• November 15, 2018, 11:18:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FI Errors 0171 and Bad Connections.  (Read 654 times)

xuraax

• Learner rider
Re: FI Errors 0171 and Bad Connections.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »

The O2 sensor would trigger that alert.

I removed the 2 sensors and the result to me is the opposite of what was to be expected (see Picture):
The bottom sensor is the one monitoring the front cylinder and it was totally covered in soot which indicates a rich mixture not a lean one as indicated by error 0171.

Swapping the 2 around still indicated that the problem remains in the front cylinder which rules out the sensors themselves.

The funny thing is that very recently I had replaced the plugs. Th old ones, which I still have not thrown away, show perfect colour so I must have somehow caused this problem when I had removed the tank and the air filter assembly to replace the plugs.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:24:44 PM by xuraax »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

xuraax

• Learner rider
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »

Hi,

As a followup to this problem I have changed the original title of the thread and am putting forward the following comments in the hope that if this problem gets finally resolved it will serve as a future help to me and others who may be suffering from similar problems.

To recap, despite the fact that error number 0171 indicated a lean mixture on cylinder 1 the soot on the O2 sensor showed that the problem was exactly the opposite.

The measured voltage across the sensor was greater than 1V (Sensor 2 was at 0.35V). I concluded that although the sensor itself was reading correctly, there must be an open circuit between the sensor and the ECU which would cause the ECU to read 0V at its appropriate input. This would logically generate the 0171 error and at the same time force the ECU to inject more fuel to compensate.

Unfortunately I was unable to confirm this open circuit since the act of taking out the ECU and unglugging the 2 connectors probably caused the 2 pins to reconnect again.

Sure enough when I restarted the motor the error cleared completely. The voltage at the sensor went down to about 0.8V which although not at the ideal figure of about 0.4V, at least the FI error disappeared.

I then went out for a half an hour ride to verify the result. Initially everything went well but during the second half of the ride the red FI lamp came on again and the power became erratic.

Checking the error number back home resulted in a total of 3 errors all of which were related to the 2 sensors.

After this and obviously disgusted I left the bike in the garage for a couple of days untouched.

Today I went back; I disconnected and reconnected the 2 plugs and the problem disappeared again. The connectors themselves appear to be in good condition and tugging and poking  all the related wires and connectors whilst the bike was running did not result in any problems.

Despite all this I still think it is a connection issue. Is there anything I can do to make these connections reliable?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 10:27:18 PM »

Hmm. What if it's not a connector issue, but rather a temperature/fatigue issue?

A poorly crimped connector that can work it's way loose, or a wire that has fatigued and work hardened due to temperature and vibration.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 12:05:17 AM »

My 02 sensor reads .7 volts when cold and .6 volts when warmed up .
My bike seems to run fine and it is switching between rich and lean so that's OK .
http://korider.com/index.php?topic=29670.10
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

xuraax

• Learner rider
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »

Hmm. What if it's not a connector issue, but rather a temperature/fatigue issue?

A poorly crimped connector that can work it's way loose, or a wire that has fatigued and work hardened due to temperature and vibration.

How do I go about diagnosing fatigue issues? I have been poking and pulling the wires on either side of the connectors but this did not generate any errors or misfires.

Re connector contacts, what is the recommended way of cleaning and then protecting them against moisture ingress.? So far I am using standard CRC Contact Cleaner commonly used in electronics which should be cleaning the pins but not necessarily protect them from moisture.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »

Dilectric grease is the most common way that I know of to protect a connector from moisture.

As for diagnosing a bad connector, perhaps just swap the sensor? If the code follows, then you can be pretty sure that it's either a bad wire, or a bad O2 sensor. Either way, the solution is to replace the O2 sensor. I could also be that the sensor has taken a knock from a stone, or been similarly damaged somehow.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: 1 [2]