unit. Then i got into the carbs. after a long soaking (in white vinegar) and through cleaning I reassembled. I also pressure tested the intake boots to confirm no leaks and removed the exhaust and blew it out to be sure it was clear. She started right away and idles but something isn't right . Got on for a test run and she struggled up a 15 degree driveway... I've since discovered  the carbs (Minkuni BDS 26) is supposed to have an acorn nut in each, one has acorn nut and the other has a silver cap with a hole in it...if your following me you know that means the needle is coming into the hole. Admittedly I thought that was strange when I was cleaning but my 1st time inside this carb. I also notice the air screw caps have been removed and one side is in noticeably further than the other.  Looking around for parts rebuild is an option, I also see a new set of carbs is $600.  I'd prefer to buy new carbs but before i do i'd like to know what other brand / model bikes use the same carbs? ...I hate long posts but newbie intro and all...
If you haven't rebuilt it yet you aren't twisting hard enough

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Newbie introduction and question regarding alternate carbs for GV250
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:46:40 AM »

Welcome to the board Airman. Hope you find a place here!

If you're anywhere near Texas, albertinhouston is sure to have a spare set of used carbs.

Alternately whygostock.com has a lot of service parts for Hyosungs.

If you wanted to clean them, be aware, I have never seen a single person be successful on their first tear down and clean. Three is the standard number.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Airman

• 2005 GV250 survivor
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and the notice on 3 cleaning minimum, umop.
Are there any other brand / model bikes which use the same carb?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »

Pretty sure that the Suzuki VL250 intruder is just s rebadged bike, identical in almost every way.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Airman

• 2005 GV250 survivor
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »

Thanks again, Umop. From what I could find the VL250 is a single carb with a Y boot and different cables... I decided to buy new internals and see if that works out. If not, I'll  look closer at converting  to the suzuki VL250 setup. Thanks again.
When i get pack into the carbs i'll take some pics and update.

Airman

• 2005 GV250 survivor
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:01 AM »

Rebuild kit and acorn nut arrived today and that was all she needed, runs and rode great!

The acorn nut head had sheared off previously and that was allowing air in.

I also find the quick way to install the air box. With the intake boots installed loosen the clamps and slide them down. Insert the air box so it's up against the frame and tilt it about 30 degrees. Now insert the carbs on an angle so the meet up to the edge of the air box at the top and intake at the bottom (as if they were hinged). Now turn the carb and air box so they come together and carbs fit into the boots. Keeping everything on an angle first allows every thing to fit. It literally took less than 5 min.

Cant seem to load pics from my phone so I'll have to follow up from my desktop.

Pages: [1]