• December 19, 2018, 02:43:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Engine bog/die possible solution  (Read 246 times)

JPFrost

• Training Wheels
Engine bog/die possible solution
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:06:24 PM »

I have a 2009 GV250 and it worked fine when I first bought it from a friend.  But it wasn't long before the engine bogged while I was on a 6 hour trip.  About three hours in it just died, as if zero gas was getting to the engine, or zero spark.  I desperately tried everything I could think of to get it going again and suddenly the engine would roar back to life, jerking me forward as it rapidly bogged, then kicked back to life.  I added gas treatment to see if I had water in the fuel (I had been riding through the rain for about an hour), and the bike seemed to be ok after that.  I made it to my destination but I was shaken.  I couldn't trust it anymore. 

I looked here and online to see what it might be.  I considered rust in the gas line, an overheating front coil wire, water in the carbs, other crud in the carbs, bad fuel filter, loose battery post connection, vacuum seal in the fuel tank... I checked all these things and nothing.  I thought maybe Seafoam seemed to help. 

Then one day I was heading back from the lake and it did it again.  It was a perfectly sunny day and the bike was dry and cool.  I was pretty upset, but then I thought of something.  Someone had mentioned the kickstand switch and I had initially dismissed it.  The problem seemed to be symptomatic more of a gas or overheating issue.    As the bike started to jerk, shutting down then roaring back to life again, I took a chance and using my boot, held the kickstand tighter against the bike as I was riding (ok not the safest thing I admit).  The bike instantly stopped jerking and dying.  I couldn't believe it.  Could that stupid little switch really be doing this?  I let go and the bike started acting up again.  Again I held the stand in and it ran perfectly.

I strongly encourage anyone whose bike is doing something similar to check this switch first.  After some easy rewiring I disconnected the switch and I haven't had an issue since.  Once I knew what it was I could see what was happening.  On roads that were slightly bumpier it would act up.  On the smooth pavement it ran pretty well.  The funny thing is I didn't even notice the roads it was acting up on were bumpier.  It really didn't take much to cause it to act up.  And it seemed to be getting worse.  Hope this helps someone and happy riding. 

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Engine bog/die possible solution
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:05:32 AM »

Good work figuring it out!

The side stand safety switch is a known headache for all Hyo models, but to be honest I didn't see that coming. From the first part of your tale, I assumed it was a fuel or carb issue also.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:26 AM »

Well done .
I had the same thing a while ago and posted here about it .
My bike cut out while I was doing around 175 KPH (private road of course ::)) and I crapped myself  :o .
First thing I did when I got back home and worked it out was to short that bastard out . Happy days  ;D
I can see why it has been fitted but when it faults , it can lead to a very dangerous situation when riding through traffic , at speed  .
I believe that if you ride off with your kickstand down , you deserve everything you get .
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:06:14 AM by spit051261 »
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

AJC650

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »

Like spit051261, I bypassed the sidestand switch permanently..... I've ridden for a lot of years and never had a sidestand safety switch before, so I reckoned I could survive without it!!

Pages: [1]